Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 02:17 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
3x15, except I aborted the second one half way thru because I had to pee really really bad #offseason
Old 10-18-17, 02:33 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Just went down a smith machine rabbit-hole on YouTube; I learned people like to fight about them lol.

Then I found this, and it settles the discussion! (some NSFW language, depending where you work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXnyjDetZi4

"I'm gonna ****ing squat on a smith machine if I ****ing want to!"
Massive guns, questionable bottles of pills in the background, swearing, threatening to kick ass.... In the bodybuilding world that may as well be a PubMed Article.
Old 10-18-17, 05:28 PM
longe

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only 7 months 'til May...****
Old 10-18-17, 07:50 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Still feelin the off season lazy, and still very smokey yesterday but I rode around the city and got in a bunch of jumps, force reps, low cadence spin ups if that's even a thing (like start super low and go as hard as I can for short sprint duration kinda like force reps without the hill), and some 35 rpm at tempo power which makes it feel almost anaerobic. Cant bring myself to get a 2 month long gym membership so that'll have to do.

Also when I felt done I rolled insanely easy the rest of the way home listening to some Norah on my Bluetooth speaker. It was kinda nice except that I discovered how dangerous it is to ride slow and follow rules of the road! Had several drivers attempt to hit me and those would have been avoided if I was weaving through traffic and jumping lights.
Old 10-18-17, 08:38 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Massive guns, questionable bottles of pills in the background, swearing, threatening to kick ass.... In the bodybuilding world that may as well be a PubMed Article.
I call him "coach"

my race videos
Old 10-18-17, 08:39 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
5x12 minutes Sweetspot in a 90 minute workout. Went in thinking it wasn't going to be too bad. Holy ****... Legs were screaming and heart rate was so high. With only 3 minutes rest in between sets I was pushing the HR way higher than it should have been. According to Training peaks I set a new threshold heart rate which is... interesting. Had to turn down the difficulty about 3% to survive the last 1.5 sets.

I came back into training thinking I had under performed in my fitness assessment, but now that I'm doing the workouts some of them are damn hard. They weren't this hard last year when i followed this plan. Maybe I should have eased a bit more into base training..

At least the weightloss is going well.
Old 10-19-17, 08:43 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by longe
Only 7 months 'til May...****
are you going to race next year?
Old 10-19-17, 10:28 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
was originally doing a workout that had 12x2min at 120% (at 312 based on recently updating to 260 ftp), realized through the first 3x2 set how ridiculous that is, settled for doing 6x2 and maybe do a zwift race later or maybe actually go outside for once
Old 10-19-17, 01:15 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I’m also not a fan of the Smith squat. It doesn’t allow me free range of motion, which I prefer.
Old 10-19-17, 02:35 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I’m also not a fan of the Smith squat. It doesn’t allow me free range of motion, which I prefer.
But without a spotter, you're confident doing deep squats at full weight?

my race videos
Old 10-19-17, 07:40 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

New tt bike showed up today. Got it setup, now time to dial in. Anyone want to give some position advice? I know it needs a lot of work..

Was supposed to do a 2 hour sweet spot workout but due to time at work and wanting to ride the tt bike outside I didn't do that. instead opted for 30 minutes of riding the tt bike + some positional stuff on the trainer.

Old 10-19-17, 08:31 PM
mattm
**** that

I'd move the seat back and/or the bars forward a bit if possible.

Then again I've never ridden a TT bike so I have no idea what I'm talking about!

my race videos
Old 10-19-17, 09:41 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
New tt bike showed up today. Got it setup, now time to dial in. Anyone want to give some position advice? I know it needs a lot of work..

Was supposed to do a 2 hour sweet spot workout but due to time at work and wanting to ride the tt bike outside I didn't do that. instead opted for 30 minutes of riding the tt bike + some positional stuff on the trainer.

i'd bet a good bit of money that you would be faster with your pads higher.

hard to tell without testing, so you should!
Old 10-19-17, 10:08 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by tetonrider
i'd bet a good bit of money that you would be faster with your pads higher.

hard to tell without testing, so you should!
I'll be ordering the riser kit for these bars. Was pretty sure I would need to get the sticks even higher before I had the bike in my hands. Looks like it's got a 10mm spacer. I'll get the kit that let's me go up to 30. Don't think I need the 60mm risers.
Old 10-19-17, 10:14 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I'll be ordering the riser kit for these bars. Was pretty sure I would need to get the sticks even higher before I had the bike in my hands. Looks like it's got a 10mm spacer. I'll get the kit that let's me go up to 30. Don't think I need the 60mm risers.
i have a suspicion about what would happen to your CdA by raising the pads (even if you leave the sticks as-is). Be curious to see some after photos to see if I'm right.
Old 10-19-17, 11:30 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
First time since July 2016 that I'm over 70 ctl. That was my groin tear, then my ramp up after that didn't go well either.

