Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone ride the Ozaukee Interurban Trail?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-20-10, 11:59 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts

I was looking on Googlemaps and came across the Ozaukee Interurban Trail in Wisconsin. It goes thru Cedarburg and Port Washington. Its a 30 mile trail thats built on an old Interurban rail line.

Cedarburg is a historic town with an old Mill thats been converted to a winery and antique mall. Nice town with several covered bridges in the vicinity.

Anywho, was wondering if anyone on BF had ridden it? Looks like it could be a good one for a C&V ride this summer.

https://www.interurbantrail.us/
Old 02-21-10, 08:21 PM
gbalke

Bikes: (3) 1970's Raleigh Sports, (1) 1968 Robin Hood 3 speed, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1976 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1969 Peugeot UO-18, 1971 Peugeot UO-08, 1980 Giant road bike, 1954 Humber, 1940ish Hercules Popular, 1963 Dunelt, 2007 Trek 3700 mountain bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I grew up in Wisconson and spent time in Cedarburg and Port Washington, but that was twenty years ago. Here in the St. Louis area I ride the Katy Trail, which is basically an old RR line converted to public use; bicycling and hiking. The KT has a crushed limestone base, not paved like the Interurban trail. The KT also crosses the state, east to west, quite a bit longer in length. However, from what I see on the web site, the Interurban Trail looks like a good way to spend a day, start out from Cedarburg and ride to PW for a fish fry. Next time I go back home to visit family, I'll have a reason to take along one of my Raleighs.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited by gbalke; 02-21-10 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-21-10, 09:36 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Part of it goes about a block from us, I used a good chunk of it last year on a bike commute until I got laid off, I've rode it from Donges Bay road to Belgium. The mapped trail route has a couple of options thru Grafton. The freeway overpass is now complete but I haven't been over it yet. Going past Belgium it goes to the Sheboygan county line, basically farmland once past Port.

It would be easy enough to link it to the Milwaukee bike route system, or make a loop going along the lakeshore one direction and going thru Cedarburg in the other direction. In fact you could probably get permission to park at the Fox Point Wheel&Sprocket store as a start/stop point, or just use the Park&Ride on Brown Deer road or where I-43 and hwy-32 intersect. There is also a Park&Ride at the north end of Port, farmland north on the trail, inter-urban land south on the trail from there.

I'll try to watch this thread in case I can help some.
Old 02-21-10, 10:16 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Can't beat Wisconsin for nice long riding routes. In my college days, I used to ride from downtown Milwaukee on the lakefront, through Whitefish Bay and all the way to the northern suburb of Brown Deer, cross over I43 and into Cedarburg to do century loops. No real climbs to speak of, Except for the short steep climb up from the "witch's house" in Whitefish Bay but you can spin your heart out on mostly nice smooth roads at fast speeds with a driving public that are mostly aware of cyclists.
There are some nice riding routes here in the bay area, but I haven't found one to compare to what I used to ride in SE Wisconsin.

Chombi
Old 02-22-10, 07:55 AM
treebound 

Link to their map page since the main page wasn't too phone friendly for me:

https://www.interurbantrail.us/BikeMaps/Maps.htm
Old 02-23-10, 08:51 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
We haven't hit that one yet- but there's a nifty trail from Menomenee Falls through Lannon- That's the old Bugline trail. It's cool riding past the lannon stone quarrys.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-23-10, 08:53 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Originally Posted by big chainring

Cedarburg is a historic town with an old Mill thats been converted to a winery and antique mall. Nice town with several covered bridges in the vicinity.
Don't forget about the Cream and Crepe restaurant in the old mill building... I love that place.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 02-23-10, 10:05 AM
treebound 

The only issues I have with the Bugline is the crushed stone surface and the number of times the trail crosses the main roadway.
Old 02-23-10, 10:21 AM
Harvey2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OMG the Witch's House! Is the yard still as it was twenty five odd years ago? This is part of local lore for any who don't know. I heard the story that her husband and son went out fishing and never returned. Considering how the lake is there, I could believe that.

