Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Raising Handlebars

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Raising Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-21, 12:54 PM
Robert Dini

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raising Handlebars

I have a Cannondale SuperSix 2013 model year. I'd like to raise the handlebars, if I can. I know that I can't raise them any more with spacers. Can I do it with a longer neck?
Old 09-20-21, 01:24 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
Here is some info to look over.
Likes For Rick:
Old 09-20-21, 01:26 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Some stems have a steep downward angle that can be turned upside down to give a higher position for your bars. Not sure what a "longer neck" refers to but if you have no more room for spacers to raise the stem you're left with using the first suggestion, getting a new stem with a steeper rise or getting a steerer extender such as these. (1) bicycle steerer extenders - Bing or the dreaded adjustable rise stem as a last resort (but still works). (1) adjustable rise stem - Bing
Old 09-20-21, 02:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,395 Times in 2,739 Posts
Unfortunately, the things you can do include some that you shouldn't do. Try flipping the stem or going to an angled stem within normal parameters, about 30 degrees max. If these don't give you a comfortable fit, you need a different size bike or a different type of bike. Having said that, folks proudly post all sorts of kludge contraptions on BF!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-20-21, 02:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Riser bars can get you a little higher too without having to go to weirdly angled stems or extender tubes which I wouldn't do.

Many different brands have them. These get you 15mm higher, but I'm pretty sure I've seen other brands that get you almost an inch higher.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ho...=230548-156001

If you don't have drops, then there are risers in other versions too.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-24-21, 01:04 PM
Robert Dini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you.
Old 09-24-21, 02:40 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Either riser bars or a stem riser will allow you to raise your handlebars. The Cannondale SuperSix is more of a racing road bike but the Cannondale Synapse road bike is designed with a more relaxed, upright riding position. You may consider switching to a road bike like the Synapse that is more comfortable due to the handlebars being set a little higher.
Old 09-24-21, 04:01 PM
Robert Dini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2
Either riser bars or a stem riser will allow you to raise your handlebars. The Cannondale SuperSix is more of a racing road bike but the Cannondale Synapse road bike is designed with a more relaxed, upright riding position. You may consider switching to a road bike like the Synapse that is more comfortable due to the handlebars being set a little higher.
I am considering what you suggest. I'm thinking about a Canyon Endurace or a Specialized Roubaix.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-21, 03:08 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Dini
I am considering what you suggest. I'm thinking about a Canyon Endurace or a Specialized Roubaix.

Thanks.
The Cannondale Synapse is an excellent choice as well. Is there any reason you are not considering it?
Old 09-25-21, 08:47 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Given that there are many ways to solve this problem, (higher-angle stems, steerer tube extenders, etc,) all of which can be done for less than a hundred bucks, why in the hell would anyone suggest that the OP would be best served by spending a couple of grand on a whole new bike??!??

Hell, if you want the OP to spend lots of unnecessary money, advise them to buy a new, uncut fork and run a big stack of spacers. Suggesting a whole new bicycle is utter nonsense... you wouldn't do that if it was your money, so why would you suggest it to anyone else?

--Shannon
Old 09-25-21, 11:23 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
I have a Cannondale SuperSix 2013 model year. I'd like to raise the handlebars, if I can. I know that I can't raise them any more with spacers. Can I do it with a longer neck?

I have installed extenders on a number of bikes with great success but one thing we noticed was that the screws on the collar of the extender we purchase are short and doesn't engage all the threads. We typically will swap the screws with ones that are 5mm longer and then all the threads are engaged and bolts can be torqued up without damage to the threads of the collar.

Old 09-26-21, 03:11 AM
Robert Dini

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ARider2
The Cannondale Synapse is an excellent choice as well. Is there any reason you are not considering it?
The local Cannondale dealer is not that great. I'll check them out before I make a purchase.

Thank you.
Old 09-26-21, 06:34 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Can I do it with a longer neck?
If you want a new bike go for it, but to answer you question; Yes, now in my 70's I have found this site helpful to materially raise the bars with little impact on handling which should be considered, such as reducing the weight pushing forward on the bars makes the bike less stable:https://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html
My customs, even with quills thanks to Nitto, and a Litespeed have been raised as much as 70mm with little impact on handling at my now less aggressive riding. While I don't agree with the fashion police comments about +30º stems I will admit I can not put them on my Italians.
Old 09-26-21, 07:45 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The need for higher bars can be due to other fit problems. A saddle that's too far forward can put too much weight on the hands and the cure is often thought to be higher bars. I'm 68 years old and still use a 10cm saddle to bar drop. I'm a relatively small rider, at 5'-6" or 168cm, but I have long legs, so my saddle height is 72-73cm.