Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Domane SL must haves?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Domane SL must haves?

Old 05-26-22, 04:00 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Domane SL must haves?

Just looking for some good ideas that fellow Domane owners bought for there bicycle. Whether it's something simple or something technical, what would you recommend as a "ya gotta get this!!" ?

Not specific to just a certain series Domane.

First thing I would recommend is upgrading the BB.
The OEM praxis t47 seems to be a problem child, & rather than wait for it to fail, I'd recommend (experienced) swapping in the Hambini Racing T47 BB. Don't forget the tool (the tool might cheaper thru other online sources)

What would you recommend? It could be a part upgrade, accessories, or as simple as an adjustment.
Old 05-26-22, 04:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I don't have one, but the custom mounts for their head and tail running lights would be high on my list.

What is going on with the T47? I thought that was supposed to fix all the press-fit problems. Also, didn't Chris King introduce it? Why not upgrade to that? (Nothing against Hambini and his fetching personality, but they are a bit £££).
Old 05-26-22, 04:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Tune the motor for more wattage!
Old 05-26-22, 05:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9525 Post(s)
Liked 6,267 Times in 3,455 Posts
I’ve done a fair amount to my SL5:

Fizik Carbon 3D print saddle
Carbon bars
Roubaix tape
BBinfiniti ceramic bottom bracket
BBinfiniti larger pulley wheels
Garmin 1030+
Bontrager lights
Varia
DuraAce rotors (cause black looked cooler)
Bontrager Aeolous Pro 37 wheelset
Bontrager R3 tires in 28
Stages left crank power meter

IMO, the must haves are carbon wheels, Blendr light and computer mounts, PM, and carbon bars. Bottom bracket if problems.
Old 05-26-22, 10:43 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
1. Yep, replace the stock BB for sure, I went with BBInfinite because I was not sure how long it was going to take for the Hambini BB to get there, but either one of those work. I have no complaints on the BBInfinite.
2. I like the 50mm depth wheels, so I got the Aeolus Pro 51's
3. With the Pro 51's being narrower that the Pro 3v's, I changed to 30mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLR's. I also tried 28's, but I found the 30mm, a much more comfy ride on this bike, so I put the 28's on my Emonda.
4. I really like the Bontrager Grippytack bar tap, I got it in black and red. Liked the look of it and my Emonda was in need of new tape, but they were out of the red, so I went wiith the black and white and really like that combo much better. I already bought some to put on when time comes.
5. Dual Blendr mount for the handlebars to handle the computer and light. I like having that stuff centered, looks very clean.
6. Just picked up a Varia.
7. The SLR I got comes stock with a carbon handlebar, and the SL does not. When I was looking at the SL, that was also on my immediate replace list.

Old 05-26-22, 10:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
What is going on with the T47? I thought that was supposed to fix all the press-fit problems. Also, didn't Chris King introduce it? Why not upgrade to that? (Nothing against Hambini and his fetching personality, but they are a bit £££).
I was riding one day, got caught in the rain and while riding home, I got the sensation of grinding as I pedaled. When I cleaned the bike up, I noticed a lot of grease on the BB bearing shell and frame. After I pulled the crank, the bearing felt like it was nothing but rocks in it on the drive side. I replaced the bearings and just out of caution, I checked them after 500 miles or so, the drive side bearing was not as smooth as the non drive, seemed very gritty, but not like the original bearing issue. I rode another 100, kept and eye on it, but I could feel it grinding now. Pulled the crank, noticed a little grease starting to show up seem between seals. The bike shop gave me another set of bearings just to be sure, and same issue. All told, less than 2k, and 3 sets of bearings.

I decided it was not worth it and ordered the BBInfinite and it has been smooth as silk for almost 2000 miles now. Price wise, they are about the same as Hambini, but I got BBInfinite in 3 days as they are not that far me.

Brian

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-26-22, 11:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

That's terrible, but I hope the BBinfinite works out.

