Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where are they now ???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where are they now ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 03:20 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
We're out riding our bikes

-Kurt

Old 10-15-09, 03:25 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Well, I have been here a while and think this place is just fine. People come and go and one of the nice things about this place is that just because your gone for a bit, it does not mean you can't come back.

Personally, I am in the process of off-loading most of my "collection" in an attempt to keep what I truly love and ride and not be encumbered with managing the "stuff" that comes with this type of hobby. I also will be taking delivery of a modern, steel road bike in the next week or so (10sp w/ brifters ) because I test road it and really enjoyed it.
Old 10-15-09, 03:45 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
What I'm more concerned about are the grumpy curmudgeons who refuse to go!

Card member since 2006.
Old 10-15-09, 03:51 PM
soderbiker
Waiting for Summer !

Bikes: E.Merckx Corsa extra PK Banken,E.Merckx Corsa extra TT,E.Merckx Strada,De Visini,Olmo Gentleman,Peugeot PA-10,E.Merckx Corsa extra Team Issue,Nishiki Olympic Royale,Nishiki Olympic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cudak888
We're out riding our bikes

-Kurt
exactly what i was just thinking .
i was working like a torado this season
T
Old 10-15-09, 04:00 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
What I'm more concerned about are the grumpy curmudgeons who refuse to go!

Card member since 2006.
Believe me, I'm close.
Old 10-15-09, 05:05 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Believe me, I'm close.
I, for one, wouldn't want that.

I have only been here a couple of years, but have learned so much from so many of you. Yes, participation ebbs and flows for many on here. As many other members here, I have belonged to other forums, and my participation there changed as my interests have changed.

And, I have seen the gradual shift to lower end bikes being discussed more often, too.

I think part of the reason for that shift is the creeping up of prices for all vintage bikes. So, the best ones become too expensive for many of us. I have seached the archives for info about various bikes and there are many posts from years ago where someone asked about a PX-10 or such in great condition and was told that $200 was way too much to pay for one. Now those same bikes sell for double or triple that amount.
Old 10-15-09, 06:52 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fat Guy
Believe me, I'm close.
Aw, I wasn't referring to you ... specifically.

I don't mind the 'low-end' aficionados or the one-time posters at all. A mix is good. If you want to discuss expensive, high end frames and components exclusively, there's the CR list and the Serotta Forum. I find the community here fairly open, and to me that's a good thing. We also have to acknowledge that statistically, there were far more entry to mid-level bikes produced than custom, handbuilt jobs, so of course there will be more discussion at that end of the spectrum.
Old 10-15-09, 08:39 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
I come and go here as my bikes tell me to, but it's always a pleasure. Thanks for all the help, one and all. You rule.

I don't have a whole lot of interest in high-end bikes (I got rid of my C&V car 'cause it was killing my bank account; not interested in repeating the experience with bikes), so I guess the recent trends are in my favor.

But what happened to sammyboy?
Old 10-15-09, 09:09 PM
redneckwes
Super Course fan

Location: Lost on the windswept plains of the Great Black Swamp
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You are a snob....

But I understand your point, myself I get tired of the centuivegawashayamaguchi generic Asian bike threads.

I left for awhile, but I've wondered back, but 85% of the threads now are pretty dull. 80's stuff does not do much for me. Bring on the archaic old racers and strange Euro 10-speeds....

I have also noticed the change in tone. It's unfortunate C&V seemed to be the last bastion of civility on the net, I'd hate to see that decline.

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
At the risk of getting flamed here, I'll chime in.

Yes, life in general and the other reasons mentioned are likely factors. But there is another one that has not been mentioned: the C&V site itself is not what it once was.

How so? A couple of ways.

First, although there is still a bunch of cool stuff that appears and great info that gets shared, there has been, to my eye, a general drift toward lower-end stuff. Call me a snob or worse if you want, but I have no interest in UO-8's or Varsinentals or lower end Raleighs. There is nothing wrong with folks who like them, but that is not where my interests lie. And there has been less of the high-end rides that float my boat and more of the Bike Boom Specials that don't.

Second, the tone has gotten less friendly.
Old 10-15-09, 10:13 PM
DavidW56

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been on this forum a little over a year. I'm interested in the low-end vintage bikes because I can afford to buy them, and also because they are easier to find, as someone stated previously. Maybe a little too affordable and easy to find, because now I have more bikes than I can handle.

