Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The 19mph avg pace game

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The 19mph avg pace game

Old 09-15-21, 12:44 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
In 2017 I commuted nearly 4K miles and averaged about 17+. It didn't really matter which bike I used. Tried it with my Rockhopper with suspension fork or rigid with 2.1" tires or the Pinarello Montello with 23's or the Langster with 48/16 gearing.
ts the damn traffic!
Since moving south, not so many miles. Couple of hills here that encouraged me to move to a triple on the Pin.
Old 09-15-21, 05:54 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Well, the blue Lemond made it into the "club" today also. Just not sure if it really counts. Was put back on Prednisone yesterday to try and clear up my lungs. Makes me really agitated and I couldn't sleep last night. Today at work was more of the same. So I don't know if the steroid is just helping me breath normal or "enhancing" me. Anyway, after starting off easy the first couple of miles I managed to do a 25.13 mile ride in 1:18:33 with 507ft of climbing. Avg pace was 19.2 mph but it really hurt to do that. HR was still higher than normal like has been happening the past couple of weeks and the lungs hurt but today they didn't "break down" from the effort. I did have to fight a pretty good headwind coming home and in the last mile when I thought I was going to fall short I saw 180 bpm as I fought for speed. That unusually high for me. I checked my stats and for all the other 19+ rides of the year my avg HR was between 143-156 bpm. Today it was 163 bpm. So what was it made that made this work today, the bike, the steroids'. or maybe, just maybe it was the Triple Western Bacon Cheeseburger I had for lunch today from Carls Jr. Not even kidding, maybe the "juice" is Carl's Jr junk food, LOL!

Italian built Lemond and Campagnolo, it' just has to go fast no matter what!

Last edited by jamesdak; 10-28-21 at 07:54 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 09-15-21, 05:57 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by shoota
Geez you have some nice bikes!
Well I'm an empty-nester now and think of these as my kids. On top of that I'm in Utah and influenced by all the big LDS families around me. I'm just trying to keep up, LOL!!!
Old 09-17-21, 12:47 PM
jamesdak 

Whew, close call today. I almost had to eat my own words.

It's getting to the point where the bikes I have left to try each have a minor issue or two to sort out. Clicking drivetrain, loose spoke, headset issue, etc. So this morning I grabbed the carbon Trek 5200 to try. Started out easy but with the cool temps and calm conditions even those first warm up miles were pretty fast. I still haven't really been sleeping well due to the meds but at least this morning I was juiced up on four cups of coffee and then about 30 ozs of water before I went out. I also refueled at mile 15 with an oatmeal, raisin cookie. Was on a 19.5 mph avg them and wondered if maybe I could get to a 20 mph avg since most of the remaining route was flat and there was no wind. Couldn't pull it off though. Sorta glad because I certainly don't want the carbon bike to be the fastest, LOL! Still in all honesty it equaled what I think is my fastest pace of the year. The GP&GS Lemond ran the same avg as this one a couple of weeks ago but I will say on the Lemond I held the pace for three more miles and my HR avg was 10 beats less than today's.

So anyway, today's ride on the old carbon, 26.52 miles at 1:20:56 with 523 ft of climbing for an average pace of 19.7 mph. Avh HR was 154 bpm which is on the high end of my normal range for such and effort but so much better than those 160+ numbers I've been seeing lately.

I really need to get some proper pictures of this one. It's got a Thomsen seatpost, new Zonda wheels, new cassette, and a Fizik Chameleon on it now.
Old 09-19-21, 03:09 PM
jamesdak 

No riding Saturday, rains kept rolling through and I'm wimpier now than I used to be when it comes to raining in the rain. Headed out this morning on the CAAD8 but had an issue with the FD right away. So I turned around and came back to the house. Grabbed the Evans bike off the rack, pumped up the tires, moved the saddle bag, bottles, etc. over to the Evans and headed back out. Winds were pretty rough today with a front moving through and I didn't really expect a fast ride. One of those days were the winds kept changing direction and it was hard to maintain a consistent pace. Just tucked in the drops when it was in my face and got up on the hoods when it was pushing. At the one hour mark I was right over 19.5 miles so I knew I had to go for it. The final miles were the worse. Riding hard at around 22 mph when it was calmer and then the gusts would smack me and knock me down into the mid teens. Last miles the speed was all over the place. Lungs actually held out until the final few miles and I think that was mainly because of fighting the winds. Anyway, somehow managed to just sneak this one today, but just barely.

