Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 09-24-21, 02:00 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
I will be on a 5 week cycling vacation in the Adriatic area - Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Italy and Greece. Plans made prior to Covid. No racing just riding a lot and taking in the country side. It seems like a lot of preparation for the trip. We are taking bikes and related crappola. Will have internet connection and if I get a great pic, I will post it up. Vaxed to the max.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-24-21, 09:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I will be on a 5 week cycling vacation in the Adriatic area - Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Italy and Greece. Plans made prior to Covid. No racing just riding a lot and taking in the country side. It seems like a lot of preparation for the trip. We are taking bikes and related crappola. Will have internet connection and if I get a great pic, I will post it up. Vaxed to the max.
Sounds wonderful! Have a great trip!
Likes For big john:
Old 09-26-21, 04:32 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
So I'm discovering that one of my SRMs might be bad. Which would explain why I'm riding so bad, chasing and not hitting numbers even close to what I was able to back in late January. Seems stupid. Cigarettes and booze seem like a smarter idea. Granted, I've now outlived my father, but maybe he was onto something.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-27-21, 07:46 AM
big john

I tried the cigarettes and booze thing, I don't recommend it. I have 1.5 years to catch up to my father. Already outlived one of my brothers, my uncle, and my grandfather.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-27-21, 04:37 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Made me dislike Armstrong slightly less...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jan...i-nearly-dead/
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 09-27-21, 04:59 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,571 Posts
same, that was a nice/heart warming read
Old 09-27-21, 05:26 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Made me dislike Armstrong slightly less...

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/jan...i-nearly-dead/
During the Lance special on ESPN, the only time he cried in the 2 hours was when he talked about Ullrich.
Old 10-04-21, 11:01 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I had umbilical hernia surgery in 2009. It is very unpleasant for a few days. You will walk hunched over for a week or so. It gets progressively less annoying over the course of like a month. I imagine you may be able to use a trainer after a week or two if you're getting itchy to ride.

I did not have mesh inserted, and the surgery seems to have held up fine. In my case the hernia was quite small though, so ymmv. Good luck, hope it goes smoothly.
Surgery was a success. I had a lot of anxiety before going under so they put some benzo in the IV before wheeling me over to the OR, kinda made me feel buzzed. Then before I realized it I was waking up in recovery. I was told I woke up super thankful and wanting to hug everyone, but I don't remember that part. I had to settle for high 5's. Pretty sore for a few days and I didn't know what to do with myself, but now a week later I feel mostly fine, just have to be careful not to over exert myself. I've done a couple easy trainer spins, z1-z2, and it actually feels less tension on the area when on the bike than when just sitting/walking around. My belly button area looks a mess, all bruised up still, but the swelling is coming down. The NSAID they gave me screwed up my stomach, but I managed to stay off the opioids at least. Not taking anything for the past couple of days. I hope it stays sealed up now and that I can start doing some lifting in a couple months. I've got a half marathon in November that I want to do, though I haven't tried going for a run yet. I'll probably give that at least a few more days before trying an easy one.

Last edited by wktmeow; 10-04-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-04-21, 07:19 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Heal well. Don't push it.

I read somewhere that when people screw things up they have an idea they're screwing things up. This was related to work (car stuff). I mentioned it to one of the techs I respect. He agreed wholeheartedly. "Yep! My last engine, I was tightening a blank-blank, and I felt a little something, and I thought, no, it can't be, so I just finished building it. It blew the first time I got heavy into boost. I took it apart. Sure enough, the blank-blank had failed. And I KNEW I'd screwed it up but I was too impatient and sent it." (Note: the last engine was a 450hp turbo Civic engine).
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 10-04-21, 07:23 PM
carpediemracing 

Speaking of turbo engines and stuff, I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the heat soak issues on my over-stressed engine which normally is not a turbo. On Facebook a guy was parting out his car (corrosion) including a carbon vented hood. For a good price too. Perfect!

We agreed to meet today, although location TBD once I was down there, about 1.5 hours away. Confirmed this morning, we'd see each other in the afternoon. I got there, messaged him, nothing. Waited something like an hour and 20 minutes. Let the Missus know, said that maybe my internet isn't working because the seller doesn't seem to be responding.

"You know that Facebook is down, right?"

Of all the days it could go down. So I drove back. FB came back up maybe 20 minutes after I got home.

