Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Compass tires/Rene Herse vs Panaracer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 04:21 AM
wallHax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

As i have recently discovered, that the tire manufacturer for Ultradynamico tires is Panaracer (Correct me if i an wrong), i was wondering if the same holds true for Rene Herse tires.
Given that they are bananas expensive for the hobby rider, would there be a reason to consider them over my current favourites Panaracer Gravelkings other than curiousity, if they were produced by the same company anyways (i.e. Panaracer)?

KR
WH
Old 01-26-23, 06:15 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
yes Panaracer makes Rene Herse tires but that does not mean they are exactly the same. I personally run both ie Rene Herse RTP and Naches Pass tires and Panaracer Pasela and tservs and can not really tell great difference between them as far as how they feel when riding..looks are obviously different.

Last edited by jadmt; 01-26-23 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-26-23, 06:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Yes.

I have tires from all of those, and they are obviously different. If only looking at tread pattern, one can see that’s true, but there are other construction differences as well, for example, the Herse extralight casing is observably different from the Panaracer Gravelking slick.

As for whether differences make Herse and Ultradynamico worth considering, well, that depends on what kind of cyclist you are. Some cats roll around on department store rubber their whole lives, blissfully ignorant of the possibilities.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-26-23, 07:08 AM
wallHax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fair enough. But would it make a noticeable difference to the curious cyclist? I do run my Panaracers tubeless and the price of admission is steep.
Money no object, yes i defo would run them immediately. However, if i were to run them with inner tubes, would i even benefit from thei "supposedly" supple casing?
Old 01-26-23, 07:16 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by wallHax
Fair enough. But would it make a noticeable difference to the curious cyclist? I do run my Panaracers tubeless and the price of admission is steep.
Money no object, yes i defo would run them immediately. However, if i were to run them with inner tubes, would i even benefit from thei "supposedly" supple casing?
Probably. I wore out a set of RTPs and ran them with tubes. They rolled great, better than anything except a Speed King. When it came time to replace, I put a Race King in front and and a Speed King in back. The Continental tires go on and off easily, while the RTPs were horrible to deal with. YMMV.

Otto
Old 01-26-23, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
In reverse order, until late last year the Compass tires were mostly tube-ful; people trying tubeless reported the sidewalls were too porous, or had to be refilled with sealant shortly after installation. The marketing materials and people who believed them were still full of praise for the casing. So go ahead and try it with a tube (if you decide to try them at all).

I think it's worth asking how sensitive you are to various tires' construction? If the lightest Gravelking feel like the heaviest Schwalbe Marathon to you, you're not likely to notice how nice the Compass tires might be. OTOH if a Gravelking SK is intolerably heavier and slower than the straight Gravelking, then you might appreciate the Compass tires. I won't go so far as to say the difference between tires is all a placebo based on marketing, but riders' expectations seem to factor heavily into their experiences.

Disclaimer: my Barlow Pass pair is still in the box since Christmas, waiting for a chance and some decent weather to ride some gravel.
Old 01-26-23, 09:23 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
In reverse order, until late last year the Compass tires were mostly tube-ful; people trying tubeless reported the sidewalls were too porous, or had to be refilled with sealant shortly after installation. The marketing materials and people who believed them were still full of praise for the casing. So go ahead and try it with a tube (if you decide to try them at all).

I think it's worth asking how sensitive you are to various tires' construction? If the lightest Gravelking feel like the heaviest Schwalbe Marathon to you, you're not likely to notice how nice the Compass tires might be. OTOH if a Gravelking SK is intolerably heavier and slower than the straight Gravelking, then you might appreciate the Compass tires. I won't go so far as to say the difference between tires is all a placebo based on marketing, but riders' expectations seem to factor heavily into their experiences.

Disclaimer: my Barlow Pass pair is still in the box since Christmas, waiting for a chance and some decent weather to ride some gravel.
Good point. all of us are different in our sensitivity levels.
Old 01-26-23, 09:58 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
I cringe and grumble every time I have to replace my Rene Herse tires.
And then I buy them.
Yes, they're that good.

(I run Stampede Pass 700x32, ultralight casing, skinwall, with tubes.)
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 01-26-23, 10:24 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I have Rene Herse tires on all my bikes
Old 01-26-23, 10:29 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I have them on most of my bikes, with no regrets (other that the hole in my wallet).

They are quite open about the fact that Panaracer makes them to the Rene Herse spec.

Other tire manufacturers are beginning to emulate them, so there might be deals to be had.

They are about the same price as better mountain bike tires.
Old 01-26-23, 10:38 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
my Barlow Pass pair is still in the box since Christmas, waiting for a chance and some decent weather to ride some gravel.
My Barlow Pass tires are the narrowest tires I ride on road on my main ride.

(This would be true for my other road bike if they would fit.)
Old 01-26-23, 11:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Yes.

I have tires from all of those, and they are obviously different. If only looking at tread pattern, one can see that’s true, but there are other construction differences as well, for example, the Herse extralight casing is observably different from the Panaracer Gravelking slick.
I've wondered though how much difference between a Rene Herse Cayuse Pass and a Panarace Agilist. Can still get the 2-packs of the Agilists for $78 at Excel
https://www.excelsports.com/panarace...ad-tire-2-pack
Old 01-26-23, 11:57 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I've wondered though how much difference between a Rene Herse Cayuse Pass and a Panarace Agilist. Can still get the 2-packs of the Agilists for $78 at Excel
I bought a pair of those in tan wall when they were on sale somewhere in the $60 range. Still haven't built up the wheels I planned to put them on and almost all of my riding is on the trainer these days, so I haven't worn out any other tires to test them. Still have some old Veloflex Masters for a similar reason (haven't built wheels "worthy" of them - got a couple pairs of really nice hubs waiting for me to buy some rims and lace them up into something special).
Old 01-26-23, 03:38 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 977 Posts

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My Barlow Pass tires are the narrowest tires I ride on road on my main ride.

