Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day is the best kinda day!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day is the best kinda day!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-23, 06:16 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Ynotnow
Gorgeous bike!
If I had to do it over I would have gotten the etched logos like you, since the decals on the downtube kind of obscure the spiral.
You can just strip the decals. The twist makes sure everyone knows what it is anyway.
Old 01-24-23, 09:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Not my first road bike, but definitely a first in disc brakes on the road, Di2, totally hidden cables/hoses/lines. Oh, and not being a black road bike, that's a first in a long time.
That is a sexy green and the tan side walls look fantastic with it.

Old 01-25-23, 11:03 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
Not my first road bike, but definitely a first in disc brakes on the road, Di2, totally hidden cables/hoses/lines. Oh, and not being a black road bike, that's a first in a long time.
Very nice! Not black bike is key.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-26-23, 10:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Much appreciated!

I'd never actually ridden a road bike before a few weeks ago, and that was just test riding in a parking lot.

I'm so used to it being a necessity on a mountain bike that I didn't stop to think it might not be the case on the road.
t.
For typical scuffs and light scratches with a Ti bike, get a Scotch Brite 7448 pad or two to buff out if it should occur:
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-28-23, 08:59 AM
SSRI

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Great choice on the matching Ti STEM and Seatpost
Likes For SSRI:
Old 01-28-23, 10:23 PM
Ynotnow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts
Got a slight break in the weather, so I was able to take it on a quick 20 mile ride.

It is everything I had hoped for and more.
I actually beat my best time on this route the very first attempt on the new bike, and that's factoring in the cold temps and not being in peak riding shape.

I have been contemplating buying a nice set of carbon wheels, but I can't see how it would possibly make the bike any better.
It is incredibly fast, gets up to speed in an instant, and climbs exceptionally well, so I just can't see it making much difference.

Any carbon wheelset folks want to chime in with their experience?
Old 01-28-23, 11:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Got a slight break in the weather, so I was able to take it on a quick 20 mile ride.

It is everything I had hoped for and more.
I actually beat my best time on this route the very first attempt on the new bike, and that's factoring in the cold temps and not being in peak riding shape.
Congratulations on your new bike. You should be able to beat your prior best time on this route if it was achieved on a mountain bike.

I have been contemplating buying a nice set of carbon wheels, but I can't see how it would possibly make the bike any better.
It is incredibly fast, gets up to speed in an instant, and climbs exceptionally well, so I just can't see it making much difference.

Any carbon wheelset folks want to chime in with their experience?
Boyd Rouleur weigh 800 g front, 960 g rear; not sure if these figures include the weight of tubeless tape or valve stems.

Rouleur Alloy Disc Wheelset – Boyd Cycling

Roval Alpinist CL II (currently on sale) weigh 606 g front, 769 g rear, including tubeless tape and valve stems.

Roval Alpinist CL II | Specialized.com

You should be able to tell a 200 g/wheel difference.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 01-29-23, 09:16 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Personally, I like the neoprene chainstay protectors like this one:

https://planetcyclery.com/lizard-ski...8aAjOhEALw_wcB
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-29-23, 11:03 PM
Ynotnow

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Congratulations on your new bike. You should be able to beat your prior best time on this route if it was achieved on a mountain bike.

Boyd Rouleur weigh 800 g front, 960 g rear; not sure if these figures include the weight of tubeless tape or valve stems.

Rouleur Alloy Disc Wheelset – Boyd Cycling

Roval Alpinist CL II (currently on sale) weigh 606 g front, 769 g rear, including tubeless tape and valve stems.

Roval Alpinist CL II | Specialized.com

You should be able to tell a 200 g/wheel difference.

Not doubting you at all, particularly since I've never road cycled, I just find it hard to wrap my head around 200 grams being noticeable.
That would be like taking a bowel movement before a ride, or losing 7 ounces of body weight would make a difference.

Had to be something else to it besides the weight that I don't understand.
Likes For Ynotnow:
Old 01-30-23, 06:17 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Not doubting you at all, particularly since I've never road cycled, I just find it hard to wrap my head around 200 grams being noticeable.
That would be like taking a bowel movement before a ride, or losing 7 ounces of body weight would make a difference.