So much of Wisconsin is pure riding heaven. Back in the day I rode motorcycles. Nothing I've ridden since compares to being up north just before dawn, stopping on a hill and watching the morning sun break the horizon over the lake. Used to do that at the govt pier too.

I grew up in east Waukesha county. (not the city) My family didn't have the money the neighbors had but still, I'm a Brookfield Brat at heart.

Harv
Old 02-23-10, 10:53 AM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Wisconsin DOT Ozaukee map;
https://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/...ikeozaukee.pdf

[/URL]The Tour de Cure routes use part of the Interurban Trail:
https://tour.diabetes.org/site/TR/Tou...ional&sid=1061

Also, Wheel and Sprocket lets cyclists park in their lot for the lakefront loop. They're on Santa Monica just off of N. Lake Dr. in Fox Point. Docters Park just to the north, near the intersection of Brown Deer and N. Lake Dr. is a nice spot to stop.

Last edited by leftthread; 02-23-10 at 10:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old 02-23-10, 10:56 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by Harvey2
OMG the Witch's House! Is the yard still as it was twenty five odd years ago? This is part of local lore for any who don't know. I heard the story that her husband and son went out fishing and never returned. Considering how the lake is there, I could believe that.
Nah... she was an art teacher and artist. IIRC she died a while ago...

I used to go down there when I was in high school (I grew up in West Bend) just because it was on the Violent Femmes' album cover.

Here's a little site about her:

https://www.agilitynut.com/h/nohl.html

Old 02-23-10, 02:40 PM
treebound 

Thanks for the Nohl house link.
Old 03-01-10, 05:44 PM
Harvey2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, thanks for that. And setting me straight on what the real story is.

Wisconsin is a beautiful state.

Harv
Old 03-01-10, 11:28 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
We'll tell you a bit more if you promise not to turn us into Northern Illinois, like Minoqua

I'm mostly familiar with the Southern half. It's smooth paved off road sections and on road sections through quaint touristy towns. It can be busy in nice weather, but mostly in the in-town sections of Mequon, Theinsville, and Cedarburg, but sparse out of town. On a weekend figure on sharing with strollers, bladers, walkers etc. I've never had any problems, but don't expect to play Lance and keep a 25mph pace. County line to Cedarburg for ice cream & back is 15+, just right for my 10 YO. Brown Deer to North of Grafton (I-43) is 20 - 30 RT depending on how much I screw around in towns. Haven't really been past Port Washington.

Parking is available in the office park on Brown Deer Rd across from the Audi? dealer. Otherwise Brown Deer Park is a short ride away. The first stretch from Brown Deer Rd to County Line is a BD rec trail and is now paved. Parking is also available on Mequon Rd at the Mequon Community Center or Piggly Wiggly lot. Cedarburg at the Municipal building lot. You may also park at the tavern on County line rd (Howard's?) in the back, especially if you stop after. This may have changed as it's under new ownership.

There are plans to connect it to Milwaukee county's Oak Leaf trail via the WE Energies ROW on the W side of Brown Deer Park. IIRC it should be paved this season or next. (If they don't spend the money on something else!) https://www.ourbrowndeer.com/page/attractions-1

I highly recommend riding it when Cedarburg is having one of their festivals (strawberry, fall harvest, etc). Park somewhere out of town and ride into town. It keeps you from having to try to find parking and keeps you from buying more artsy fartsy stuff then you can carry. https://www.cedarburgfestivals.org/

Another nice ride is the Eisenbahn trail in Washington County (West Bend). It's paved through W. Bend and then limestone screenings. I believe it'll connect with some other stuff to go all the way to Fond Du Lac/Eden. https://www.co.washington.wi.us/depar...iml?Detail=150

More on "the witch" of Barnett Ln https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Nohl_Art_Environment.
Many a trip up there in the mid seventies with a carful of teens, a 12er, and bag.