Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Stove

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New Stove

Old 09-21-21, 09:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I do not understand the desire or need for a wood stove.

Liquid fuel stoves can be a hassle to clean and even if you get it to the point of no petroleum smell, they still might get confiscated by TSA. I no longer fly with liquid fuel stoves for that reason.

But butane mix type stoves are rarely confiscated by TSA. Twice I have had TSA (or their equivalent agency in a foreign country) inspect my stove in my presence, once was when she said if she could smell anything she had to confiscate it, but it did not smell so I got to keep it. The other time, the jagged pot supports to prevent the pot sliding off looked like a weapon on the X ray, so the TSA inspector had to run his fingers on the pot supports to see if it was a weapon, I got to keep my stove that time too.

Even if TSA confiscates your stove, butane mix type stoves that run on a cannister are pretty cheap. I think it is worth a roll of the dice to travel with a butane mix type stove.

I just came home from a backpacking trip on the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota. Every campsite has a fire ring, but due to forest fires and dry conditions they prohibited fires and they also prohibited stoves that lacked an on-off switch. Only stoves like butane or liquid fuel were allowed because you could turn them off immediately.
Old 09-21-21, 01:38 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
I do not understand the desire or need for a wood stove.

Liquid fuel stoves can be a hassle to clean and even if you get it to the point of no petroleum smell, they still might get confiscated by TSA. I no longer fly with liquid fuel stoves for that reason.

But butane mix type stoves are rarely confiscated by TSA. Twice I have had TSA (or their equivalent agency in a foreign country) inspect my stove in my presence, once was when she said if she could smell anything she had to confiscate it, but it did not smell so I got to keep it. The other time, the jagged pot supports to prevent the pot sliding off looked like a weapon on the X ray, so the TSA inspector had to run his fingers on the pot supports to see if it was a weapon, I got to keep my stove that time too.

Even if TSA confiscates your stove, butane mix type stoves that run on a cannister are pretty cheap. I think it is worth a roll of the dice to travel with a butane mix type stove.

I just came home from a backpacking trip on the Superior Hiking Trail in Minnesota. Every campsite has a fire ring, but due to forest fires and dry conditions they prohibited fires and they also prohibited stoves that lacked an on-off switch. Only stoves like butane or liquid fuel were allowed because you could turn them off immediately.
I like the canister type stoves for their simplicity. Not much can go wrong with them. The pizo igniters can be a problem in colder weather. I like the ferro rods much better. I was already paranoid about things that drop out of the sky from experiences in the military when TSA put the last nail in that coffin. With the newest form of government induced excitement happening at the airports. I don't see myself on a plane again. I prefer rental cars. What is the coldest weather you have used your canister stove in.
Old 09-21-21, 02:29 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I like the canister type stoves for their simplicity. Not much can go wrong with them. The pizo igniters can be a problem in colder weather. I like the ferro rods much better. I was already paranoid about things that drop out of the sky from experiences in the military when TSA put the last nail in that coffin. With the newest form of government induced excitement happening at the airports. I don't see myself on a plane again. I prefer rental cars. What is the coldest weather you have used your canister stove in.
If you don't fly there isn't much reason to avoid white gas stoves, but canister stoves are okay too.

I am not so sure about how rental cars are right now. The prices were through the roof the last time we had ocasion to rent one. It was maybe a month and a half ago that my wife did a 1 week rental and it was crazy expensive compared to previous trips supposedly because of them not replacing vehicles during the pandemic or something. It was about triple the price of her previous trip shortly before the pandemic. Not sure if they are returning to normal or not. Just mentioning it as something to check before going too far in planning. She got a pretty cheap flight, but the car was $$$$. So you just might want to price out flying and one way rentals before deciding. Check out Amtrak too, but for long distances I have found them slow and expensive most of the times I have checked.
Old 09-21-21, 02:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

... What is the coldest weather you have used your canister stove in.
I have no clue, but if there is any chance that my trip will involve sub freezing temps, I am much more likely to bring a liquid fuel stove.

