Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What you guys do about right pant leg getting chewed up by chainring?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What you guys do about right pant leg getting chewed up by chainring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 06:54 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I loop about a 6 foot piece of string over my right arm and tie one end of the string to my outer pants cuff. The other end of the string is tied to the inner pants cuff. Then when my foot spins through the bottom half of its revolution the string pulls my pants up and clear of the chain.

...I'm thinking this might be a trick question.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 01-18-23, 11:00 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 535 Times in 283 Posts
As usual, I'm amazed at how difficult a simple thing can become. A couple bucks on fleabay gets a pack of six velcro reflecting cuff bands. TabA/SlotB.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 01-18-23, 11:14 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I would connect a string to your left pedal that goes over the top tube that attaches to your right pant leg cuff. Every left pedal downstroke will pull your right leg cuff up and out of the way. Be sure to always dismount to the left. You’re welcome.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-18-23, 05:36 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I would connect a string to your left pedal that goes over the top tube that attaches to your right pant leg cuff. Every left pedal downstroke will pull your right leg cuff up and out of the way. Be sure to always dismount to the left. You’re welcome.
Might ponder that a bit more..it won't work. It raises the pant leg when raising isn't needed.
Old 01-18-23, 05:56 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
On each of my bikes I keep a few Reflective Snap Bands. Usually on the handle bars or seat post. Very easy to use. They are real cheap if ya get them through the ChiCom outlet AliExpress, but I prefer the Euro ones at 17"/43cm. They last a real long time but have a tendency to walk off with human help...

Amazon
Old 01-18-23, 06:28 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
I still have old toeclip straps laying about. They work around your pant leg, or strapping your spare tubular to your seat, or when your frame pump is a bit loose, or......
Likes For big chainring:
Old 01-18-23, 06:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by fishboat
Might ponder that a bit more..it won't work. It raises the pant leg when raising isn't needed.
So busted. Not an engineer. OK tie the string to the top tube and connect to the pant cuff in the top most position. When reaching the maximum downstroke it pulls the cuff up. Ta da!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-18-23, 09:21 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Had these for about half a century now:
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
I forgot about these! I used to have a pair to wear on each leg. Hey, it was the 70's and I had bell bottom pants. You needed one for each pant leg while cruising around on your Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. LOL!!
They still sell them. I got some last year, can't remember where. I now have 4. Why? I don't know. They certainly aren't as fool-proof or convenient as simple velcro straps. But I usually just do the natty sock-stuff.
Old 01-19-23, 08:46 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by juntjoo
I usually use a rubber band. Just wondering if there is a better solution.
I don't wear pants.
Likes For prj71:
Old 01-19-23, 03:11 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I don't wear pants.
Please don't post any pics.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-19-23, 03:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by prj71
I don't wear pants.
I don’t wear underwear!

Old 01-19-23, 07:30 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I don’t wear underwear!
With bike shorts, I hope not.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-21-23, 08:33 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by juntjoo
I usually use a rubber band. Just wondering if there is a better solution.
I used to do that. Seven years ago I woke in an ambulance on the way to the ER with broken bones in my face and a partially flattened helmet, plus various other incidental injuries. I couldn't remember what happened, but much later when I got a look at my bike I saw it was in good(ish) shape but with a bent chainring. My hypothesis is that the rubber band broke and my pant leg got caught and I went over the handlebar. The pants had been cut off me and my wife threw them out so I couldn't verify it, but that's my best guess. My solution is that now I use two rubber bands so that if ever one breaks there's a backup.
Likes For RChung:
Old 01-21-23, 08:51 PM
juntjoo

Bikes: Cannondale Bent 2, Fuji Royale, Mongoose Snare

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
I used to do that. Seven years ago I woke in an ambulance on the way to the ER with broken bones in my face and a partially flattened helmet, plus various other incidental injuries. I couldn't remember what happened, but much later when I got a look at my bike I saw it was in good(ish) shape but with a bent chainring. My hypothesis is that the rubber band broke and my pant leg got caught and I went over the handlebar. The pants had been cut off me and my wife threw them out so I couldn't verify it, but that's my best guess. My solution is that now I use two rubber bands so that if ever one breaks there's a backup.

Wow! Glad you're still with us. Maybe I should use three lol. Currently using this velcro strap.
Old 01-24-23, 04:50 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
There are a Lot of good ideas here. Up 'til now I've been using a very large safety pin. I pull my pant leg tight at the ankle, fold the excess over towards the back, and put in the safety pin just above the heavy sewing at the bottom of the pant leg. When not in use I keep the safety pin on the brake line under the seat. Works.
Likes For shrtdstncrdr:
Old 01-24-23, 10:29 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 827 Posts
My solution is simple.

First, I figure out if the bike will be OK as a 1x or double.

Then I find the most-worn large (typically 48t+, although I've used smaller ones on occasion) chainring in the needed BCD in my Pile O' Rings, say to it in a booming voice "Your time has come", clamp it in a vise, and hacksaw off the worn-out teeth as smoothly as I can (an action which is usually very therapeutic for other life stresses). Then use a file to smooth and even out the edges.

It is then installed in the outboard position on the crank, with the other selected chainring(s) inboard. Note: the then-largest chainring must be smaller than the diameter of the sawed-off one, but these days with my relaxed riding style and readily-available 11-12 tooth small rear cogs it typically isn't an issue. If I think I must have a triple up front, I'll install it outboard of the large chainring using old-school long triple chainring bolts.

An example:

Last edited by RCMoeur; 01-24-23 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 10:33 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
"My pump got caught in my trouser leg."