The other reason is that I need to learn and practice basic and advanced bike maintenance on less-valuable bikes before I tackle the high-end dream machines often pictured on this forum. I'll never get tired of reading the "how-to" threads, or the valuation threads, or advice threads.

But I enjoy seeing the high-end bikes just as much. I never heard of any of them before joining this forum, and even after a year here, I'm still seeing bike names new to me. This forum is the single most important resource I have for learning about my new-found hobby and interest, and I hope I'll acquire enough expertise such that I can be a resource for others here as well someday.

As it is now, I spend too much time on this forum myself, and not enough time working on the bikes overflowing my garage, much less out on a pleasure ride. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the older regular posters have simply cut their online time in favor of increasing their riding time.
Old 10-15-09, 10:40 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottryder
Has anyone heard from Robatsu? He hasn't updated his blog since June ..

Scott
Yeah, I always enjoyed his threads. I particularly liked the thread about trying to embrace a claw hanger on one of his lower end Fuji's.

I think there are a good number of people here that perpetuate the good vibes. Maybe I have trouble seeing the change in mood since I have only been here a couple of years. I do see occasional spats but they seem few and short lived.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 10-16-09, 10:50 AM
PolishGuy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The C&V section is my regular stop when I log onto Bikeforums. I also check in with: OldRoads, Bikelist and Gentleman Cyclist groups during my lunch or breaktimes during the day. I don't normally post a lot because I don't feel I have much to say that hasn't already been said by others who appear to be more knowledgable and experienced than I am. The information shared by others is great. Whether it's about an old high-end road bike or garden variety "roadster" those who share help to enlighten those of us, me included, who mostly read the posts. For those we don't hear much from anymore, life happens.....things come up and bicycling and things related to it get put aside for a while. PG.
Old 10-16-09, 11:11 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
Yeah, I always enjoyed his threads. I particularly liked the thread about trying to embrace a claw hanger on one of his lower end Fuji's.
I got an email from him yesterday. He expects to be back on the bike in a few months.
Old 10-16-09, 12:00 PM
twoducks

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DavidW56
I've been on this forum a little over a year. I'm interested in the low-end vintage bikes because I can afford to buy them, and also because they are easier to find, as someone stated previously. Maybe a little too affordable and easy to find, because now I have more bikes than I can handle.

The other reason is that I need to learn and practice basic and advanced bike maintenance on less-valuable bikes before I tackle the high-end dream machines often pictured on this forum. I'll never get tired of reading the "how-to" threads, or the valuation threads, or advice threads.

But I enjoy seeing the high-end bikes just as much. I never heard of any of them before joining this forum, and even after a year here, I'm still seeing bike names new to me. This forum is the single most important resource I have for learning about my new-found hobby and interest, and I hope I'll acquire enough expertise such that I can be a resource for others here as well someday.

As it is now, I spend too much time on this forum myself, and not enough time working on the bikes overflowing my garage, much less out on a pleasure ride. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if the older regular posters have simply cut their online time in favor of increasing their riding time.

I second this.
Old 10-16-09, 12:13 PM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
I, for one, wouldn't want that.

I have only been here a couple of years, but have learned so much from so many of you. Yes, participation ebbs and flows for many on here. As many other members here, I have belonged to other forums, and my participation there changed as my interests have changed.

And, I have seen the gradual shift to lower end bikes being discussed more often, too.

I think part of the reason for that shift is the creeping up of prices for all vintage bikes. So, the best ones become too expensive for many of us. I have seached the archives for info about various bikes and there are many posts from years ago where someone asked about a PX-10 or such in great condition and was told that $200 was way too much to pay for one. Now those same bikes sell for double or triple that amount.
I see that as a sign that more people are being attracted to the hobby. One has to start somewhere, and I think most people start quite modestly. True, some are content to remain with bargain bikes, but some don't. For me, it has been an evolutionary process, and until I purchased a new LHT last year, I never had spent more than $200.00 on a bike or frame. It can be an interesting journey of mixed fortunes and unexpected opportunities. What I think matters most, is that people are able to enjoy the ride.
Old 10-16-09, 12:16 PM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
I come and go here as my bikes tell me to, but it's always a pleasure. Thanks for all the help, one and all. You rule.

