Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is mercurius tensor tubing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is mercurius tensor tubing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 10:33 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
The dimples on the tubing makes it a double "Freddy" spec.....
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 06-19-21, 10:39 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerosity57
I’ve never heard of it, but in my opinion squashing the tubes like that would weaken them. Nothing is stronger than good quality round tubing. To be honest though, all steel has similar characteristics all dimensions being the same. You could make a frame from straight gauge high tensile steel, and straight gauge 531, or stainless and they’d all have “similar” ride characteristics if the thicknesses of the tube walls etc were all basically the same.
Flutes in tubes are a way to increase stiffness without increasing the diameter or thickness of a tube. It was a fairly popular method to increase the rigidity of frames manufactured with lightweight, standard diameter tubing and lugs. It lost popularity with the advent of large diameter tubing and TIG welding.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-19-21, 10:47 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^ A lot of late '60s American station wagons had a rear facing third seat, since you hopped in from the back. Some Fords (including that Meteor, probably) actually had a back gate that opened like a door and dropped down like a tailgate.
Indeed

Old 06-23-21, 10:15 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

yes indeed!

either that or a Starfire...

and if one needed a bit of a break on their way to that next Galaxie they could always stop off for a rest at a Starlet

-----

-----
Owned a 'Yota Starlet, 1983 model. Smallest car I ever drove, 6'-1" and 200 lbs didn't/doesn't fold up very easily, so it was passed on to my mother.

Three-way tailgates.....now pick up trucks have split gates that can do the normal drop down, or open half, as a back door. With the loads we regularly subjected old school single function gates to, on the job sites, I can foresee the new multi-function models breaking and dropping things on feet. Steel-toe boots only do so much But then, they also regularly broke the cable style limiters with what ever could be piled on the back of a truck.

Back to tubing decals and metallurgy classes.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 06-23-21, 10:42 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

wrt to Mercury Meteor & Comet -

[how many can recall that silly series of adverts for the Comet about a "Mr. Halley" who loved his Comet so much he couldn't stop driving it long enough for a meal and his wife had to pass him his meals as he slowed down in front of the house? ]

experience as pilot of a Comet -

the family o' me best friend in high school had one. we both ended up going to the same university. after our freshman year we took the car on a camping trip from southern California to northern Montana.

going through southern and central Montana it seemed like every few hundred meters there was an enamelled steel sign affixed to a fencepost proclaiming the virtues of "Eddie's Bread." after seeing what seemed like a couple hundred of these we decided we should pinch one as a souvenier. the next one we saw i pulled the car off onto the shoulder. BIG MISTAKE! the shoulder was soft and the Comet immediately listed to starboard about what seemed like thirty degrees and felt like it was at risk for going on over...and a loooooog way dooooooown. we were able to scramble out and a few minutes later a big fourwheel drive pickup came along and pulled the car to safety. no Eddie's Bread sign. just think, if the car had gone over you would not have had to read all of these posts from me...

-----