Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Pedestrian killed by tanker truck

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-16-22, 07:54 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts

A 34-year-old man died in a Montreal hospital after being hit by a tanker truck and dragged for several metres.
https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/man-in-c...real-1.5904133
On the door of the truck is the name of the company, R.L. Vallee. I searched the name and found a google business page for that company with several complaints about dangerous driving including one incident involving the same truck.

(Translated by Google) Friday July 9th around 05:30 am on Métropolitain boul, Langelier height, the driver is tanker # 767, is a dangerous driver! This one sticks to our bumper (3 times in a row) by turning on its lights to make it drive faster. I am in the central lane of the Metropolitan driving at a respectable speed! I don't have to endure this driver's rage! All he has to do is overtake and not put us in danger! (Original) vendredi le 9 juillet dernier vers 05:30 Am sur le boul Métropolitain hauteur Langelier, le conducteur fe la citerne #767, est un conducteur dangereux! Celui-ci se colle a notre par parechoc (3 fois de suite) en allumant ses lumières pour faire rouler plus vite. Je suis dans la voie central du Métropolitain conduisant a une vitesse respectable! je n’ai pas a subir la rage de ce chauffeur! Il n’a qu’a dépasser et ne pas nous mettre en danger!
https://goo.gl/maps/uRh8xuqZsmmD3ZKt5
Likes For homeless in ca.:
Old 05-19-22, 03:09 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
My sympathies to the victim's family.

There's nothing to prove that it was the same driver. Also, I'm impressed that CTV managed to use the word "accident" so many times in such a short space.
Old 05-19-22, 03:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
My sympathies to the victim's family.

There's nothing to prove that it was the same driver.
Or the same tractor pulling tanker #761.
Old 05-19-22, 04:48 PM
homeless in ca.

The company's google page has 3 complaints of bad drivers.

In Quebec, you don't have the best drivers.... i was doing 60 mph and one of your truck was tailgating me and was not very polite when he passed me. He gave me the middle finger. Not impressed. Not very impressed with the image you gave me about this company

(Translated by Google) Friday July 9th around 05:30 am on Métropolitain boul, Langelier height, the driver is tanker # 767, is a dangerous driver! This one sticks to our bumper (3 times in a row) by turning on its lights to make it drive faster. I am in the central lane of the Metropolitan driving at a respectable speed! I don't have to endure this driver's rage! All he has to do is overtake and not put us in danger! (Original) vendredi le 9 juillet dernier vers 05:30 Am sur le boul Métropolitain hauteur Langelier, le conducteur fe la citerne #767, est un conducteur dangereux! Celui-ci se colle a notre par parechoc (3 fois de suite) en allumant ses lumières pour faire rouler plus vite. Je suis dans la voie central du Métropolitain conduisant a une vitesse respectable! je n’ai pas a subir la rage de ce chauffeur! Il n’a qu’a dépasser et ne pas nous mettre en danger!

(Translated by Google) Crazy driver, don't stop, drive too fast, aggressive behind the wheel, no speed limit respected, they wanted to kill me by wanting to get me off the road. If you see one of their trucks, call the police, they're traffic criminals. (Original) Chauffeur fou, ne font pas leurs stop, conduit trop vite, aggressif au volant, aucune limite de vitesse respecter, ils ont voulu me tuer en voulant me faire sortir de la route. Si vous voyer un de leurs camion, appeller la police, ce sont des criminels de la route.
Old 05-19-22, 05:00 PM
homeless in ca.

The vice president has a biography on Wikipedia.
Rodolphe Meaker "Skip" Vallee (born 1960) is the former American Ambassador to Slovakia (2005-2008) and is “Chairman, CEO, and owner of R. L. Vallee, Inc., a Vermont-based energy company that includes the "Maplefields" convenience store chain, a top regional motor fuels distributorship, and an environmental remediation and consulting unit. Prior to that, he worked in executive positions for several companies involved in the development and operation of trash, biomass, hydro, and other renewable energy facilities.”,[1][2]

Vallee was appointed by President Bush to the Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and Negotiation in 2001, served as a member of the Republican National Committee from 1999-2004, and chaired the Vermont delegation to the 2004 Republican National Convention.[1][2]

Vallee received a Bachelor's degree in biology (with a concentration in environmental studies) in 1982 from Williams College and a Master’s degree in Business Administration in 1986 from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.[1][2] He was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 2017.[3]

In October 2019, he was one of four Vermont gas distributors that agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit after they were accused of cheating customers out of $100 million.[4]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodolphe_M._Vallee
Old 05-19-22, 05:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
this was a pedestrian accident?
Old 05-19-22, 05:30 PM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this was a pedestrian accident?
Yes. According to "La Presse" the victim's belongings included a squeegee. Panhandlers often work that intersection.
Old 05-19-22, 07:10 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
So not really relevant here.
Old 05-19-22, 07:38 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Greed, guns and gas destroyed paradise. Two out of three claimed this poor soul....
Old 05-20-22, 12:24 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Not too sure why this is posted on a cycling forum but am pretty sure that most or all trucking/transportation companies have a few bad driving reviews.
Most or all restaurants have a few bad food reviews.
Most or all hotel chains have a few bad room reviews.
Most or all car companies have a few bad car reviews.
Most or all bicycle companies have a few bad bicycle reviews.
Most or all taxi companies have a few bad driving reviews.
Most or all boat ferry companies have a few bad reviews.
Most or all insert any company name here have a few bad reviews.
Old 05-20-22, 03:08 AM
homeless in ca.

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Not too sure why this is posted on a cycling forum but am pretty sure that most or all trucking/transportation companies have a few bad driving reviews.
Most or all restaurants have a few bad food reviews.
Most or all hotel chains have a few bad room reviews.
Most or all car companies have a few bad car reviews.
Most or all bicycle companies have a few bad bicycle reviews.
Most or all taxi companies have a few bad driving reviews.
Most or all boat ferry companies have a few bad reviews.
Most or all insert any company name here have a few bad reviews.
This company has 310 employees spread across almost 50 stores. 3 reported incidents of aggressive driving is a lot.
Old 05-20-22, 05:54 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
How the hell is this relevant to cycling??? Just because it's a motor vehicle involved?

Get a grip, you guys, this is WAY off base. If you guys want to talk about random topics, go to Foo.

Last edited by BillyD; 05-20-22 at 06:00 AM.
Likes For BillyD: