Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Choosing between 2 bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Choosing between 2 bikes

Old 01-21-23, 09:28 PM
bikaso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Choosing between 2 bikes

hi, i am looking to get a bike for commuting and some road bike. i find 2 bikes and need advice . which one is best between Diamondback Wildwood Bike and TREK FX 7.2?
Old 01-21-23, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Both seem like pretty low end models that are discontinued so none of the above. If you are looking at used bikes I wouldn't pay much more than $20 if in good shape and it fits you.

I would go down to your local shop and test ride some bikes and probably up your budget a bit if you are going to be commuting. If you want a road bike I would really up your budget. Ideally I would look for something with at least 10 speed (as in 1x10 or 2x10) like Shimano Deore or above or Microshift Advent X. If I am buying used I want to know what I am doing and make sure it is in good shape, well maintained and will fit me well.
Old 01-21-23, 11:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
For what you are looking to do, either of these could work perfectly. I used a Trek 7300 that was made in 2003 for commuting and put over 8K miles on it, until I sold it to a kid that needed transportation. As long as these bikes are in good shape and fit, I think either could work for you.

Old 01-21-23, 11:38 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Assuming the condition is relatively equal, go with the one that feels like the best fit.
Old 01-21-23, 11:45 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Assuming the condition is relatively equal, go with the one that feels like the best fit.
Agreed.

But you've listed two bikes. I assume these are both used bikes? Have you looked at them? My very inexperienced advice says fit is first. After fit (assuming they're fairly equal), select the one that's in the best condition.

Also, how urgently do you want to buy? The market for bikes is predicted to get pretty soft in 2023 so there's potential for picking up a better bike for roughly the same money if you can stand to wait.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 01-22-23, 12:05 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by VegasJen
Agreed.

But you've listed two bikes. I assume these are both used bikes? Have you looked at them? My very inexperienced advice says fit is first. After fit (assuming they're fairly equal), select the one that's in the best condition.

Also, how urgently do you want to buy? The market for bikes is predicted to get pretty soft in 2023 so there's potential for picking up a better bike for roughly the same money if you can stand to wait.

This is a good point, the used market is really starting to fall as people that bought during the covid lockdown and not using are looking to unload. you might want to keep an eye out for better bike if one pops up in your price range. I recently sold a 2 yr old Domane for a little less than I wanted, but dude had cash in hand, so I took the deal. Cash in hand is a strong convincer.

Old 01-22-23, 12:21 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Both seem like pretty low end models that are discontinued so none of the above. If you are looking at used bikes I wouldn't pay much more than $20 if in good shape and it fits you.
Hilarious as usual. Keep it up.

Original retail prices of those models: Diamondback, $350; Trek, $550. If in good shape and they fit you, used prices would be more like $150 and $225, respectively. Maybe a bit less in this depressed market.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-22-23, 12:25 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
If both are equal in fit form & function, I'd go FX.
I'm hoping the market goes flat, it'll bring along some firesales & lower the probability of theft for bicycles.
Old 01-22-23, 06:50 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Agreed.

My fairly experienced advice says fit first.
Old 01-22-23, 07:57 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Both seem like pretty low end models that are discontinued so none of the above. If you are looking at used bikes I wouldn't pay much more than $20 if in good shape and it fits you..
LOL
I'm pretty sure you'd hear GFOH from most sellers.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-22-23, 10:27 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
My fairly experienced advice says fit first.

I spent a lot of years riding bikes too tall for me. It was a new world when I started riding bikes that were the right size.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 01-22-23, 06:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Trakhak

Original retail prices of those models: Diamondback, $350; Trek, $550. If in good shape and they fit you, used prices would be more like $150 and $225, respectively. Maybe a bit less in this depressed market.
I wasn't really making any jokes. I would say the $150-250 is very high for those bikes maybe if in like new condition, really good shape but I probably wouldn't want to pay that much for a low end bike that is used in unknown shape. I would say if the bikes were 9 speed Deore $200-250 would make sense that is generally decent enough and found on enough entry level bikes back in the day,
Old 01-22-23, 07:23 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Trek FX 7.2
Old 01-22-23, 07:38 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts

I wasn't really making any jokes. I would say the $150-250 is very high for those bikes maybe if in like new condition, really good shape but I probably wouldn't want to pay that much for a low end bike that is used in unknown shape. I would say if the bikes were 9 speed Deore $200-250 would make sense that is generally decent enough and found on enough entry level bikes back in the day,
Both of you make points pertaining to lower end bikes like these. Those components are not built to last all that long, so a lightly used bike with the components working well would be worth a decent amount while a bike that needs any major components replaced would be worth almost nothing since it would cost about the value of the bike to replace them (parts + labor).
Old 01-22-23, 11:59 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
The Wildwood is a cruiser. Forget it. We really don't know without a year to go by.
Old 01-23-23, 07:23 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Both of you make points pertaining to lower end bikes like these. Those components are not built to last all that long, so a lightly used bike with the components working well would be worth a decent amount while a bike that needs any major components replaced would be worth almost nothing since it would cost about the value of the bike to replace them (parts + labor).
Not a hybrid rider, I take it.