There have been times (including last week in Northern Minnesota) when my cannister was in my sleeping bag during the night to keep it warm so I could get hot coffee very soon after I got up in the morning.

I have a large plastic jar lid that is slightly larger than the base of the standard 220gm cannister. I often use that lid like a pan and put warm water (not hot) in that jar lid to set the cannister in to keep the canister fuel warm. That is especially useful to keep a cannister that is mostly used up delivering a good amount of heat as the remaining fuel cools while burning.

With keeping the cannister in warm water, you can run a cannister down into quite cool sub freezing conditions. But to do that, you need a warm cannister to make some warm water in the first place.
Old 09-21-21, 03:14 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Ah, "what stove?".

The good advice is upthread. For a walk on the wild side...my local Walmarts now all carry Coghlans brand solid fuel tablets (hexamine) for Esbit-style stoves. No, I can't promise the Walmart between your airport and your first campsite will have them in stock.

Expedition Research has started offering hexamine fuel. They claim their's is 'improved'.

An outfit called FireDragon has started offering a solid fuel they say is made from sustainable 'bio-fuel'. Also available in a gel.

Some folks claim you can fly with solid fuel. A lot more say you can't. Your friendly TSA agent at baggage check can (and will) tell you one way or the other.

The only fuel I'm aware you can fly with in the USA is drinkable alcohol - for best burn in your little stove, as close to the maximum TSA allowed 140 proof (70%) as you can get. Sealed in its commercial packaging only. On the upside, you can check up to 5 liters (!), and if you can find some yellow-bottle HEET instead, you can drink what you brought from home.

EDIT: Hold the phone! You can currently fly with up to 12 oz. of "hand sanitizer". I've found some that's 80% alcohol. The rest is hydrogen peroxide and/or glycerin and/or water. Guaranteed to either kill or cure!

BTW, here's what the horse's mouth (TSA) has to say:https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tcanibring/all

Hmph - you may carry on one lighter and one book of safety matches, but can't check either one. Hmph. I don't see any restriction on flint&steel, but you might want to check it just to be safe.

All the little village grocery stores here in Parts Unknown carry Sterno (perhaps to put under chaffing dishes at Methodist and Lutheran pot-lucks). I don't want this thread to descend into bitter name calling...((but I like my Sterno Inferno cookset quite a lot)). Sterno - also available in a bio-fuel version.

Most of us care about the future. Even those that don't are most likely going to have a carbon-free future imposed on them right along with everybody else. Okay, carbon-free camp-cooking. Hmm. Here's what I've got so far:

Last edited by tcs; 09-22-21 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-21-21, 03:32 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
... rental cars...
The car rental companies found themselves with large fleets of taxable but non-earning assets as the reality of the pandemic settled in. They had fire sales (including some spanking deals on lightly used Corvettes!) So, folks started traveling a bit this past summer, but - and its a big but - because of the chip shortage there are no new cheap fleet model cars to buy to rebuild the rental inventories.

Anyway: check out Flixbus. A German bus company new to the NA market, they're trying to get up to speed post-COVID. No, I'm not in any way affiliated, but they get a cycletouring mention because you can reserve a spot for your bike on some routes, and they're working toward making that available across the board. It's a policy they brought with them from Europe where they discovered they can make money hauling folks and their bikes and where all their buses are equipped with bike racks.
Old 09-23-21, 01:21 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
It's a policy they brought with them from Europe where they discovered they can make money hauling folks and their bikes and where all their buses are equipped with bike racks.