26.67 miles, 1:24:23, 611 feet of climbing, at an even 19.0 mph avg. HR avg 155 bpm.

This is such a well made, and nice riding bike.

This shows how the speed was really bouncing around due to the winds, especially that last miles where I was struggling to stay on the pace.
Old 09-24-21, 02:17 PM
jamesdak 

Hoping to add either the one XL Super or the CAAD8 to the list tomorrow. Actually tried again with the CAAD Wednesday and missed it by a 1/10th of a mph. Beginning to think this bike is cursed.

Went out on it after work and things were cool and calm. Was running a good pace without really trying. Then with about 10 miles to go the evening headwinds kicked in. Gave it all the ol' body had but just spent too much time with the winds knocking down my speed. This is starting to get personal, LOL!

4 rides on the CAAD now, two jacked up by mechanicals, one by sick lungs, and now the wind that bested my legs. We will not be defeated!
Old 09-24-21, 02:32 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Ok, since I haven't seen any ride this year where I've broken 20 mph for an average pace I decided to come up with a new goal. I want to have one ride of at least 24 miles (basic daily route) on each of my road bikes that cracks the 19 mph avg. With today's ride included I've managed that with only 7 of them so far this year. I am slowing down I think.

The "qualifiying" rides so far:

May 29th, 26.56 miles, 1:21:56, 447ft Pinarello 19.5 avg pace

Jun 12th, 41.37 miles, 2:10:34, 554ft, Y-Foil 19.0 avg pace

Jun 13th, 41.41 miles, 2:10:23, 531ft, Kirk Fishlips bike 19.1 avg pace

Jun 26th, 40.58 miles, 2:06:49, 607ft, Team Z Lemond 19.2 avg pace

Jul 24th, 40.12 miles. 2:06:29 505ft, Duell 19.0 avg pace

Aug 1st 40.06 miles, 2:06:22 554ft, Klein 19.0 avg pace

Aug 24th 24.97 miles 1:18:06 538ft Opus III 19,2 avg pace

I really have to give credit to the Opus III today. I went out wanting to do a fast ride but the conditions did suck. Had to ride most of the first 14 miles into a brisk headwind. But the Opus fought it's way through the first half of the ride strongly and let me cruise in for the final half. Also had several "traffic" issues that easily cost me about 2 minutes on the ride. It really was faster than the avg shows.

So that's 7 of the 21 bikes I have that qualify for this challenge. Should be interesting. About half of the remaining bikes have done this easily in past years. Still don't have a long ride of any sort on the Softride I've been messing with and the old Scwinn 684 is a bit of a mess right now too. I think everything else should be able to pull it off under this fat old man. I wonder if I can even sneak the Guv'nor into this, that might take a perfect day to get there. Anyway, should be fun trying to get this done over the next month or so before the cold sets in.
A couple of things. I love how you formatted the thread to both boast a bit AND show off some beautiful rides. Well done.

My best averages were in the 16 range and even that was mostly only with a group. I was ok with that aspect of it. Mostly concentrated on getting miles, checking some scenery, and wasting a bit of the hours of the day in the pursuit of something healthy. I can only be envious-ish of that manner of speed.
Old 09-24-21, 07:41 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
A couple of things. I love how you formatted the thread to both boast a bit AND show off some beautiful rides. Well done.

My best averages were in the 16 range and even that was mostly only with a group. I was ok with that aspect of it. Mostly concentrated on getting miles, checking some scenery, and wasting a bit of the hours of the day in the pursuit of something healthy. I can only be envious-ish of that manner of speed.
Boast about the bikes for sure but I just don't see the speed as a big deal. To be honest I'm not that fast based on my failure to keep up with some of the others around here. And the fact that now that I am really trying for speed yet haven't even hit a 20 mph avg ride yet means I really am slowing down. In years past I'd have several rides of that speed annually. I think the bad knees restricting my climbing that much is slowing me down. Now back in my running days I was fast!