I just replaced my Shimano BSA 68 threaded BB after three years because I falsely thought it was clicking slightly (It turned out my pedal spindle threads simply needed some grease). I saved the perfectly old one as a backup. Even though I can see superficial dirt in it, it feels smooth (and wasn't the source of the click). BB really should be set and forget.
Old 05-26-22, 11:25 PM
jaxgtr

That's terrible, but I hope the BBinfinite works out.

I just replaced my Shimano BSA 68 threaded BB after three years because I falsely thought it was clicking slightly (It turned out my pedal spindle threads simply needed some grease). I saved the perfectly old one as a backup. Even though I can see superficial dirt in it, it feels smooth (and wasn't the source of the click). BB really should be set and forget.

Yea it was very odd, the BB shell itself was not the issue, just the bearings, probably could have got better bearings, but decided I replace the whole thing.
he BB and bearings in my Emonda were over 5 years and still very smooth and I have lots of miles on it. I liked the BBInfinite on the Domane so much, I went ahead and replaced the stock BB and bearing on the Emonda as well with one.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-26-22, 11:33 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I had to look it up. Now I want one, but at 6X the price of my Ultegra BB, it would have to be a heck of a lot better, or last me 18 years. But it is available in a red option, which would match my Chris King bling. (The King BB is one size fits nothing for my style of BB, and you have to buy plastic adapters for the spindles, which strikes me as insane.)

Here is the Chris King T47 BB, if anyone is interested.
Old 05-27-22, 07:31 AM
Troul 

I had to look it up. Now I want one, but at 6X the price of my Ultegra BB, it would have to be a heck of a lot better, or last me 18 years. But it is available in a red option, which would match my Chris King bling. (The King BB is one size fits nothing for my style of BB, and you have to buy plastic adapters for the spindles, which strikes me as insane.)

I would suggest ordering a BBI or Hamb bb, but you could try replacing just the bearings. I thought about it, but i just know my luck with plastic bb stuff & went all in.
Old 05-27-22, 08:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Stock, my Domane SL5 was a bit of a pig, relatively speaking - just a little slow to respond to rider input, as far as changes to speed and direction are concerned. The best thing that I did to mine was make sure it had really nice wheels and tires. Running good, modern 28s with wide rims allowed cushy pressures without feeling sluggish. It didn't magically turn it in to a crit machine, but it livened things up very noticeably, without sacrificing its ability to soak up miles of ****** roads.
Old 05-27-22, 09:56 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
I have a 2018 Domane SL and the only things I've done to it was to add a saddlebag, a a cycle computer, two bottle cages, and a bell. Everything is working well including the BB. If it ain't broke I don't fix it.
Old 05-27-22, 06:06 PM
jaxgtr

I have the red on my Emonda.... it's perdy....

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-27-22, 08:36 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Best upgrade for me was Absolute Black Mini Compact Oval,Chainrings. (48 x 32) for helping this fat ole man up those mountains.
Old 05-27-22, 09:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
A nice titanium bike?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-28-22, 01:17 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A nice titanium bike?
plastic chain too?
Old 05-28-22, 06:48 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Troul
plastic chain too?
Gold chain for titanium bikes. Riders too.
Old 05-28-22, 01:47 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Gold chain for titanium bikes. Riders too.
Rollerless gold chain? It should be solid gold, ammirite?
Old 05-28-22, 02:56 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Troul
Rollerless gold chain? It should be solid gold, ammirite?
At least the one around the neck.
Old 05-28-22, 03:08 PM
Troul 

do you wax or grease coat it prior to wearing?
Old 05-28-22, 03:19 PM
Mojo31
-------

No clue.
Old 05-30-22, 08:24 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Blender computer and light mounts as said before. Very slick look. Rear Ion flare mounts very clean also. GP5000 Tubeless as well. Much better riding than stock. My BB has been OK.
Old 06-03-22, 06:13 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
I have an SL6 I’ve been riding since last July and the BB is still good. That said a few things I’d suggest are a 3D mount for the Varia radar light if you have one. Use the Trek rear reflector bracket for a clean look. Go ahead with the Bontrager light for the underwear bracket. Can never have too many rear flashy lights. Then some colored caps cap and spacers. I need to put red dots on the white spacer for the TDF KOM jersey.

Yes I have room to grow.