Wish they did. Most of their buses don't have a bike rack. It also depends on the country: in the Netherlands and Germany you'll find a decent number of bike-friendly connections. From Belgium (and lots of other European countries), almost none. Oops, off-topic, sorry.
Old 09-23-21, 05:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Starting about a decade ago I started keeping track of how much fuel I use on every camping trip on a per person per day basis. Got home a few days ago from a backpacking trip in Northern Minnesota where all meals were cooked on a butane mix stove. (No restaurants, no campfire cooking, etc.) Over 8 days, averaged 36 grams of fuel per day. I was backpacking, thus carrying my weight on my back. So, was carrying only what I needed for fuel, but that did not stop me from having a couple cups of coffee each morning or a hot apple cider one evening. But when the stove was not needed, it was off. Meals that called for simmering, the stove was off for several minutes, then another minute of heat before it goes off again, etc.

Liquid fuel stoves, I usually use at least 10 grams per day more fuel than when using a butane mix, priming and occasionally leaving them in idle for a few minutes now and then instead of off consumes the additional amount of fuel.

That said, I usually budget 60 grams per person per day when I plan a trip to make sure I do not run out. Some of my stoves are less fuel efficient and I burn more fuel on trips where I use them.
Old 09-23-21, 08:57 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
Starting about a decade ago I started keeping track of how much fuel I use on every camping trip on a per person per day basis. Got home a few days ago from a backpacking trip in Northern Minnesota where all meals were cooked on a butane mix stove. (No restaurants, no campfire cooking, etc.) Over 8 days, averaged 36 grams of fuel per day. I was backpacking, thus carrying my weight on my back. So, was carrying only what I needed for fuel, but that did not stop me from having a couple cups of coffee each morning or a hot apple cider one evening. But when the stove was not needed, it was off. Meals that called for simmering, the stove was off for several minutes, then another minute of heat before it goes off again, etc.

Liquid fuel stoves, I usually use at least 10 grams per day more fuel than when using a butane mix, priming and occasionally leaving them in idle for a few minutes now and then instead of off consumes the additional amount of fuel.

That said, I usually budget 60 grams per person per day when I plan a trip to make sure I do not run out. Some of my stoves are less fuel efficient and I burn more fuel on trips where I use them.
Do you use a pot cozy or a bowl cozy to save on fuel. I have used a pot cozy and will be using a bowl cozy to reduce trash. I am going to carry freeze dried meals without the foil packets for some meals. I'm purchasing the freeze dried meals in number 10 cans.
Old 09-23-21, 03:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

Do you use a pot cozy or a bowl cozy to save on fuel. I have used a pot cozy and will be using a bowl cozy to reduce trash. I am going to carry freeze dried meals without the foil packets for some meals. I'm purchasing the freeze dried meals in number 10 cans.
Never used such cozy things, do not plan to.

I used to buy Mountain House Breakfast Skillet breakfasts in the cans. I need a low carb diet for health reasons, this is one of very few breakfast meals available where you can just add boiling water to get a breakfast that is low carb. I even add one packet of instant oatmeal (which is pure carbs) for more calories and it is still a meal that is relatively low carb. But I used to buy these cans, 24 oz.
https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hous...dp/B003Z45XVE/

The last one of those cans I bought was on Jan 18, 2020, paid $23.90 for a 24 oz can according to Amazon records.

Now that can has only 15 oz.
https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hous...dp/B084J5J995/

I refuse to pay $40 or $50 for a can with less than a pound of food in it.

Fortunately I still have a few of the 24 oz cans that I paid on average a buck an ounce on my shelf, 30 year shelf life.

What I did was shake the can in all orientations before opening it so that I do not have heavy stuff on the bottom and light stuff on the top. It can be hard to get each of your baggies (I use sandwich size ziplock bags) roughly equal in quantity of light density and heavy density stuff. And I use a scale to measure out my meals when I split a can up.

This photo is a Breakfast Skillet plus one packet of oatmeal mixed in for breakfast, the Breakfast Skillet was from a can. Plus of course the obligatory cup of coffee behind it.

Someone a year ago asked me to elaborate on how I pack food for some of my trips where I take a lot of food. If you are interested, here is the posting:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21674202-post25.html