I just picked what appears to be my max avg now and am tying to prove that all the bikes can pretty much pull that off. Starting to run out of time though as it'll most likely be turning cold here soon and my lungs do not do well in the cold anymore.

I'm sitting here looking at the old Schwinn 684 I'm should be working on. It's still setup to my son's fit. I only had a few test rides on it a couple of years ago before my son commandeered it. I have no clue what it's going to be like to ride hard nor the Softride that's only seen a few short test rides. It's about to get interesting over the coming weeks, LOL!

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-24-21 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-25-21, 11:54 AM
jamesdak 

Da**it! I have to be missing something on this bike. Took out the CAAD8 again, perfect morning conditions. But it just seems like for every section of road this thing is a 1 or 2 mph slower than I would expect on any of my bikes for the effort I'm giving . Hard to believe something mechanical can be sucking that much power out. I held nothing back today, I'm wore out, and yet I wasn't even close. Knew it at mile 15 when I was already off the pace. Paid more attention to what I perceived was going on today. One thing is the bike "chatters" more under me then pretty much anything else I have. By that I mean, while not what I would call harsh, it's always hitting away at me in the saddle and even through the pedals on the chipseal. I also noticed that when I'm on the rougher road sections and stand to pedal the rear feels like it's jumping around a bit when it hits bad spots in the road. I haven't measured the chain because I plan on replacing it anyway when I do some upgrades on this. Hard to believe that it could be bleeding off this much power even if worn. I wonder about the wheel bearings too. The guy did say he used it to commute in the winter. I had to service the freehub because it was dry and grinding. They feel smooth but who knows under load what's going on. I'm thinking it's time to just drop this off at the LBS with the new bars, chain, and Dura Ace shifters and let them tear down and service the whole bike. I can't believe it's really incapable of this nor do I feel like I'm not able. I feel like I'm putting more effort in on this bike than any of the others recently so I don't understand the lack of speed. Today at the 15 mile point I stopped, refueled, air down the tires a bit in case the stiff frame was not dealing with the chipseal well, and even swapped my music to Gun 'n Roses Greatest Hits. I should have be able to fly home, LOL! Anyway, a bit frustrated. Time to shower and get some work done today. Hopefully I'm just not suddenly getting slower and slower.

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-25-21 at 08:25 PM. Reason: because my typing sucks anymore with this wandering ol' brain. So many grammar mistakes.
Old 09-25-21, 02:11 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Kids these days always worrying about speed.
Seasoning proves that saddle time is the measure of pleasure.

YMMV
Ride on.

Maybe it's the 'brifters' holding you back?

clear your handlebars and your mind will follow.
Old 09-25-21, 03:25 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Wildwood

YMMV
Ride on.

Well the rear one is sticking a bit.

I think it's the Vittoria tires, I prefer Conti and Veloflex 'cause we all know they're faster!

Or maybe it's just more of the same reason I got rid of the carbon bikes and went with steel. Steel is just faster on these crapper chipseal, cracked, holey, patched up, roads.

Or maybe the Klein is better than the Cannondale and has a more supple ride. Let the debate begin!
Old 09-26-21, 08:05 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood

YMMV
Ride on.

Agreed. I don't chase the numbers - I push myself and know when I've done well for the day!
Old 09-26-21, 09:08 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by hose
Agreed. I don't chase the numbers - I push myself and know when I've done well for the day!
Missing the point of this fun exercise. It's not about what number the top speed is, it's about showing that all my bikes are actually pretty much as capable as the rider is and that no frame material, age, drivetrain setup, country of origin, etc really means anything. "It's all about the engine"

Well .....unless it's a Cannondale it appears.

Today I've got the Softride sitting in front of me waiting to finally get it's first full ride under me ever. Not planning on trying to get this one into the club today but who knows.

This is how it'll be going out today except for a minor adjustment I made tilting the nose of the saddle down a bit. One of my heavier bikes at 23 lbs 5 ozs as it sits.
Old 09-26-21, 09:29 AM
hose
Miyata Mike

Missing the point of this fun exercise. It's not about what number the top speed is, it's about showing that all my bikes are actually pretty much as capable as the rider is and that no frame material, age, drivetrain setup, country of origin, etc really means anything. "It's all about the engine"

Well .....unless it's a Cannondale it appears.