So we're going to meet Sat and we quickly exchanged phone numbers so we can text.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 10-04-21, 07:36 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
That sucks, that was a big oopsie by the Facebook ops folks. Funny enough I'm planning to interview for their production engineering team in a couple months.

Your post reminds me that I need to finally finish my project civic that I bought a few years ago. Never really set aside the time to do it all right, and haven't prioritized it lately. It's a 1990 with a b18 swap. I've gone most of the way through the head gasket replacement, just need to finish putting it together, seeing if I screwed anything up, and set the timing. Garage is currently a huge mess due to being a temporary kitchen during our remodel though, sigh. Just want to get it running again so i can sell it at a loss
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 10-04-21, 09:13 PM
big john

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Just want to get it running again so i can sell it at a loss
Sounds like me when I used to buy and sell cars.
Likes For big john:
Old 10-05-21, 08:10 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Heal well. Don't push it.

I read somewhere that when people screw things up they have an idea they're screwing things up. This was related to work (car stuff). I mentioned it to one of the techs I respect. He agreed wholeheartedly. "Yep! My last engine, I was tightening a blank-blank, and I felt a little something, and I thought, no, it can't be, so I just finished building it. It blew the first time I got heavy into boost. I took it apart. Sure enough, the blank-blank had failed. And I KNEW I'd screwed it up but I was too impatient and sent it." (Note: the last engine was a 450hp turbo Civic engine).
I was literally thinking about this yesterday. I was running conduit over the weekend for a new gas fireplace I'm installing, and I had to put conduit straps into my brick. So I had a container of screws and anchors out with me. I set it down on top of a bucket, not very level because it was in the flowerbed, and not very stable because it didn't quite fit. I thought as I was putting it there "this is a bad place for this, I have to sort of step over it, it's unstable, I'm definitely going to knock this over and spend 5 minutes picking screws up out of the mulch".

I put it there anyway. I knocked it over 30 seconds later. There's some mulch mixed into the container now.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 10-05-21, 09:40 PM
carpediemracing 

That sucks, that was a big oopsie by the Facebook ops folks. Funny enough I'm planning to interview for their production engineering team in a couple months.

Your post reminds me that I need to finally finish my project civic that I bought a few years ago. Never really set aside the time to do it all right, and haven't prioritized it lately. It's a 1990 with a b18 swap. I've gone most of the way through the head gasket replacement, just need to finish putting it together, seeing if I screwed anything up, and set the timing. Garage is currently a huge mess due to being a temporary kitchen during our remodel though, sigh. Just want to get it running again so i can sell it at a loss
Oh a San Diego Civic.... implies rust free. I keep thinking "I should buy another car so I can drive a fun car in the winter too", as the Suburban isn't really a fun car per se.

I do admit I toss the Suburban around (RWD). Driving to/from TTown, basically 5 hours each way, I'd disable traction control in any hard cornering, not really critical kind of situations, so maybe turning onto a road and accelerating (so if there's some wheel spin no biggie) or a slower 90 deg turn (if the rear steps out a bit no big deal). I did that very close to the house, setting up for a nice 100 deg turn, and the Missus says "What is that you keep doing?" "Disabling traction control." "Oooh. I was wondering what that was over there. " (It's on the left side of the dash.) I dream of lowering it, putting a bigger sway bar out back, but probably not going to happen. And the big dream is to boost that engine. hahaha. yeah.
Old 10-05-21, 09:41 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by Flatballer
I was literally thinking about this yesterday. I was running conduit over the weekend for a new gas fireplace I'm installing, and I had to put conduit straps into my brick. So I had a container of screws and anchors out with me. I set it down on top of a bucket, not very level because it was in the flowerbed, and not very stable because it didn't quite fit. I thought as I was putting it there "this is a bad place for this, I have to sort of step over it, it's unstable, I'm definitely going to knock this over and spend 5 minutes picking screws up out of the mulch".

I put it there anyway. I knocked it over 30 seconds later. There's some mulch mixed into the container now.
omg that's a perfect example of that. too funny.
Old 10-06-21, 06:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
What happened to the Sentra?
Old 10-06-21, 02:11 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by topflightpro
What happened to the Sentra?
Still going strong - that's the car. I've been fiddling with the heat soak issue - it's quite bad actually, the car loses huge power after a few pulls. Opportunity popped up to grab a vented hood so I took it. Well, haven't gotten the hood yet, will be getting it Saturday. That and a couple other things I hope will make the car more resilient.

