Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to Surly Ogre?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Alternatives to Surly Ogre?

Old 05-04-22, 12:57 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Very much aware that this is a resurection of an old thread, but I am interested in the same thing: possible alternatives to the Surly Ogre. The Giant Toughroad springs to mind (outside of the US), as does the VO Piolet (but you have to wait for a production run of new frames). Anyone got any other alternatives? Obviously things have changed since 2015 when the thread was first established.
Old 05-06-22, 04:43 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
Salsa Fargo:

Thanks for this Zombie thread.

I would like to get this bike. And it is steel the last time I checked.

The Surly is an interesting option for me since it's cost is lower.

I really want something with a sloped frame. I dislike leaning. And yes, I am aware I will still lean a bit.

Reaching, and leaning bother my neck, wrists......
Old 05-08-22, 01:02 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker

I really want something with a sloped frame. I dislike leaning. And yes, I am aware I will still lean a bit.

Reaching, and leaning bother my neck, wrists......
If Reaching and leaning are bothering your neck, shoulders and wrists you have two things going on. First the bike isn’t FIT properly to you, and second your posture is wrong. Even with drop bars you shouldn’t be reaching for the bars they should be at a natural distance from the seat with your arms slightly bent and a gentle lean to your upper torso.
Also, there are different geometries of bikes in every class.. and any bike can be turned into a touring/bikepacking bike with the addition of some kind of rack.

Francis Cade- Bike Fit Tuesday’s
Old 05-08-22, 02:40 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Very much aware that this is a resurection of an old thread, but I am interested in the same thing: possible alternatives to the Surly Ogre. The Giant Toughroad springs to mind (outside of the US), as does the VO Piolet (but you have to wait for a production run of new frames). Anyone got any other alternatives? Obviously things have changed since 2015 when the thread was first established.
https://www.bombtrack.com/complete-bikes/beyond-plus

https://konaworld.com/unit_x.cfm
Likes For tyrion:
Old 05-09-22, 04:20 AM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by M Rose
If Reaching and leaning are bothering your neck, shoulders and wrists you have two things going on. First the bike isn’t FIT properly to you, and second your posture is wrong. Even with drop bars you shouldn’t be reaching for the bars they should be at a natural distance from the seat with your arms slightly bent and a gentle lean to your upper torso.
Also, there are different geometries of bikes in every class.. and any bike can be turned into a touring/bikepacking bike with the addition of some kind of rack.
How to avoid Neck Pain

I like Francis Cade and his mate Bike Fit James a lot, very fun and informative videos. But! And there's a big but. They assume people have entirely healthy necks and backs, which is not always the case. Even with the best fit, a road bike may still have an incredibly agressive natural posture for many riders; my chiropracter looked at bike positions like that one in the video thumbnail and told me not to do that. Ever. My back just doesn't want to be leaned that far forward and my doctor was quite adamant that I find a way to ride while sitting basically bolt upright with wildly low gears with which to spin my way up hills; mashing is a definite no-no for me as well. Back and knee issues mean that some bike postures just don't work. Even on an Ogre or Fargo, I'd be using backswept bars, sitting upright like I was riding a Dutch city bike. So while you make a very good point, there are also health considerations to be made for every rider.
Likes For PDKL45:
Old 05-09-22, 08:02 AM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
There are some excellent suggestions listed above. However if your willing to look at steel there are excellent Surly choices available beyond the Ogre. The Cross Check, the Straggler and the Trucker would be on top of my list, each capable bikes that are adaptable and of great quality.

I have owned a couple of Surlys and appreciate how adaptable they are and the quality of the frames.. Buy a frame and tailor the bike to fit by selecting great wheels, group-set, bars, tires, racks, etc..

Have a good trip.,
Likes For N2deep:
Old 05-27-22, 05:19 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by M Rose
How to avoid Neck Pain

That certainly assumes a lot. And a lot when it comes to cost. The money I would have to spend does not make sense for my needs. I do find with my Cannondale F700 from 2000 to work well. But it is not a great bike for distance.
My left knee can't take distance anymore. And that's what I experience the most. And it's not both knees, and my knee is fine otherwise.
Your age can have a lot to do with it. And I am far from heavy. There are things that in my mid 50's I just can't do any longer that I could do when I was 40.

Works fine for my needs.

Last edited by StarBiker; 05-27-22 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 10:28 PM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
That certainly assumes a lot. And a lot when it comes to cost. The money I would have to spend does not make sense for my needs. I do find with my Cannondale F700 from 2000 to work well. But it is not a great bike for distance.
My left knee can't take distance anymore. And that's what I experience the most. And it's not both knees, and my knee is fine otherwise.
Your age can have a lot to do with it. And I am far from heavy. There are things that in my mid 50's I just can't do any longer that I could do when I was 40.

Works fine for my needs.

How is fitting your bike to you not money well spent. It’s free… Justo put the videos to use.
Old 06-01-22, 09:12 PM
StarBiker

Free if you fit yourself. Most places want you to buy, and I am not buying a new bike.

I know I don't want to be reaching and leaning a lot.

Sloped frame with short reach, or a more upright hybrid like the FX 7.3 I have laying around.
Old 06-05-22, 05:34 AM
PDKL45

Anyone seen this? It's the LKLM Musketeers frameset, from the Chinese touring bike maker, LKLM. Looks likda like the old school Ogre frames. Fits 27.5x3.0 as pictured, and I guess 29x2.5 or so.

Old 06-05-22, 05:35 AM
PDKL45

I'm looking harder at the 318, though. Pretty keen to make a touring commuter utility bike out of this frameset.