Today I've got the Softride sitting in front of me waiting to finally get it's first full ride under me ever. Not planning on trying to get this one into the club today but who knows.

This is how it'll be going out today except for a minor adjustment I made tilting the nose of the saddle down a bit. One of my heavier bikes at 23 lbs 5 ozs as it sits.
Cool bike. Its about the engine but i think you're downplaying the importance of the wheelset and components. Steel aluminum carbon doesn't matter they're all more than capable of that pace if you pedal hard!
Old 09-26-21, 09:52 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by hose
Cool bike. Its about the engine but i think you're downplaying the importance of the wheelset and components.
Well, I love light, aero wheels as much as the next rider and sweet newer 11 speed setups.

But look at all the bikes above and what I've been able to do with them as an average rider who obviously cannot ride a bike to it's full potential. See anything above that says for an average rider the wheels and components make a difference?

I mean when my 7 speed DT, boxed tubular equipped Opus III can equal or better the times of bikes several pounds lighter with aero carbon wheels and 11 speed modern components I think it means for most of us mere mortals there really isn't a lot to be gained by new tech.

That said....I am still going to configure and buy those super light carbon wheels for the Cannondale. Gotta have at least one bike in the 16 lb range even if it doesn't go any faster.
Old 09-26-21, 10:50 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
I very much enjoy this thread @jamesdak! Here's a speed graph from my ride this morning. I was meeting a friend at the start and was running late, so I really was trying to push things for the first 10 miles, but you can see the big drop offs every time I came to a light (and a couple of steeper climbs in that sequence). Not nearly as consistent as what you show!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-26-21, 11:41 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
Average speed and split times were my main metrics, in addition to noting my ability to hang with the faster/fastest regional training rides.

I have to credit the bikes with having significant effect on speed, especially here in the foothills with all of the altitude changes.
Surprises were a Bridgestone 400 having 7s Command shifters, and a 1967 PX10 having 7s STI and old aero Roval tubulars.
The ergonomic fit of the bike, the particular gearing and the quality of the tires seem perhaps more important than the weight of these two heavy-ish bikes, both of which gave me some of my best avg speeds and split times.
A stock 1979 Fuji Professional with 7s friction shifting also surprised me with it's recorded speed.

The fit is really important WRT encouraging the rider to more effortlessly get off of the saddle (and back and forth) for attacks on hills with less downshifting. I credit the more-forward saddle position primarily, and which also allows the rider to achieve better aero without bending further at the waist.

My best average for a hilly 45 miles (which included the 19 miles down to the ride start plus some 22 miles of actual group riding with local racers) was 19.67mph on what I believe was/is a 1967 Peugeot. This when I was almost 50 and in nearly the best shape of my life.
Old 09-26-21, 12:59 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by nlerner
I very much enjoy this thread @jamesdak! Here's a speed graph from my ride this morning. I was meeting a friend at the start and was running late, so I really was trying to push things for the first 10 miles, but you can see the big drop offs every time I came to a light (and a couple of steeper climbs in that sequence). Not nearly as consistent as what you show!
Yep, I love where I live for the riding. I will probably downsize when I fully retire but the biggest consideration will be moving to a place with lots of quiet backroads to ride on.
Old 09-26-21, 01:28 PM
jamesdak 

Whoomp There It Is!! The first 20 mph avg of the year and I think the first time in the past 3 years. Last two years were bad for me with the wreck and AC joint separation and then the 7 months off last year due to the knees really going to crap.

