Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Pair of 1971 Gazelle Sport Special Bikes - need info plz!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-21, 07:03 PM
odge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found a couple of Gazelle Sport Special 3 speeds, serial numbers date them to 1971-72, they need to be cleaned up and the tires are shot. Can anyone tell more anything about them? I tried to post some pics but being new to the forum I am not allowed. Rims are Weinmann, drum 3 speed, brakes are rods not cables, saddle is Lepper comfort. I read somewhere that Raleigh made some bikes in Holland? Thanks for any help, Odge
Old 09-25-21, 08:16 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Hey,

Welcome to the Forum! Post count is a safeguard against spammers. Not a big deal to post a few times and reach the number.

Sounds like you have some good machines there! Not familiar myself with them but others will chime in with their expertise.

We like pics when you can!
Old 09-25-21, 10:29 PM
odge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds good, I will post as soon as I can, will probably have them shined up a little by then
Old 09-27-21, 07:29 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
A good place to look (with the help of Google Translate) is Vereniging Oude Fiets.

From what I know the Gazelle Sport Speciaal is a Dutch only model. While it is true Gazelle made some bike under license for Raleigh (such as the Raleigh Competition or this Dutch market version of that model) during the height of the bike boom of the 70's.

Where are you located? I know these are rare outside of the Netherlands though there is a very large and enthusiastic following in Indonesia.

Source: Gazelle Beeldbank
Old 09-27-21, 08:06 AM
odge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, great info! I will check out that link and the pic you posted is the bike! Thank you, much appreciated. I am located in Bellevue, Washington (right outside of Seattle).
Old 09-27-21, 08:12 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by odge
Wow, great info! I will check out that link and the pic you posted is the bike! Thank you, much appreciated. I am located in Bellevue, Washington (right outside of Seattle).
If you need any spare parts for the bike HollandBikeShop.com has a lot of parts for these still, even the brake rods.

And Bikestoremember has a lot of truly vintage parts for sale.
Old 09-27-21, 08:51 AM
odge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again for the help, the bikes have been hanging from the rafters of a garage for many years so will need to be cleaned up and tuned up. I will do some of the cleaning but will sell them to someone who will appreciate them way more me.