I don't have a whole lot of interest in high-end bikes (I got rid of my C&V car 'cause it was killing my bank account; not interested in repeating the experience with bikes), so I guess the recent trends are in my favor.

But what happened to sammyboy?
sammyboy got married, and is evidently in the "happily ever after" phase. Hopefully he'll stop by to visit us on occasion.
Old 10-16-09, 12:22 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
not snobbity. not snarky. tiz forum is da shiz!

Some of us have realized that we have much more to learn than to offer and largely just listen, anymore. True of life itself, too...
Old 10-16-09, 12:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
Very interesting direction this thread is taking.
my thought is that the high end bikes are out there, one just has to be patient in looking for
them. I think one reason that we see so many threads concerning low or mid level bikes are
they are what most people buy when they first venture into the C&V world, unless they have
some idea of what they want (i.e. I bought the colnago I wanted back in 1975 but couldn't afford).
That and the lower end bikes are readily available.

I think C&V is still one of the most civil sub forums here, and the 'regulars' seem to try to
keep it that way. Sure we see some threads with snarky remarks but they are the exception, not
the norm. When we set up C&V my intention was to keep it friendly, and modeled much of the
format and feel on Dale's Classic Rendezvous list, only less restrictive in terms of what we do
and do not discuss. I have to say that for the most part C&V has exceeded my expectations
and hopes in terms of information shared and the sense of community.

Marty
I don't mind the cheaper stuff, not everyone has the allowance for the pricey stuff, but often after the initial cost of a bike, the refurbishment costs are similar, for the lower end and the higher end machine.
For my own purchases, I'm a super snob. Oh well, I hide them well.

The CR list has become less entertaining, the archives are much better than the current. 2001 trough 2004 was much better than today. Just hope the poster there that insists on signing off with Dr. -----
does not find this venue. And I don't mean Dr. Deltron.

I will vote that I miss "theotherguy". And lotek does not appear to post as often, but I have not made a project to monitor.

Then there are the eccentrics, the Joe's and frubin's of the bike world. We do need them all though.
Old 10-16-09, 12:32 PM
skyrider

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been a long time member, rarely posts, dont have too much computer savyy, type with one finger, Im here every day, took summer off. This place has been a true blessing, for me It the hobby got me thru some tough times, Im at a point where when Im ridin my dialed in bikes with 125psi + pump into it nothing really matters to me I love it. Thanks guys. I think the forum flows to were it has to go. and threads like this keep everything grounded, Thanks for sharing all knowledge, and experience,The point is cycling can have a real positive influence on many newcomers.
Old 10-16-09, 12:53 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
To echo what many have said, if this represents the decline, I can only imagine what the prime was like. I think this group is the most friendly, helpful and civil bunch I've ever seen on the net. Rebukes are delivered mildly and with respect. People really try to help and they respect those less knowledgable than they are. I love this place...and can't imagine it being much better.
Old 10-16-09, 01:01 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'm here almost daily but don't post much.
Mostly I've been doing "admin" type things which are not as much fun as they sound.
I've slowed down a bit on the new (old) bikes and just enjoying the ones that I like.
My taste is refining or should I say redefining itself again, I'm starting to get a serious
jones for italian steel, and the 71 Masi just makes it worse.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-16-09, 02:02 PM
phillyrider
peddling fool

Bikes: Mid 50's Frejus, Late 50's Frejus, Early 1960s Frejus Professional, Mid 1960's Frejus Professional, Early 70's Gloria (branded), 76 Blue Pogliaghi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just to share an observation...There's some repetitiveness in the types of posts and for true experts, I can see how it becomes less interesting over time.

A suggestion to make the forum better would be to have some well known guest experts post (like a first Friday in the month). Examples/Topics:

* A well known frame builder share his thoughts on what make a great period frame, and how does it translate to modern/today frames. What was it like in the day?

* Know collector/seller (Hilary Stone comes to mind as an example) - Special C&V frame/bike, what make's it special, not-so well known builder. etc...

These types of topics are more interesting and may better engage the true experts and folks wanting to learn. Frankly, as a non-expert - I look for these types of posts as unique opportunities to learn.

I think there are some well connected folks on the forum. Guest posters with an expert panel discussion would (in my book) be pretty cool...It takes out some of the repetitiveness.

Just a thought.