I've had the Softride for awhile now. Made some upgrades but never took it out for more than 5 miles or so to test the function of the changes I made. I got it about the same time I realized I had to downsize and basically decided to just fix it up and pass it on. So I never gave it a full honest ride because I didn't want to like it. Well......I blew it today. Went out easy to warm up the first few miles but this bike was just flying. So I decided to give it a full run and see how it goes. I did have to make a few riding style adjustments. First on all the hard bumps were I instinctively unload my weight on the saddle I had to stop doing that on this. Just let the beam do it's magic, and it really does ride like magic. Then I really had to pay attention to the pedal stroke or it would feel bouncy. Downstroke, push forward, and pull rearward all the same but felt like it was bouncing it I pulled up aggressively on my stroke. Total opposite of yesterday's ride on the CAAD8 where I felt like it was always slower. Today this was always faster, section for section. On all the rough sections of road I got the usually chatter in the bars and pedals but nothing in the saddle. In fact for the worse section of road I ride that has small holes and cracks all over it I was able to just ride a straight line. I just loosened my grip on the bars and let them dance in my hands while the beam took out every bit of jolting in the saddle. The beam doesn't start bouncing when you hit bumps it just gives you a sensation of sailing over them like you're on glass smooth tarmac. If you can't tell, I was impressed and need to eat my words from the post I made earlier this morning about the equipment not mattering.
Needless to say, the ad I have for this bike locally is coming down today!

So anyway, the details of today's wonderful ride. 26.70 miles in 1:20:08 with 489 ft of elevation. Avg Pace was an even 20.0 mph.

It honestly could have been faster today. On a lot of the route I felt great and could have dropped one more gear for more speed easily. I also hardly ever spent anytime in the drops, the bike was just flying along that well. And, unlike yesterday, I had a lot of "interference" in the ride today with cars at intersections and people in the way multiple times for the miles I did on the bike path.

Here's the charts from todays great ride and yesterday's failed ride. Funny thing is, the Softride weighs a full 6 pounds more than the CAAD8.

Lower HR today than yesterday with most of the raised numbers at then end as I had to quite screwing around to keep the avg. Finished the ride feeling great and ready for more.

This was yesterday on the CAAD8, same time of day, same route, similar temps yet much slower and I was wiped out.

Old 09-26-21, 03:55 PM
hose
Miyata Mike

Well, I love light, aero wheels as much as the next rider and sweet newer 11 speed setups.

But look at all the bikes above and what I've been able to do with them as an average rider who obviously cannot ride a bike to it's full potential. See anything above that says for an average rider the wheels and components make a difference?

I mean when my 7 speed DT, boxed tubular equipped Opus III can equal or better the times of bikes several pounds lighter with aero carbon wheels and 11 speed modern components I think it means for most of us mere mortals there really isn't a lot to be gained by new tech.

That said....I am still going to configure and buy those super light carbon wheels for the Cannondale. Gotta have at least one bike in the 16 lb range even if it doesn't go any faster.

You may be an average rider but your bike collection makes the most knowledgeable drool - Anyway - Good Riding! If you want quiet backroads in retirement come to MA
Old 09-30-21, 03:53 PM
jamesdak 

Well it really hurt but I got the Cannondale into the club finally. Took like 6 or 7 rides and even today did not go well. It just feels sorta like I'm pedaling through mud all the time on this one. I can't figure it out. Now to be honest today did have some winds and they were constantly changing direction on me. Still they were only around 6-8 mph according to the weather site and gusting a bit more only a few times. I just never seem to get into the zone on this one where it all comes together it that makes any sense. Before I took it out today I went over it all again. The hubs feel like they are turning smoothly and with no real play that I can detect. Checked the crank and BB for play too and resistance but really nothing. That said though, I did get back today and noticed a gap between the BB cup and no driveside crank arm that wasn't there before. That did work loose during this ride.

Anyway the stats from the ride. 26.68 miles at 1:24:07 with only 469 ft of climbing registered for an avg pace right at 19.0 mph. Whew!

Perceived effort though says this was my hardest ride of the year. It also wasn't a clean run. Had some delays from cars and then late in the ride dealing with the middle school kids on bikes. They seem to like to ride looking down at the road without a clue of what's coming at them, weird.

Off the top of my head that leaves the 2nd Giordana XL Super to work on and the Serotta CSI. Then there's the original Giordana XL Super but it's got a click when I pedal I can't find and the Paletti's headset keeps coming loose for some reason. I'm thinking it needs a thin spacer maybe but keep forgetting to look into it. Once I get these all done I want to try the impossible and see if I can do it on the Guv'nor. And......since the Prologue TT has never sold I want to take it somewhere that I can ride a lot of miles without turns and get it into the club. That should be easy as I've ran that crazy ol' beast at a 22 mph avg while sorting it out.