Rotational inertia. To be clear, 200g difference in a wheelset will not make you significantly faster, but you will feel faster because you will accelerate up to speed faster. Once up to speed though, weight is weight and 200g is negligible. IOW, if you are expecting to improve your average speed with a 200g lighter wheelset, you will be disappointed.
Old 01-30-23, 10:27 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

As Lombard said below, it is rotational inertia, which I hope you do not experience with your poo while riding or otherwise.

Originally Posted by Lombard
Rotational inertia. To be clear, 200g difference in a wheelset will not make you significantly faster, but you will feel faster because you will accelerate up to speed faster. Once up to speed though, weight is weight and 200g is negligible. IOW, if you are expecting to improve your average speed with a 200g lighter wheelset, you will be disappointed.
First, it is 200 g per wheel, which is definitely noticeable. Second, the rotational inertia does not only affect acceleration, but also the handling of the bike.
Old 01-30-23, 10:45 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

First, it is 200 g per wheel, which is definitely noticeable. Second, the rotational inertia does not only affect acceleration, but also the handling of the bike.
This may be true. Though it is questionable as to whether this would make you significantly faster than losing 400g of static weight on your bike.
Old 01-30-23, 01:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Though it is questionable as to whether this would make you significantly faster than losing 400g of static weight on your bike.
1. I never said it would make Ynotnow any faster.
2. It was not clear whether Ynotnow was asking about making his new bike (a) "any better", or (b) faster only. See below.
3. In addition to rotational inertia, there is also the issue of sprung vs. unsprung mass for handling. Consider a super light weight bike with a solid disc rear wheel vs. a heavier normal bike with lighter wheels, both bikes weighing the same overall; which one would be easier to turn?

Old 01-30-23, 05:11 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

3. In addition to rotational inertia, there is also the issue of sprung vs. unsprung mass for handling. Consider a super light weight bike with a solid disc rear wheel vs. a heavier normal bike with lighter wheels, both bikes weighing the same overall; which one would be easier to turn?
I don't know about easier. They would feel different, but I don't know that one would be easier than the other.
Old 01-30-23, 05:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I don't know about easier. They would feel different, but I don't know that one would be easier than the other.
Sorry, easy to turn is inapt. Maybe "more flickable"?
Old 01-30-23, 05:27 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Sorry, easy to turn is inapt. Maybe "more flickable"?
You mean twitchy? That makes sense.
Old 01-30-23, 05:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

You mean twitchy? That makes sense.
No, I thought twitchy or quick steering was largely down to wheelbase, head tube angle, and front offset (caster)?

I don't know how best to articulate it in road bike terms, but it is a consensus among performance drivers that reducing unsprung weight is advantageous to both acceleration and handling, and the latter is noticeable via a lighter steering feel.
Old 01-30-23, 06:08 PM
Ynotnow

Thanks for the continued input fellas!!!!
Good advice is always appreciated!

The rotational mass thing makes sense now that I think about it, but I'm left wondering if that, in itself, is worth the price of admission.

What do you folks think about a carbon wheelset making climbing easier?
Does the rotational mass thing apply there as well or is it a matter of ounces making a true difference on steep, extended, climbs?
Old 01-30-23, 06:25 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Thanks for the continued input fellas!!!!
Good advice is always appreciated!

The rotational mass thing makes sense now that I think about it, but I'm left wondering if that, in itself, is worth the price of admission.

Does the rotational mass thing apply there as well or is it a matter of ounces making a true difference on steep, extended, climbs?
If you can get up a hill on carbon wheels, you'll get up on aluminum wheels with no problems.

It's all about fractional gains in speed and time. Won't really make anything easier or harder in a noticeable way.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-30-23, 07:06 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Mojo31
If you can get up a hill on carbon wheels, you'll get up on aluminum wheels with no problems.

It's all about fractional gains in speed and time. Won't really make anything easier or harder in a noticeable way.
^^^This.^^^ Furthermore, there are plenty of very light alloy wheels that won't break the bank. And you don't even have to go to ridiculously low spoke counts either:

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...Wheel-Set.html

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...Wheel-Set.html

Since these rims are ultra light, I would recommend going with a 24F/28R spoke count for stiffness.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-30-23, 08:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I just noticed we have the same bike work stand.

No. But it looks cool!

Yes, slightly. Marginal gains.

On truly slow, extended, steep climbs, the wheels are rotating much more slowly, so (of course) there is less rotational inertia. Also, when one is slogging up a steep climb, handling is much less of a concern than when speeding down a descent.
Likes For SoSmellyAir: