Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Sprints - Duration or Power?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 10-04-17, 09:59 AM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fellow racers,

I've been working on my sprints (as that area is lacking) and I'm curious if ya'll focus on the duration of the sprint or the power being produced during the sprint?

Most of the stuff I've been doing is in the 30 second range and I find it easier to simply count in my head or I pick a Strava segment close to that time and go with duration.

I'm wondering if I should focus on the amount of power I am producing during the sprint vs looking at it post ride.

Thoughts?
Old 10-04-17, 10:15 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can focus on the power you are doing during the sprint, you are not really sprinting

Sprints are won by knowing when to jump, jumping, and going faster than everybody else. You can't practice knowing when to jump. Whether you can train a jump is open to debate, but you can at least train getting familiar with it. You can train going faster.
Old 10-04-17, 11:24 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The races I usually did almost never come down to a Sagan jump at the end nipping a guy at the line. Its almost always the freshest guy with sustained 10-15 second power.

This is a really good source:

Fast Talk podcast, ep. 20: Get better at sprinting | VeloNews.com
Old 10-04-17, 11:31 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I'm not a racer but I have driven a few to races...
I know this is a bit 180 from what you are asking, but the other thing is to focus where you are already strong, and make it stronger - then find the races that fit your sprint.
Travel, finding them may not be an option, but I thought I'd at least bring it up.

On a team with a few sprinters it was not unusual for the director to suggest that was a course for so and so. That was basically telling everyone who they were working for.
Old 10-04-17, 11:35 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
If you can focus on the power you are doing during the sprint, you are not really sprinting

Sprints are won by knowing when to jump, jumping, and going faster than everybody else. You can't practice knowing when to jump. Whether you can train a jump is open to debate, but you can at least train getting familiar with it. You can train going faster.
Agreed - except you can practice when to jump by racing a lot (and being there at the end).

my race videos

Last edited by mattm; 10-04-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 11:42 AM
mattm
**** that

To the OP's question, I think the answer is "both."

The two basic parts of a sprint are the initial jump, and then the sustained effort. The initial jump is the peak, and you can work on a higher peak by doing workouts like standing starts, hitting up the gym, plyometrics, etc.

Then there is the sustained part, which comes down to form, cadence, gearing, fitness, etc.

On top of all that there's the speed at which you are comfortable jumping and sprinting. On team rides you might start a sprint from 20-25 mph; in a race you might start the sprint at 30-35 mph. Just because you win team ride sprints doesn't mean you can do the same in real races (lucky for me, I suck at sprinting from slower speeds, but am better at higher speed sprints).

In general (I think) the only part of this you should work on during the winter/Base period is the cadence part. Do "speed work," which is basically high-cadence for extended periods. Then in Build you start doing jumps and actual sprint workouts.

Then again, I'm not really a pure sprinter. But this is what I know/do.

my race videos
Old 10-04-17, 01:43 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Both. But 30s isn't what I'd consider a sprint. That's a leadout!

I work on both year round. Sometimes just a kick for 10 pedal strokes varying whether it's from a big gear or little gear, sometimes a distance (telephone pole or mail box), sometimes I'll shoot for 12 secs or whatever WKO4 tells me.

30 sec efforts are something entirely different, however, and I'm going to be doing those year-round too (or planning to).
Old 10-04-17, 02:50 PM
arai_speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas

Which is what I do now - count to 30 while fading...recover...look down.

Originally Posted by furiousferret
The races I usually did almost never come down to a Sagan jump at the end nipping a guy at the line. Its almost always the freshest guy with sustained 10-15 second power.

This is a really good source:

Fast Talk podcast, ep. 20: Get better at sprinting | VeloNews.com
Very good podcast! Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by mattm

The two basic parts of a sprint are the initial jump, and then the sustained effort. The initial jump is the peak, and you can work on a higher peak by doing workouts like standing starts, hitting up the gym, plyometrics, etc.

Then there is the sustained part, which comes down to form, cadence, gearing, fitness, etc.

On top of all that there's the speed at which you are comfortable jumping and sprinting. On team rides you might start a sprint from 20-25 mph; in a race you might start the sprint at 30-35 mph. Just because you win team ride sprints doesn't mean you can do the same in real races (lucky for me, I suck at sprinting from slower speeds, but am better at higher speed sprints).

