Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Report on bike theft in the UK

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Report on bike theft in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 12:35 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You are not evidence; you are an anecdote.

And I'm not the one making a completely unfounded, unsupported assertion -- so it's not my job to do a google search. If the evidence is so easily found, you can provide it. Otherwise you are engaging in mere supposition.
OK , I’ll get back to you with my 200 page thesis. Just give me a year...

Last edited by jfouellette; 01-04-23 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-04-23, 03:15 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by jfouellette
OK , I’ll get back to you with my 200 page thesis. Just give me a year...
What a joke. You told me that I had to merely Google it. But you won’t provide one link?

You can get away with making **** up on the Internet. In real life, it’ll catch up with you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-06-23, 09:09 AM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
The industry could develop a special "dropper" seatpost with an electronic locking device that would prevent movement when it detects the correct radio signal code from a microchip imbedded in the padding of your cycling shorts. When a thief grabs your bike and attempts to ride away, the saddle drops down because it doesn't see the correct chip, causing the hypodermic needle hidden in the seatpost to enter the thief's buttocks, injecting a sufficient quantity of cyanide solution to assure the thief doesn't get far, and has no chance of becoming a repeat offender.

Hint: check the battery in your shorts often.
I really cant see the views expressed in that post causing offense to anyone. Not even the most bleeding-heart liberals.

;-)
Old 01-06-23, 09:17 AM
BBB_Adrift

Bikes: PlanetX Gravel, Spa Ti Endurance, Cannondale Optimo Road, Bianchi Infinito CV, Condor 1997 Steel Road. N+1 applies.

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Here in Japan crime is rare. This isn’t because companies or stores make goods harder to steal, but because the laws against theft are harsh, and are even more harshly enforced. Crime levels are generally low because drugs have never become a social issue in Japan. With no illicit drug use, there is no drug related crime. In America, Europe, and most other places, the overwhelming majority of all crimes, from bicycle theft to murder, are drug related.

The penalties for breaking any law in Japan are severe, and the penalties for breaking anti-drug laws are especially severe. You can literally get more than a month in jail in Japan for stealing a bag of chips, and more than a year if you are caught with a joint. Japanese jails are no joke; discipline is military, cells are poorly heated or air conditioned, the food is bland, and portions are small. Most prisoners are housed solitarily, long-term prisoners must work.

Then there is the criminal justice system itself, which in Japan is especially scary. No phone calls, no lawyer present during questioning, and no bail. You can be held indefinitely without being charged in Japan, and if you are arrested, you will likely remain behind bars until you are exonerated or serve your sentence.

Japan’s system sounds very harsh and unfair. But on the positive side, it keeps society safe and peaceful, and Japan’s incarceration rate is only 37 per 100,000, compared to a regular place like America, where the rate is 629 per 100,000. Then there is the argument that keeping drugs out of society saves countless Japanese from addiction, mental illness, and homelessness, not to mention preventing them from turning to crime.

If you actually arrest criminals and seriously punish crime, there is less crime.
Some interesting views and statements in that post, which I enjoyed reading. Thank you. But:.....

1. As a European, I have a problem correlating "regular place" with "America". I find USA to be quite authoritarian and puritanical (Hangover from the Pilgrim Fathers perhaps?)
2. The US rate of 629/100,000 is generally considered to be one of the highest in the world. I'm sure its a fabrication that 628 of the 629 coincidentally happen to be coloured ;-)

No offense intended. A light-hearted post.

Personally, I think prison is too good for bike thieves. I think that they should be placed in a padded cell and subjected to Celine Dion songs 24/7 for a year.
Old 01-06-23, 09:19 AM
BBB_Adrift

Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
The problem is that professional thieves don’t necessarily ride the bike away. They grab a bike and throw it in a van.
Mere details, my dear chap. The concept is good.
Old 01-20-23, 03:52 PM
EBikeFanatic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Ironically, start selling lower quality, less expensive bicycles.

But seriously, my #1 anti-theft measure is to reduce the value of what can be stolen, to the bare minimum. The only hitch is that I become emotionally attached to my bikes.
or increase security instead?
Old 01-21-23, 10:01 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I thought urban UK was flooded with cameras to deter crime.
Old 01-26-23, 01:24 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The banksters steal billions of dollars each year and take people's homes by fraud but it does not make it into the corporate controlled media. Many people die as a result of the use of stolen handguns and the gun industry has fought any and all safety controls.

One either learns to keep their bike in sight or out of sight or to ride a cheap bike. Touring I keep my bike in sight and I purposely buy either a large SUV or a 6.5 foot bed pickup truck with a camper shell and darkened windows to keep my bikes hidden from view. Many friends would strip down their bikes to a single brake and no front derailleur and paint them some ugly color to make them less desireable to a thief.
Old 01-27-23, 03:34 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Should the industry be doing more if they want to keep selling more quality and expensive bicycles?
I missed the actual question, and the answer is yes. The industry should be automatically registering serial numbers for new bikes sold, and adding them to bikeregister.com.
Once that becomes commonplace, it's much harder to sell a stolen bike (because everyone knows it should be registered and can check the registry) and much easier for bikes to be recovered (because the police can get the contact details of the owner by scanning the code).

For the basic kit at retail it's £13, but I'm sure manufacturers should be able to come to some bulk arrangement for well under half of that which would maybe add £5 to the cost of a new bike. It may be slightly problematic at the bottom end of £150 bikes, but would be nothing for higher end stuff.

Hell, there's no reason the bike register codes couldn't be added at the factory along with the various serial numbers and manufacturing QR codes.
Old 01-27-23, 03:36 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Cars with sophisticated anti-theft systems are defeated with ease. And stealing a bike is so much easier. People concerned about theft should probably place an Air tag under the seat of another clandestine area. If the car industry can’t keep a car from being stolen, what luck would the bike industry have on something that can be easily walked off with?
Most cars now are stolen via the keys; either by breaking into the owners house or using an extender. Some higher end stuff stolen to order is just lifted onto a truck.
Old 01-27-23, 05:54 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I learned 45 years ago that a HD Master Lock and chain was no deterrent to a bike thief.
I never leave my bikes unattended in a public space.
All rides are self-supported.
Restroom breaks? Bike goes in with me.
Old 01-27-23, 06:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
The point being that people who have a bike stolen, are less likely to purchase another expensive one. The extreme situation is that theft turns people away from cycling. In other words why invest in an expensive bike if it risks being stolen or vandalized.
That's what insurance is for. I used to ride with a bike shop owner and one of our riding group had a fairly expensive bike stolen. He claimed on his insurance and ordered a brand-new replacement straight away. It basically created a great excuse for another new bike day! Anyway he seemed pretty happy about it.