Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2007(?) Specialized Allez Elite

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 11-11-22, 02:36 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts

Just acquired a very nice example of this and know nothing about it, other that it appears to my untrained eyes to possibly be some sort of triathalon bike. Not finding a lot of information online. Any good resources out there for older but not vintage Specialized road bikes?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-22, 02:55 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2557 Post(s)
Liked 5,581 Times in 2,897 Posts
Pictures would be helpful

Old 11-11-22, 03:09 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Old 11-11-22, 03:12 PM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by rsbob
Pictures would be helpful
ok, is this enough to go by?
Likes For Miradaman:
Old 11-11-22, 03:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
Just acquired a very nice example of this and know nothing about it, other that it appears to my untrained eyes to possibly be some sort of triathalon bike. Not finding a lot of information online. Any good resources out there for older but not vintage Specialized road bikes?
Thanks in advance.
ok, is this enough to go by?

There are no resources for a 15 year old Specialized road bike, but really no resources for any year's bike if I understand how you use the word 'resources'. What are you looking for though, in terms of resources? Like do you want to know about the components or how to maintain it? If so- neither of those is unique to the bike as they are questions that have universal answers- maintaining that bike is nearly identical to any other road bike from the early 90s thru late 10s.

Your bike is a 2005 model, to be clear.
Its a road bike- you can obviously use it for triathlons, but it is not a tri specific/designed bike.
Its an aluminum frame, carbon fork, and has a 3x9 drivetrain.
https://bikeindex.org/bikes/3670
Old 11-11-22, 04:20 PM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
There are no resources for a 15 year old Specialized road bike, but really no resources for any year's bike if I understand how you use the word 'resources'. What are you looking for though, in terms of resources? Like do you want to know about the components or how to maintain it? If so- neither of those is unique to the bike as they are questions that have universal answers- maintaining that bike is nearly identical to any other road bike from the early 90s thru late 10s.

Your bike is a 2005 model, to be clear.
Its a road bike- you can obviously use it for triathlons, but it is not a tri specific/designed bike.
Its an aluminum frame, carbon fork, and has a 3x9 drivetrain.
https://bikeindex.org/bikes/3670
Just curious about the specs and the frame design. Thanks for correcting the model year and the link.
Old 11-11-22, 04:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Just curious about the specs and the frame design. Thanks for correcting the model year and the link.
It's been 17 years, what's actually on the bike may be different from stock. That's easy enough to determine though since it's in front of you.
The fork had Zertz inserts which were advertised as vibration damping, but really do nothing. The seat tube shape is more aero, for what that's worth.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-11-22, 04:33 PM
Miradaman

It's been 17 years, what's actually on the bike may be different from stock. That's easy enough to determine though since it's in front of you.
The fork had Zertz inserts which were advertised as vibration damping, but really do nothing. The seat tube shape is more aero, for what that's worth.
I was wondering what those weird rubber inserts were. Looks like they're in the seat post too.
Old 11-11-22, 04:34 PM
Miradaman

Also, in terms of components it does look to still be stock.
Old 11-11-22, 05:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I was wondering what those weird rubber inserts were. Looks like they're in the seat post too.
Yup. In later years, the teens, Zertz inserts were on the seatstays and the seatpost had this goofy Adam's apple shape to it to help reduce vibration.
Then suddenly, Zertz disappeared because Specialized moved on to other ways to claim compliance and vibration reduction. Based on internet comments, Zertz had long run its course as a marketing tool.

To be clear, there is no harm in having them. It's not like they slow you down.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-11-22, 06:20 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
The Allez models were designed to be full on race bikes. Alu is sometimes preferred by some riders for short course races, such as Criteriums and circuit races.
The Dims were almost the same (by size) as the Tarmac models. Some small changes for adaptation to aluminum frame.
Geometry Geeks has the 2004 model of your bike in a 56cm size listed _ I expect it's pretty much identical.
Yours is obviously a bit bigger 58 or maybe even 60..
https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/spec...t-triple-2004/
What you're seeing on the seat tube aero flare is trickle down from the earlier Top-O-Line models of the Sworks Tarmac.
Allez was not indented to be a Triath specific bike. But as noted by others; no reason it can't be used for Triath.
The bike, with good tires and components, wheels in good shape; is going to be a quick handling, excellent club racer.
Of course, the motor makes all the difference.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 11-11-22, 07:27 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
It's a nice bike. Ride it. Learn to tune and maintain it. And red!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-11-22, 08:01 PM
Miradaman

Originally Posted by cyclezen
The Allez models were designed to be full on race bikes. Alu is sometimes preferred by some riders for short course races, such as Criteriums and circuit races.
The Dims were almost the same (by size) as the Tarmac models. Some small changes for adaptation to aluminum frame.
Geometry Geeks has the 2004 model of your bike in a 56cm size listed _ I expect it's pretty much identical.
Yours is obviously a bit bigger 58 or maybe even 60..
https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/spec...t-triple-2004/
What you're seeing on the seat tube aero flare is trickle down from the earlier Top-O-Line models of the Sworks Tarmac.
Allez was not indented to be a Triath specific bike. But as noted by others; no reason it can't be used for Triath.
The bike, with good tires and components, wheels in good shape; is going to be a quick handling, excellent club racer.
Of course, the motor makes all the difference.
Ride On
Yuri
Yeah, I knew it was a quality bike and it looks like good fun. Hoping it fits me though, it's gigantic, 58 at least, maybe bigger. I intend to take it for a decent ride and see how it works for me. Hoping it's a keeper. Got it for free from a neighbor who was decluttering his garage.
Old 11-12-22, 06:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
The Allez Elite has generally been Specialized's entry level road bike generally it had decent enough components to give you a little performance gains but nothing exceptionally special. Not a bad bike through most years sometimes they dipped down to Tiagra instead of 105 but in the end a free bike is not a bad deal. Even if it sucked there is nothing real invested in it and you might could just get some money for a nice meal or alcohol or bike parts and the best is you get a nice bike out of it which it seems like you got.

I should clarify when I say entry level I do mean it, I don't just mean the bottom end as some people take it as (not calling anyone out at all). It is a bike that is a good place to start, decent enough to get you going and upgrade if desired but also reasonable enough to ride as is.
Old 11-13-22, 10:20 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I wish I had neighbors like that. Nice bike.