In general (I think) the only part of this you should work on during the winter/Base period is the cadence part. Do "speed work," which is basically high-cadence for extended periods. Then in Build you start doing jumps and actual sprint workouts.

Great point on the speed at which the sprints happens. Most crits round these parts are fast and flowing so the speed leading to the "initial jump" point are fast. I need to consider that for my workouts.

Originally Posted by rubiksoval

I work on both year round. Sometimes just a kick for 10 pedal strokes varying whether it's from a big gear or little gear, sometimes a distance (telephone pole or mail box), sometimes I'll shoot for 12 secs or whatever WKO4 tells me.

30 sec efforts are something entirely different, however, and I'm going to be doing those year-round too (or planning to).
My reasoning for the 30 second interval is that I don't have explosive power, so chances of me winning in a 10/15 second sprint seem far fetched. The leadout remark reminds of me of my last race where I jumped with 2 corners to go, ("when in doubt lead out"), and when I came to the final meters I got passed by 2 riders (easily) then totally faded and lost a couple more spots before the line. That effort was about 50 seconds (20 seconds too long) and to your point, I simply gave the field behind me a "leadout" to the line

I have 2 races this month (both on the same day) so I'm curious on what I can do to improve upon my past results.
Old 10-04-17, 03:36 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by arai_speed
My reasoning for the 30 second interval is that I don't have explosive power, so chances of me winning in a 10/15 second sprint seem far fetched.
Same for me - I can't drag race these guys so I need to get an early jump and hope they hesitate.

And it worked recently!

It wasn't quite a sprint, and luckily not a leadout (I had a few bike lengths on everyone at the line), but my sprint training of ~30-second efforts, jumps @ speed, etc, definitely helped me pull it off.

my race videos
Old 10-04-17, 03:51 PM
arai_speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same for me - I can't drag race these guys so I need to get an early jump and hope they hesitate.

And it worked recently!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNhJXZ7ehG4

It wasn't quite a sprint, and luckily not a leadout (I had a few bike lengths on everyone at the line), but my sprint training of ~30-second efforts, jumps @ speed, etc, definitely helped me pull it off.
I saw that video and thought that was well executed. I then saw your SF Giro Pro/1/2 Crit 2017 where you executed the same move but the results were a bit different. Stronger competition that day?
Old 10-04-17, 04:03 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts

30 seconds is a pretty typical sprint for me.
Old 10-04-17, 04:15 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by arai_speed
I saw that video and thought that was well executed. I then saw your SF Giro Pro/1/2 Crit 2017 where you executed the same move but the results were a bit different. Stronger competition that day?
Same competition that day, actually - but I think I just didn't have the element of surprise anymore.

And SF Giro was a somewhat "easier" race - at Suisun there were constant attacks, we were all trying to make/get in breaks, and at the Giro there was a lot less of that. So I think they were more rested.

And also I should have gone earlier at SF...

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

my race videos
Old 10-04-17, 04:56 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by gsteinb
30 seconds is a pretty typical sprint for me.
30 seconds isn't a sprint. Different system at that point.
Old 10-04-17, 05:15 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I only want to know what radishdude thinks.
Old 10-04-17, 05:53 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I only want to know what radishdude thinks.
Posts like this make me wish this forum had a "Like" button.

OP, downhill sprint workouts are pretty good for working on building top speed at high cadences.
Old 10-05-17, 10:38 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts

This topic is interesting to me as a trackie, because for the past few years I've been learning how track sprinters train and applying it as a track enduro and crit racer: break the sprint down in to component parts and periodize based on that.

Essentially, I used to only work on my sprint on the same sort of cycle you mention here. Then, I flipped it, doing a lot more work on it in the offseason, and my sprint power went waaaaaay the eff up.
Old 10-05-17, 11:06 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
.. downhill sprint workouts are pretty good for working on building top speed at high cadences.
So are junior gears.

I commuted on a fixed track bike for years - 52X17. It forced me to spin way higher than I wanted to on the descents - or use a brake, and that was out. I always had a great sprint, I was just too tired to use it at the end of the race, or I was OTB so I didn't need to.

