Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

'If You Build It, They Will Bike: Pop-Up Lanes Increased Cycling During Pandemic'

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

'If You Build It, They Will Bike: Pop-Up Lanes Increased Cycling During Pandemic'

Old 04-01-21, 10:13 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts

'A study of European cities adds to a growing body of evidence that investments in cycling infrastructure can encourage bike commuting, which helps cut greenhouse gas emissions.'
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/01/c...te-change.html
You can right-click on the link, save the file, read the local copy.
Old 04-02-21, 02:52 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Yet I see many more cyclist on the roads these days with the virus without any added specific cycling pop-up lanes or other infrastructure.
Bicycle shops have stated that they have been jammed packed selling bicycles and have months long repair waiting list without any added specific cycling pop-up lanes or other infrastructure.
Gym, swimming pool and other sport lockdowns are more likely the source of increased cycling.
Old 04-02-21, 09:28 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

So what is common in our observation of increased cycling is the virus lockdown with closing of gyms, swimming pools and sports; regardless if there are pop-up lanes or other infrastructures being added.

So pop-up lanes or other infrastructureadditions were not needed for the increase of cycling.
Old 04-02-21, 09:52 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
There are a lot of new cyclists in Shanghai, related to increased hassles of going to the gym, and its cheaper too.

Unless there is an accident, which admittedly could happen in a gym too.

I use bicycle related infrastructure whenever possible.

Many roads were constructed and repaved in 2020.
Old 04-05-21, 05:15 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Regardless of pop up lanes or not... did anyone happen to notice the reduction in automobile traffic during the lock down and a few months after... Ya wanna increase bike use, just get rid of those giant rolling couches.

I saw whole families out riding bikes in places that frankly had only seen the bravest hard core cyclists prior to the pandemic... Cyclists don't need or want bike lanes... But they don't want to be run over by road hogs either.

Seriously, what was common in all those locations was a reduction in motor vehicle traffic... even air pollution decreased. Solar panels worked better. Hint hint... (It's the cars, stupid!)
Old 04-05-21, 08:59 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by genec
Regardless of pop up lanes or not... did anyone happen to notice the reduction in automobile traffic during the lock down and a few months after... ...
I saw a huge reduction in traffic on Oahu and it still remains lower because of the teachers union not letting kids go back to in person classes (just starting back this month. On the flip side, the traffic that was still out there was driving much faster and less safe.

In LA, I saw no drop in traffic in January when I was there, even at the height of their virus upsurge (leading the nation). They still had the same traffic jams on the I-5, I-10 and 101.

I saw some reduced traffic in San Diego first few days of February. I suspect that was mostly due to schools still being closed for in person learning.
Old 04-05-21, 10:14 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I saw a huge reduction in traffic on Oahu and it still remains lower because of the teachers union not letting kids go back to in person classes (just starting back this month. On the flip side, the traffic that was still out there was driving much faster and less safe.

In LA, I saw no drop in traffic in January when I was there, even at the height of their virus upsurge (leading the nation). They still had the same traffic jams on the I-5, I-10 and 101.

I saw some reduced traffic in San Diego first few days of February. I suspect that was mostly due to schools still being closed for in person learning.
I drove across the country during the middle of March until early April 2020... the country was in lockdown... I saw so little traffic, it was a Twilight Zone experience. I was towing an RV travel trailer... made reservations by phone and Internet, arrived daily at some RV park, and picked up an envelope left by staff... with my site info for the night.

I eventually made it to San Diego and empty freeways there. I stayed in La Jolla, and saw families riding bikes on what were normally very heavily congested roads.

I saw people out and about, walking here and there, but beaches were closed... and there was no motor traffic.

You could walkabout while barely checking for cars as you crossed streets. Retail areas were shut down... some stores boarded (more so later, due to protests)

Cyclists rode where they wanted... with abandon. Cycling flourished... there were no cars... the roads were open, and empty... for the taking.

It sounds like the months you are referring to are in 2021... reopening and the return of traffic had occured by then. Even January and February 2020... those were "pre-lock down."

You never saw the "great empty" of the streets... when cyclists and pedestrians ruled.
Likes For genec:
Old 04-07-21, 07:39 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

It sounds like you and I are a couple of the people that never locked down and somehow survived.

Sad to see San Diego kids are not back to in person learning yet.
Old 04-08-21, 01:40 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 386 Posts
Old 04-08-21, 02:56 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
You want to decrease car traffic, increase the Gas Tax; plus there would be more money for infrastructure. Also, the govt could stop subsidizing fossil fuels, or at least significantly reduce the subsidy.
Old 04-08-21, 09:01 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by work4bike
You want to decrease car traffic, increase the Gas Tax; plus there would be more money for infrastructure. Also, the govt could stop subsidizing fossil fuels, or at least significantly reduce the subsidy.
Recent signatures are doing a great job of raising gas prices.