Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

What's in your bag? How do you move your gear?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 03-15-19, 10:51 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts

This is something that's always been interesting to me.

Here was my setup:

Bag: Camelbak BFM (I don't know which exact variant). It's not available anymore. But, updated offerings are.

This is a military spec bag, not just a "Military-looking" bag. It expands outward to increase volume. Has internal and external tie-downs to keep things from moving around inside. Cinch it all down and it's a solid rock. The straps are over-built. You could literally load up over 100lbs of stuff an it wouldn't sag or stress the straps. It's like the straps are reinforced with Kevlar or something. If you can carry it, the bag can carry it.

I removed the internal water bladder and drinking hose. I didn't feel like dealing with cleaning it. Water bottles in big side pockets was easier.

This bag was made for abuse. The zipper opens up 180 degrees and it lays flat.

What's inside:
- Custom oversized Track Sack (chainrings, cogs, tools, etc...)
- Shoes
- 2x 32 oz Nalgene bottles (one in each side pocket)
- Cycling clothing
- 2x helmets attached outside by chinstrap (later used carabiner for faster on/off)
- Misc (pens, safety pins, race license, chainring bolts, multiples of the same race number (never be without one), keys, snacks)

This was enough to hold everything I needed for a typical training day. If I brought extra wheels, they would be in a double wheel bag strapped diagonally across my back. 2 hand still free (1 for the bike). If I carried rollers as well, they would be on a strap on my shoulder. 1 hand free for the bike.

I could go to and from the track in 1 trip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20101129213420.jpg (87.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpeg
15073527.jpeg (28.9 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by carleton; 03-15-19 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-15-19, 05:48 PM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I've been using an LL Bean open tote in the large size, I think it's 35L.
It's worked just fine, I can fit my shoes, helmet gear bag, kit, tools and misc junk with no problem.
The one thing I don't like about it is that I have to carry it. For mountain biking and road rides it's no problem, but at the track it generally means at least 2 trips to get my stuff to the infield.
I was going to build a wagon, but decided against that approach. I've helped enough guys carry theirs over the bridge at T-Town to rule it out.
I don't usually take that much to the infield; bag, bike, rollers, wheels and a water jug. This season I'll replace the bag with a back pack and see if I can do it in one trip.
PI
Old 03-15-19, 07:29 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I use Silca Pista Travel Bag.
Chainring fits perfectly into the pocket and I have enough space for other tools.
Acetone, Towel, lockring remover, and other.
Old 03-17-19, 09:05 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
I have tried a few different things in the past, but I was at Harbor Freight a few months ago and ran across this Voyager tool bag / tote.

Wheels on the bottom, extending handle to roll it, plenty of inside pockets. I fit an old Chicago Velodrome chainring/gear zip up inside to hold rings/cogs, shoes, helmet all fit inside and zip up. With HF's coupon deals, it was under $20.
Old 03-20-19, 07:31 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I was training a lot with Frankie Andreu last winter, and noticed he used a carry-on suitcase with rollers when going to the track. I guess he travels a lot more than I do, lol. Still, a carry-on sized bag with rollers is good size and easy to drag around.
Old 03-20-19, 09:11 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I was training a lot with Frankie Andreu last winter, and noticed he used a carry-on suitcase with rollers when going to the track. I guess he travels a lot more than I do, lol. Still, a carry-on sized bag with rollers is good size and easy to drag around.
I've seen that before. And it does make a lot of sense. I also had a folding cart/wagon that I've used when I have a lot of stuff to bring. Of course things like carts and wheeled suitcase bags don't help much when you have to go up and down stairs.