Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 01:03 PM
Harvey2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New guy here

Hello,

Just wanted to write that over the years I perused this forum, its been a great place to visit and read. Absolutely love the vintage pages. I'm a middle aged (? when did that happen?) family recreation rider. My kids are six and last year they learned to ride. At that point I had the OCR3 and Giant Boulder (won that one). The road bike was a bit difficult for riding with children who stop every three seconds to check out a rock, catarpillar or grasshoopper. I thought the mountain bike would work better but that thing just isn't right for me. So this week I checked out the REI site and saw the GT Aerostream. Seems to be appropiate for dawdling along with my kids as they gain interest in riding so I bought last year's color at a deep discount. Will be picking it up in about a week.

It seems to be a neat family oriented recreational machine. Aluminum frame, steel fork. Fenders, Nexxus three speed internal hud and a Gates belt instead of a chain. Pull back handlebar. It also comes with a rack and panniers. Guess I'll find out if it matches what I need as far as a comfortable riding position when I get it.

Anyone else have a GT Aerostream or Airstream?

Great forum by the way

Harv
Old 01-24-10, 02:27 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

Cool bike (the new 3-speed) by the way!
Old 01-25-10, 04:05 AM
Cyclist0084

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 90 Posts
From one newbie to another...Welcome aboard.

Old 01-25-10, 07:58 AM
Harvey2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you!

Harv
Old 01-25-10, 04:16 PM
atbman

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the clan. Am I right in concluding that you have twins?

Oh boy. Seeing your kids get more skilful, confident and faster on their bikes is great, is fun and can be nerve wracking - but then, you already know this.

Best tip I can offer - stock up with antiseptic wipes and cuddles - the latter to be applied after the former.

Good luck
Old 01-26-10, 02:06 PM
Harvey2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Haha Thanks atbman. Fraternal they are. One likes to go fast, the other not. Typical lol.

Harv
Old 01-26-10, 02:08 PM
Harvey2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Woops, doing this reply thing wierd I think

Thanks HandsomeRyan and IndianRecRider

Harv
Old 02-01-10, 11:44 PM
Ricky in Jersey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
Welcome to the forums.

Cool bike (the new 3-speed) by the way!
I bought a used GT Airstream a couple of years ago from a fellow who had it in his heated garage and used it 2 or 3 times. It was in great shape, and I was lucky enough to get it for $75 bucks. I took it home, and put on a flatter type of handlebar (off an old Trek Navigator) and I love the thing! It has 700 x 40 tires, and a front shock and the bike is a complete joy! It's a 2000 model, so it's nothing like the brand new models, but I believe GT sold a lot of the "stream series" of bikes in the late 90's and early 2000's (Windsteam, Jetstream, Airstream, etc...)
Old 02-02-10, 07:55 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ricky in Jersey
I bought a used GT Airstream a couple of years ago from a fellow who had it in his heated garage and used it 2 or 3 times. It was in great shape, and I was lucky enough to get it for $75 bucks. I took it home, and put on a flatter type of handlebar (off an old Trek Navigator) and I love the thing! It has 700 x 40 tires, and a front shock and the bike is a complete joy! It's a 2000 model, so it's nothing like the brand new models, but I believe GT sold a lot of the "stream series" of bikes in the late 90's and early 2000's (Windsteam, Jetstream, Airstream, etc...)
Nice. I'd love to build up a 3-speed for cruising on but with 5 bikes already living in the dining room of our 900sq ft apartment the wife says no.