(This would be true for my other road bike if they would fit.)

Going TL or with Tubes? The biggest thing keeping me from getting a set is a fear of blowoff on hookless rims
Old 01-26-23, 04:54 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Another option is Soma tires, also made by Panaracer. They have sales regularly where you can buy their tires for a good discount. I bought some Soma Supple Vitesse SL tires for something like $25 each. I have never ridden on Rene Hearse tires but I can say those Soma tires were very supple and comfortable indeed.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-26-23, 08:31 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
It wouldn’t behoove either brand for them to be forthcoming about such things, so who knows…beyond the obvious differences in appearance, weight, and size designations.

The 2pk price does seem quite nice for a superlight road tire…if one is running tubes. I don’t, but there’s a TLR version, too, however I’ve had Panaracer Race Evo A tires in the past and was not a fan of those, so I’m a little reticent to go back to the well with Panaracer, but admittedly, that experience was probably 15 years ago, so change is reasonable to expect.
Old 01-26-23, 09:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Panaracer makes a lot of tires for a lot of different companies but not all of them are the same. A company will likely say this is what we want and they make it. Ronnie Romance probably wants a different tire than Jan Heine in some way or another but they both know they want Panaracer quality.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-27-23, 02:01 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,810 Times in 1,534 Posts
Good Quality tires (expensive) are IME the single most effective thing you can buy to improve comfort and handling on a bike.
this is one area where you get what you pay for and should look for sales as there are often deals to be had

here is my experience with 28mm tires, tubes road bike, 230 lb rider, ride at higher tire pressures (i.e 95 psi for gravel kings)

Rene herse: have a pair of the 28mm chinook pass, but have not mounted yet, waiting for new bike these will go on. but comparing to gravel kings, the build is different.

all in 28 mm
Conti gp5000: great tire, super ride and handling. I had really good luck with only one flat in 2000 miles, until I hit metal that sliced through the tread
Vittoria Corsa G+: ok tire, super ride and handling, but i was averaging a flat every 110 miles, so they had to go
Gravel Kings: great tire, surprise to me in that the ride and handling was close to the GP5000. I have these on 2 bikes, one of which I rode in the 2021 Cino......worked really well there also

of course tubular ride better than these

in multiple threads over the last few years, the consensus has been: darn the rene herse/compass tires are expensive, but the do work as well as they are hyped

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-27-23, 03:20 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I used to use them in may different sizes but only in extralight casings. In my testing, if you run heavy butyl tubes, you are wasting your money. For whatever reason the extralegere versions run much better with latex tubes. I stopped running them tubeless due to sloppy fit and blowoff. I don't find them worth the money. There are faster, cheaper, more durable, and longer lasting tires for my application. So, if want to use them with latex tubes? Maybe. $90-96 per tire plus shipping is steep. The casings are so, so supple. Just don't pinch them to check tire pressure, that popping noise of ruptured threads can be unnerving.
Old 01-27-23, 04:22 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Some cats roll around on department store rubber their whole lives, blissfully ignorant of the possibilities.
that description fit a guy in our road group years ago - he rode relatively inexpensive (but durable ?) tires

one weekend we fitted his bike with 23mm Michelin Super Comp HD’s and latex tubes and he thought he had gone to Heaven

he insisted the combination of Campy hubs and the Super Comp’s enabled him to coast uphills lol

Last edited by t2p; 01-27-23 at 04:31 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 01-27-23, 04:28 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Originally Posted by jadmt
yes Panaracer makes Rene Herse tires but that does not mean they are exactly the same. I personally run both ie Rene Herse RTP and Naches Pass tires and Panaracer Pasela and tservs and can not really tell great difference between them as far as how they feel when riding..looks are obviously different.
beside the RH Naches Pass (26”) - what other comparable tires are available ... lightweight 26” tan sidewall ... ?

I have Maxxis DTH on one bike - Panaracer Pasela on another bike ... also have a pair of Schwalbe Billy Bonkers set aside

Last edited by t2p; 01-27-23 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-27-23, 05:25 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by t2p
beside the RH Naches Pass (26”) - what other comparable tires are available ... lightweight 26” tan sidewall ... ?

I have Maxxis DTH on one bike - Panaracer Pasela on another bike ... also have a pair of Schwalbe Billy Bonkers set aside
not sure what you are asking but RH has rat trap passes, Naches Passes and elk passes as well as humptulips ridge.
Old 01-27-23, 07:15 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by jadmt
not sure what you are asking but RH has rat trap passes, Naches Passes and elk passes as well as humptulips ridge.
lightweight 26” relativity smooth - similar to Naches Pass
Old 01-27-23, 07:23 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by t2p
lightweight 26” relativity smooth - similar to Naches Pass
well rat trap pass and elk pass are both smooth and the panaracer pasela and tserv are pretty smooth too.
Old 01-28-23, 05:17 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
I have run both the Panaracer GK Slicks and the Rene Herse Extralights which are supposed to be ooooooh so smooth. I honestly cannot tell the difference other than the Rene Herse tires make my wallet lighter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.