This topic concerning the supposed fragility of less-expensive bike components is a pet peeve of mine. The fact is that, given the light use and limited mileage most hybrids see, the components on those two bikes will likely outlast those on expensive road racing bikes and MTBs that see hard use and high mileage.

Of course, most road bikes and MTBs don't get used any harder than all those high-performance sports cars and lifted pickups you see on the street that look as though they just get driven to the car wash and back. Those bikes would do fine with cheap components, too.

Dirty little secret: thanks to expert marketing and self-indoctrination, many bike enthusiasts don't realize that most components of the affordable brand-name bikes sold in bike shops last far longer than we give them credit for.

Case in point: the Cannondale H300 I've been using for years, for about half my yearly mileage (most of the rest has been on a road-geometry track bike, with additional miles on my road bikes and time-trial bike here and there), was their Acera X-equipped entry-level model in 1995.

Bought it used when it was 20 years old. It's my shopping bike and utility bike. It's also my winter training and year-round rain bike. At nearly 7,000 miles a year on that bike alone, I ride it far more and far harder than most hybrids get ridden (and more than most bike owners rider their road bikes and MTBs, for that matter). I added clipless pedals, a clamp-on aero bar, and fenders and replaced the original riser bar and stem to achieve my preferred riding position; otherwise, it still has its original components. Other than tires, cables, and brake pads, of course.

So, having long since outgrown my bike snobbery phase, I know what I'm talking about when I say either of those two bikes would likely ride well and last a long time with minimal maintenance.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-23-23 at 07:29 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-23-23, 08:24 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Not a hybrid rider, I take it…
So, having long since outgrown my bike snobbery phase, I know what I'm talking about when I say either of those two bikes would likely ride well and last a long time with minimal maintenance.
I spent years as a shop mechanic and also flip bikes on occasion. So while your little anecdote is nice and all, you’re missing a few things.

Some people (like you) take good care of their bikes. Others leave them outside in the backyard to collect rust, which makes components stop working or at least work less. Low end bike owners are more likely to be the latter type.

Low end bikes are harder to adjust, even when brand new. That gives less room for wear and tweaks to make them become unserviceable.

But none of what you said disagrees with me. If the bike has been taken care of, it’s worth a good amount. If it has been neglected, it could be junk by now. This is not to say the components are junk from the factory, but they are lower quality and generally owned by less dedicated riders. I have owned such bikes and they ran fine, albeit with more careful maintenance.

Last edited by urbanknight; 01-23-23 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 09:03 AM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by urbanknight
I spent years as a shop mechanic and also flip bikes on occasion. So while your little anecdote is nice and all, you’re missing a lot of details.

Some people (like you) take good care of their bikes. Others leave them outside in the backyard to collect rust, which makes components stop working or at least work less. Low end bike owners are more likely to be the latter type.

Low end bikes are harder to adjust, even when brand new. That gives less room for wear and tweaks to make them become unserviceable.

But none of what you said disagrees with me. If the bike has been taken care of, it’s worth a good amount. If it has been neglected, it could be junk by now. This is not to say the components are junk from the factory, but they are lower quality and generally owned by less dedicated riders. I have owned such bikes and they ran fine, albeit with more careful maintenance.
I worked as a mechanic in bike shops and managed service departments for many years, too. The components of the bikes in question would not have been particularly difficult to adjust. You should have worked in shops in the '70s and '80s, as I did. Modern hybrids are far easier to assemble and maintain than a Peugeot UO-8, a Motobecane Nomade, or a Gitane Interclub. The difference in the quality of wheels alone is staggering, especially in the uniformity of spoke tension compared to the old days.

You and I, therefore, are both experienced enough to know at a glance that those two bikes look very little used and likely need only minimal attention---maybe only adjustment of the seat height and airing of the tires---to be fine riders. They may need more, of course, but hybrids rarely get the kind of use that would require large outlays of money.

veganbikes, with his quote of $20 each, is clearly still in the throes of the kind of baseless bike snobbery that I suffered from for an embarrassing number of years.