Getting close now to having them all done.
Old 09-30-21, 11:19 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
LOL, right! It's just a silly metric for me to use for a silly game to have fun with. Well...if pain equals fun.
Not so silly. I like to look at my average speed after each ride, but I don't give much significance to the result because it is highly dependent on how many red lights and stop signs I had on the ride. Plus, my rides often include some heavily used MUPs and I don't hammer on those (unless it is raining and no one else is on them ). Plus-2, I find that I need to warmup much longer than I used to - I don't like to start "hammering" until I've spent at least 15-20 minutes warming up nowadays. I don't actually remember if I've ever had a solo training ride that has exceeded 20mph average speed. But I think all of my triathlon bike legs have exceeded that (including 112mile Ironman bike legs).
Old 10-01-21, 01:48 PM
jamesdak 

Alright, this morning I finally took the time to tackle the always loosening headset on the Paletti. Appears to have just needed another spacer so that the locknut could do it's job. Then I took this gorgeous beauty out for a ride. Now I have to admit my quads were toast this morning from the effort they gave yesterday trying to keep the Cannondale going. First couple of miles in they were not loosening up and the soreness stayed but the Paletti was moving along fine despite this. So I just keep going with a respectable effort and the ol' Italian kept delivering. This bike felt as I expect all my bikes to feel, light and responsive to my meager power. This was everything on the road the Cannondale wasn't yesterday. So even though my legs stayed sore the whole ride it really didn't take that much of an effort to keep the Paletti going. Heck I even had to back off a bit with 3 miles left and do some on bike stretching as my left hamstring got a little tight. Needless to say this one was super easy to get into the 19 mph club as I knew it would be. I've had a lot of fast rides on this one in the past.

So same route as yesterday and I was three minutes faster with a much easier perceived effort and the avg HR was only 151. 26.70 miles at 1:21.18 with only 379 ft of climbing at an avg pace of 19.7 mph. I don't know why there's such a day by day variance in the climbing stat when I do the exact same route. I guess the Garmin isn't too accurate for that.

Pretty much how I rode it today except for a different Fizik saddle. I really need to find another white Fizik Kurve for this bike and then it will be perfect!
Old 10-01-21, 02:11 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
^ That bike makes me think I'm seeing afterimages before I even look away.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-02-21, 01:30 PM
jamesdak 

I need to rest or at least take it easy tomorrow. This morning I decided to tackle the clicking I've been feeling on the one Giordana for the last couple of rides. Have been unable to spot an obvious cause. So this morning I swapped pedels, put on a new chain, checked spoke tension by plucking, checked chainring bolts, and even checked the stem and bar clamp. The click changed frequency with gear changes and was there even when I stood. Well it is gone. The old chain measured good and I went over it link by link but didn't find a stiff link or anything else but I'm still betting it was the issue. So anyway, legs have been sore an heavy every since the hard effort Thursday getting the Cannondale into the club. I wanted to go fast today but I doubted the legs and had resigned myself to just an easy ride. But once again this bike showed why it's my favorite one. From the get go it was light, responsive and wanting to move. I hit the 15 mile mark a little faster than yesterday. But to be honest the legs were not happy. With about 10 miles left they really lost their pop and it was the bike itself that carried me. At bit of wind today too on the way back. I tell you, I love this bike. I have all those nice rides and none of them feel as perfect under me as this one. Can't say why that it but it was apparent from the beginning of the ride today.

So anyway, for the important part. I did the same 26.68 mile route in 1:21: 52 with 529 ft of climbing recorded for an average pace of 19.6 mph. HR avg with a good 148 but the speed did trail off the final 3 miles. I did have two car issues right in the final two miles. First one turned across the path right in front of me making me brake hard and then have to get back up to speed on a mild upgrade. Then about 1/2 mile later a joker turned onto the road in front of me going slow for 200 yards holding me up and then he finally hit his brakes and turned right with no signal given. Once again, killing my speed and rhythm and then making me accelerate up the grade into the wind for the final 1/4 mile.

By far my favorite bike for riding. It's magical and sexy all in one package!

Last edited by jamesdak; 10-28-21 at 08:01 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.