Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

BB washer orientation

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

BB washer orientation

Old 03-13-20, 05:53 PM
cpper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
BB washer orientation

My FSA Comet crankset has two identical washers, on each side of the BB. One side of the washer has a groove along the interior perimeter, as seen in the first pic.
In order to avoid any confusion regarding the orientation of the washers, the is an "outside" label on side 1 of the washer. Now, this doesn't work for me, as I don't understand if they should face the outside of the crankarms(as the washers come with the crankset, not BB), or to face outside of the bike. These are the two sides of the washers:

And here is a pic of the BB, showing the contact surface between the washers and the plastic caps on the drive side and non drive side.

As you can see, the non drive side cap is flat, so I imagine I could install the washer any way. But the drive side cap has a elevated portion that would fit the groove on the washer.

So, how should the washers be installed ? A or B ? Does the "Outside" label make more sense to you ?
Old 03-14-20, 08:56 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
My estimation would be that the one labeled "outside" goes on the outside. The recess along the inside circumference looks like it's meant to mate with a seal on the inside of the crank arm.

It appears that the inner one is optional, depending on the width of the BB shell. If you don't have sizing instructions, I'd try torquing the crank down with just one spacer. If that's too loose, take it apart and add the second one.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 03-14-20 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 09:45 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
B but are you sure you need the washers?
Old 03-15-20, 04:11 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
My estimation would be that the one labeled "outside" goes on the outside. The recess along the inside circumference looks like it's meant to mate with a seal on the inside of the crank arm.

It appears that the inner one is optional, depending on the width of the BB shell. If you don't have sizing instructions, I'd try torquing the crank down with just one spacer. If that's too loose, take it apart and add the second one.
The only thing that would match the groove on the washers is the BB plastic cap on the drive side (shown in the second pic). There is nothing to interface with the groove on the other side of the washers(towards the crankarms).

Originally Posted by tFUnK
B but are you sure you need the washers?
My bike came with the washers installed. But when removing the crank I didn't pay attention to their orientation.
Old 03-15-20, 06:55 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.fullspeedahead.com/en/su...n?category=115
Old 03-15-20, 12:06 PM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, but nothing regarding the washer orientation there.
Old 03-15-20, 05:48 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
My guess- it's a universal washer so if the cap has the elevated inner ring or not the washer will work. Is the groove in the washer deep enough that the inner ring fits completely within the washer? If yes, I would try turning the washer so the side labeled 'outside' is against the outside of the BB, your picture A. Otherwise it looks like you could damage the elevated inner ring. Check for any binding as you slowly ease it all back together.

Last edited by grizzly59; 03-15-20 at 05:53 PM.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 03-16-20, 12:17 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Is the groove in the washer deep enough that the inner ring fits completely within the washer?
The inner ring fits in the washer's groove, but not completely. The ring is like twice as high as the groove's depth.
Old 03-16-20, 11:22 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by cpper
The inner ring fits in the washer's groove, but not completely. The ring is like twice as high as the groove's depth.
Sorry, now I have no idea. It bugs me I can't find any formal instructions. I found this pic, I realize it doesn't answer your Q:

Likes For grizzly59:
Old 03-16-20, 11:44 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This also shows where the washers should be placed, but not how they should be oriented. Regardless, I've emailed FSA. I'll report back.
Old 03-18-20, 10:38 AM
cpper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reply from FSA: The written “outside” they have to be placed outside (picture B). The groove on the washer remains a mistery.
Likes For cpper:
Old 03-20-20, 12:57 AM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Reply from FSA: The written “outside” they have to be placed outside (picture B). The groove on the washer remains a mistery.
But that still doesn't answer the original question, which is exactly about the meaning of "outside". Is it "outside the BB" (towards the crank), or "outside the crank" (towards the BB)?
Old 03-20-20, 06:02 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,034 Posts
The groove on the washer remains a mystery.
Likely that washer is used on multiple models or assemblies, and in your case doesn't matter, but in others it does.