With car stuff I move at a glacial pace.

Got brakes for the car finally, but still working on getting them installed. Two piece 12+" rotors, 6 piston calipers, stainless hoses up front. Caliper relocation brackets and 12" rotors in back. Rears went on fine, the fronts the caliper bracket is off by 3mm or so, and there's basically no tolerance - the rotor hits the caliper. Not the piston, the caliper body. Has to move 3mm over but can't do it, not without re-machining the mount (or maybe a different mount, not sure). Not resolved at this point. Actually I have to follow up and see what the vendor says, I tried to contact them last week.

I have Suburban plans too. The aftermarket head unit is starting to die so I want a new one, get a couple amps, and update or replace the subwoofer in the back. This vehicle is now my main bike race vehicle so I'd like to have good sound in it. I was thinking of lowering it, put on a big rear sway bar. It'd require some stuff so I could still tow the registration trailer (rear spring helpers, taller ball hitch mount thing). And my ultimate dream would be to build a junkyard engine outside the vehicle with some stupid amount of power, with a better transmission, and swap it into the Suburban. I was even contemplating buying a second Suburban to keep in the garage to build into my "nice" Suburban. But, again, glacial pace. And my friend who totally wants to do it is getting divorced and his soon-to-be-ex-wife is the Missus's best friend ever so probably that link will be gone.
Old 10-06-21, 03:15 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Installing a new gas fireplace insert at the house. The wood burning normal fireplace never drew properly and would always back up into the house. I think too big, too big of a chimney and firebox, could never get it hot enough to draw properly.

Had someone run the gas, I ran the electric, that's all done. Next step is dropping the flex pipes down the chimney and putting the new cap on (removing the old one, but it looks like it's screwed on, so I'm hopeful it's easy to remove). Renting a 32 foot extension ladder. The chimney crown is like 24 feet I think, plus a couple for the flue above it. Not looking forward to being up that high. I don't like ladders that much. I'm buying a ladder stabilizer for the top at least, to help me out a bit. I wish I could stand on the roof, but the flue is probably 8 feet above the roof, and I didn't want to put a ladder on the roof and maybe damage it, and have to carry it up, etc. I'm a little nervous, but I'm hopefully as prepared as possible.
Old 10-07-21, 12:00 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Flatballer
Installing a new gas fireplace insert at the house. The wood burning normal fireplace never drew properly and would always back up into the house. I think too big, too big of a chimney and firebox, could never get it hot enough to draw properly.

Had someone run the gas, I ran the electric, that's all done. Next step is dropping the flex pipes down the chimney and putting the new cap on (removing the old one, but it looks like it's screwed on, so I'm hopeful it's easy to remove). Renting a 32 foot extension ladder. The chimney crown is like 24 feet I think, plus a couple for the flue above it. Not looking forward to being up that high. I don't like ladders that much. I'm buying a ladder stabilizer for the top at least, to help me out a bit. I wish I could stand on the roof, but the flue is probably 8 feet above the roof, and I didn't want to put a ladder on the roof and maybe damage it, and have to carry it up, etc. I'm a little nervous, but I'm hopefully as prepared as possible.
Listen to your wives. Apparently my wife had been trying to point out to me for a few days that you can just go up on our roof from the deck (about 8 feet) and walk from there to the high parts without any other ladders. And the flue is only about 7 feet above the roof on that side, and I don't have to be able to see down it, just reach it.