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-23-23 at 09:07 AM.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-23-23, 09:19 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I worked as a mechanic in bike shops and managed service departments for many years, too. The components of the bikes in question would not have been particularly difficult to adjust. You should have worked in shops in the '70s and '80s, as I did. Modern hybrids are far easier to assemble and maintain than a Peugeot UO-8, a Motobecane Nomade, or a Gitane Interclub. The difference in the quality of wheels alone is staggering, especially in the uniformity of spoke tension compared to the old days.

You and I, therefore, are both experienced enough to know at a glance that those two bikes look very little used and likely need only minimal attention---maybe only adjustment of the seat height and airing of the tires---to be fine riders. They may need more, of course, but hybrids rarely get the kind of use that would require large outlays of money.

veganbikes, with his quote of $20 each, is clearly still in the throes of the kind of baseless bike snobbery that I suffered from for an embarrassing number of years.
Just FYI again use the @ symbol before someone's name to mention them so it shows as Trakhak or veganbikes . Otherwise no point in using their name.

We haven't seen the bikes and the condition they are in so saying they just need air in the tires is silly. If you only ride it once a year a mile or so maybe but a low end bike I would certainly want to look at more, My quote of $20 is not snobbery it is a knowing what is on the bikes and them being old and very low initial cost new and if in used shape they are not going to be as valuable. These are not collectibles or a valuable bike and unless the bike is truly in minty condition I wouldn't put it at prices closer to MSRP from years ago. Trying to inflate the value I think is silly maybe I was a little low but an unknown condition low quality to begin with bike is not one I would seek for $100s when there are other bikes out there that have slightly nicer parts in that same price point or a little higher. I occasionally crawl Craigslist and find some slightly more decent bikes for that $200 price point with Alivio or Deore. For a commuter I want a reliable bike.
Old 01-23-23, 10:38 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

You and I, therefore, are both experienced enough to know at a glance that those two bikes look very little used and likely need only minimal attention---maybe only adjustment of the seat height and airing of the tires---to be fine riders.
There’s pics of the bikes? They’re not showing up on my end (work filter?).

But I see your point, and no I didn’t have the joy of working on bikes that long ago.
Old 01-23-23, 10:45 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
This is a good point, the used market is really starting to fall as people that bought during the covid lockdown and not using are looking to unload. you might want to keep an eye out for better bike if one pops up in your price range. I recently sold a 2 yr old Domane for a little less than I wanted, but dude had cash in hand, so I took the deal. Cash in hand is a strong convincer.
of course there are many variables at play - including area/region

but many LBS’s will sell four FX2’s for around $300 (each) before someone is seriously interested in a Domane or similar

inexpensive hybrids sell
Old 01-23-23, 10:51 AM
t2p

This topic concerning the supposed fragility of less-expensive bike components is a pet peeve of mine. The fact is that, given the light use and limited mileage most hybrids see, the components on those two bikes will likely outlast those on expensive road racing bikes and MTBs that see hard use and high mileage.

Dirty little secret: thanks to expert marketing and self-indoctrination, many bike enthusiasts don't realize that most components of the affordable brand-name bikes sold in bike shops last far longer than we give them credit for.

one simple reason : many low end bikes have steel chainrings that go a long time ... ditto for many of the other components ... durable (heavy) wheelsets and tires ... etc

you do realize with the lack of snobbery - or even a significant drop - you could be kicked out of the local roadie clubs ?
Old 01-23-23, 11:36 AM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by t2p
of course there are many variables at play - including area/region

but many LBS’s will sell four FX2’s for around $300 (each) before someone is seriously interested in a Domane or similar

inexpensive hybrids sell

I agree, but I was offering an example that I personally experienced. I have a few friends that are looking to sell some bikes, but do not want to come off the price. They are not stupid expensive or anything, but I think the price they are asking is unreasonable in today's market.

Old 01-23-23, 12:10 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
For a commuter, the ONLY bike I would use is with SA XL dyno drum brake front and SA X-RD3 rear. With chain case, peg pedals and steel rack.
Old 01-23-23, 12:22 PM
Trakhak

Originally Posted by t2p
one simple reason : many low end bikes have steel chainrings that go a long time ... ditto for many of the other components ... durable (heavy) wheelsets and tires ... etc

you do realize with the lack of snobbery - or even a significant drop - you could be kicked out of the local roadie clubs ?
In my experience, roadie club guys are usually snobby (and, let's face it, catty) only about other roadie club guys. They generally don't notice other people on bikes much, if at all.

If you read Bike Forums long enough, it becomes obvious that some non-racers seem to obsess over the racers, though. See all the threads started about Lance wannabees, billboard Lycra, and so on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.