I did a lot of video of my kid sprinting. For him, distance was the #1 item. IF the ride was much over 2 hours - not much sprint. ~hour in it was hard to beat on any kind of incline (junior gears).
Old 10-05-17, 11:09 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by queerpunk
This topic is interesting to me as a trackie, because for the past few years I've been learning how track sprinters train and applying it as a track enduro and crit racer: break the sprint down in to component parts and periodize based on that.

Essentially, I used to only work on my sprint on the same sort of cycle you mention here. Then, I flipped it, doing a lot more work on it in the offseason, and my sprint power went waaaaaay the eff up.
what kind of work have you been doing in the off season? I really want to focus on increasing sprint/anaerobic power this offseason. planning some gym work along with track starts (i think that's what they're called? basically starting in a big gear from a stop), but interested in hearing what you do.
Old 10-05-17, 11:45 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
what kind of work have you been doing in the off season? I really want to focus on increasing sprint/anaerobic power this offseason. planning some gym work along with track starts (i think that's what they're called? basically starting in a big gear from a stop), but interested in hearing what you do.
You'll probably listen to some of this on the internet later this week, but, well, I work on my sprint (I do other things, too). Right now, it's training, and the base of sprinting is strength.

The what is a little bit less important than the how, and that's where roadies and trackies diverge a fair bit. A few things are key. Two things that go hand in hand are: doing sprint workouts when kind of fresh (the day after an easy day), and doing them as maximal efforts with full recovery in between them (i'm talking about 15 minutes of barely pedaling). The point of this is to achieve breakthroughs to stimulate that sweet sweet supercompenstiaon. To do that you need maximal efforts, and you can't do maximal efforts on a group ride or if you were just going z5 to get up and over a hill (after sprint efforts I'm either in the 28 at 40rpm, or just sitting in the grass for a few minutes).

Gym work is likely to help, especially if you're light af (Through gym and other strength work I basically went from racing at 125lbs to racing at 135-140, and this coincided with me getting a lot faster. Ain't gonna make you less areo, and it'll help you win races that aren't bear mountain) - strength helps you push on the pedals harder, which is a component of pushing on them harder + faster.

But you can also get a lot done on the bike. I'd wave you off of standing start workouts and push you toward overgeared accelerations from like 60 rpm to 120+ rpm (4 of these is a hard workout under 90 minutes and if you do it right you won't be able to ride tempo home). This is a lot closer to component specificity (especially for someone who's not doing standing starts in competition). And, periodize. After some time spent producing that force, work on producing force faster: bring the gears down, bring the cadence up (wind up from 110 rpm to 145), and head toward specificity: converting that strength into power into speed by doing speed-appropriate or overspeed workouts like downhill-ledout sprints.

Stop sprinting when you start bog down.
Old 10-05-17, 01:29 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

you're doing it wrong
Ok.

Is it still a lead out if you win?
Old 10-05-17, 02:00 PM
rubiksoval

Ok.

Is it still a lead out if you win?
Where'd you pull that quote from? I don't recall saying it, but you've put my name on it.
Old 10-05-17, 02:06 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

You explaining how you can't sprint for 30 seconds, despite track running events being defined as 100m, 200m, 400m and track cycling events being defined as Match Sprint (Men/Women) 1,000 m Time Trial (Men) 500 m Time Trial (Women).

Check the times on some of those events.
Old 10-05-17, 02:52 PM
mattm
**** that

You know it's the off season when guys are fighting about what a "sprint" is lol.

Forget the word "sprint" - what we're really talking about is an effort at the end of the race to win. (an effort that is say 60 seconds or less)

Some people prefer a 5-second effort, some prefer a 45-second effort. (some prefer a 60-minute effort but that's something else entirely). Whatever the length of the effort, the idea is that it starts with an all-out sprint, and is a "go as hard as you can until you blow up" kind of thing.

my race videos
Old 10-05-17, 03:09 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Alls I know is ur mom digs on duration and power know what i'm sayinnnnnn
Old 10-05-17, 03:15 PM
rubiksoval

You explaining how you can't sprint for 30 seconds, despite track running events being defined as 100m, 200m, 400m and track cycling events being defined as Match Sprint (Men/Women) 1,000 m Time Trial (Men) 500 m Time Trial (Women).

Check the times on some of those events.

So you just made up a quote and attributed it to me?

That's... bizarre.

Regardless of your definition of a sprint, surely you can actually use something I wrote instead of straight-up lying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.