So in short, I'm a moron. I got halfway up the extension ladder, chickened out, tried to find another solution, and she pointed out I can just walk there. I think I remember her saying something about that, but I assumed the flue was too high from the roof and I didn't want another ladder on the roof, since I don't like ladders I didn't think I'd enjoy putting one ON a roof.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 10-07-21, 03:19 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Surgery was a success. I had a lot of anxiety before going under so they put some benzo in the IV before wheeling me over to the OR, kinda made me feel buzzed. Then before I realized it I was waking up in recovery. I was told I woke up super thankful and wanting to hug everyone, but I don't remember that part. I had to settle for high 5's. Pretty sore for a few days and I didn't know what to do with myself, but now a week later I feel mostly fine, just have to be careful not to over exert myself. I've done a couple easy trainer spins, z1-z2, and it actually feels less tension on the area when on the bike than when just sitting/walking around. My belly button area looks a mess, all bruised up still, but the swelling is coming down. The NSAID they gave me screwed up my stomach, but I managed to stay off the opioids at least. Not taking anything for the past couple of days. I hope it stays sealed up now and that I can start doing some lifting in a couple months. I've got a half marathon in November that I want to do, though I haven't tried going for a run yet. I'll probably give that at least a few more days before trying an easy one.
Glad to hear it!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 10-08-21, 06:27 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Did some geocaching for the first time with the kids today. Spent like 4 hours doing it. Found 4 I think, including a multi or two, and failed a few more.

We didn't realize sometimes they're like 200 feet off the trail through brambles and over fallen trees and stuff. Not our idea of fun, especially unprepared and with little kids. One we were within a few feet, spent forever looking, and never found it. Unless we did the math wrong on the clue.

Very interesting though. Fun way to spend a few hours, and the kids really enjoyed it.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 10-09-21, 08:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
2 hours till pig stye time. It has rained 4 inches in 12 hours.

Packing a gallon jug of water and two towels.

Just plan to plod along and enjoy the sounds of cowbell. Lol. And probably jog a lot.

A day for the mass start cross point towards cat 4. Not for slamming about.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 10-09-21, 07:14 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Got my point. 21 of 36? Whatever. No callup so got dropped way off at the first logjam at the mud pit.

No joke. They dug a 3 foot deep hole in the course. And it rained 6 inches in 12 hours.

From there I TT’d and made best of a super slow start. If I had a callup I would have done my normal 12th or so. That much jammed up that first lap at the “pit”.

Also, TT has Merckx class if you dont wanna commit to a TT bike. I thing cross should toss the mountain bikes together. I never saw so many 2 inch or so tires today. WTF. This is cross. There are a LOT of local MTB series.

Still a fun diversion. Safer than crits. So sure.

I just wanna turn 40 as our open 4/5 is brutal. Full of collegiate guys who should be 3’s. Some on mtb’s too.
Old 10-10-21, 03:14 PM
carpediemracing 

So in other news, we're getting some vinyl window things for the screen porch. Really excited about it, the porch gets covered in yucky stuff from pollen, rain, sleet, just all sorts of stuff blowing in. Makes it a royal pain to clean and just sort of unpleasant to hang out in the porch. We're hoping that enclosing it will make a big difference. We may even put down a vinyl interlocking tile floor, to make it a bit more wind resistant inside (the porch has intentional gaps in the floor to the ground below). If things are really nice we may even get either a kerosene heater or even a wood burning stove for the porch, for the winter. Summer... probably nothing, just open the windows and rely on tree shade.

We first looked at a company named EZE Breeze but apparently they're having all sorts of quality control problems. The EZE Breeze dealer recommended another product, SunSpace, and so that's on order now.
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 10-11-21, 01:00 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
So in other news, we're getting some vinyl window things for the screen porch. Really excited about it, the porch gets covered in yucky stuff from pollen, rain, sleet, just all sorts of stuff blowing in. Makes it a royal pain to clean and just sort of unpleasant to hang out in the porch. We're hoping that enclosing it will make a big difference. We may even put down a vinyl interlocking tile floor, to make it a bit more wind resistant inside (the porch has intentional gaps in the floor to the ground below). If things are really nice we may even get either a kerosene heater or even a wood burning stove for the porch, for the winter. Summer... probably nothing, just open the windows and rely on tree shade.

We first looked at a company named EZE Breeze but apparently they're having all sorts of quality control problems. The EZE Breeze dealer recommended another product, SunSpace, and so that's on order now.
Dude, you just inspired me.

We have a screened in patio where they extended the roof of the actual house. But the door to it is from outdoors. So outside, down the steps, over, up, in.

I totally forgot the one wall of the screened in is shared with the living room wall on a part of the living room we don't have anything useful or use. I can cut a door in there to get to the screened in and make it a bit nicer like you've got going on there!

Oh yes. Office and pain cave for mommy and daddy yo!

This would be worth the week's drop in CTL to make it happen for the gains of having the pain cave always setup and ready to roll.
Likes For burnthesheep:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.