Its progress but I still haven't really done any group rides or interval work. I'm just trying to get my body acclimated to volume. The issues in my left leg are getting better but its like 80% and everything else is 100%.

I was going to do either the group ride or hammerfest this weekend but I'm back on call and have to work =\
Old 10-20-17, 05:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Sort of. I build very slowly. My squat PR is just under 2x body weight. At this point, I can hit 1.5x for 8 reps.

If I can’t do 6-8 reps, I’m probably not increasing weight.
Old 10-20-17, 12:12 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
A single spotter doesn't help much with the squat anyway in terms of safety IMO. The position is too awkward and the bar too far away from the spotter to be able to add much lifting power. Two spotters, one on each side of the bar, is ideal. Otherwise, use the rack and set the safeties a little lower than the depth of your squat, and maybe practice bailing on them a couple times. I've failed this way many times with no issues. Or, if doing high bar squats and using bumper plates, learn to dump the bar behind you.

On a related note, I pulled a lower back muscle doing low-bar squats again. This time on the other side of where I usually hurt myself! Coach even told me not to do squats, but I was stubborn and wanted to anyway. It's super frustrating because I don't ever get to the point of my legs or glutes failing me anymore, just my lower back. Thinking I should dedicate some time to doing lots of lower back work to get it up to snuff. Wonder if it'll even out my hip imbalances though, with both sides being screwed up now
Old 10-20-17, 01:05 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Mountain biking this morning before a storm rolled through. Pr'd by like 6 minutes on this hourish climb. nd like 5 minutes on the 30ish minute descent. Amazing what 3 days of drills and hard riding in the desert will do to my mtb skills. Also helps that I fixed the suspension pressure. It felt like I was riding a whole different bike. @tetonrider, you were definitely right. I need to spend some more time playing with the suspension / rebound settings. My bike actually felt fast and comfortable under me today. Still a bit of work to lug the thing up hill

On a different note, I can feel a sinus infection brewing. Been getting weird headaches behind my eyes and double vision/dizziness occasionally when I look at something wrong. Started dosing some antibiotics today, hopefully to get ahead of this. That may mean I have to back down on the training for next week, but I'd rather not get a bad sinus infection that really puts me down like I tend to do about twice a year.
Old 10-20-17, 02:01 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,148 Times in 1,657 Posts
nice ride @Ttoc6! I also rode my MTB before some (rain) this morning, but only for an hour total, and mostly flat except for a few punchy climbs
Old 10-20-17, 02:21 PM
ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Regarding TT position, that hunch in your back looks like it'll be painful on a longer TT.

Agreed maybe move stem out, but I'm no fitter..
Old 10-20-17, 03:17 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ancker
Regarding TT position, that hunch in your back looks like it'll be painful on a longer TT.

Yeah, looks to me like more reach would help flatten the back out, but maybe that's just the way your spine is. Worth a try, though.
Old 10-20-17, 03:22 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
In South Carolina for Hincapie Gran Fondo and I did the Hincapie Ambassador group ride this afternoon.

I got a legitimate 2300 feet of elevation gain.

Tomorrow is 8,000 feet.
Old 10-20-17, 03:26 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow
On a related note, I pulled a lower back muscle doing low-bar squats again. This time on the other side of where I usually hurt myself! Coach even told me not to do squats, but I was stubborn and wanted to anyway. It's super frustrating because I don't ever get to the point of my legs or glutes failing me anymore, just my lower back. Thinking I should dedicate some time to doing lots of lower back work to get it up to snuff. Wonder if it'll even out my hip imbalances though, with both sides being screwed up now
This has always been my limiter with back squats, as well. I'm not sure adding extra back exercises will help all that much, I think a lot of it comes down to morphology and lever lengths. I have a somewhat long torso, and came to the conclusion that low-bar squats aren't for me. I have less issues since switching to high-bar squats which allow me to keep a more upright torso, though I still have to be pretty careful about form.

Another option is iso-lateral exercises like one-legged/split squats which require less total weight since you're working one leg at a time. I like bulgarian split squats using two dumbbells (you can also use a barbell).
Old 10-20-17, 03:58 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by ancker

My back rounds itself out no matter what type of bike I'm on. Although, it is rather extreme right now in this position. I've ordered the riser kits (both, I was already paying shipping from Europe..) to bring the pads/bars up. Hoping that will help it a bit.

Seat can't go much further back, and this stem is a 120mm I think. We'll see! May have to get something really long . As it is, I'm so far outside the bounds of uci legal lol. Good thing I'm not doing uci-permitted races

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.