Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

FD Barrel Adjuster Issue (entire thing moves together)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-23, 08:19 AM
mara777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I've tried to research how to remedy this issue, but haven't been able to figure it out.

The barrel adjuster for my FD is very difficult to turn. The black piece (I don't know the name, but it's shown in the photo) turns WITH the adjuster. I have to hold or clamp the black piece to get the adjuster to turn. If I keep moving the adjuster, it loosens up a little (until next time), but still does not turn easily.

Old 05-11-23, 08:24 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 997 Posts
You can try putting a drop of oil in the mechanism, a tiny bit of glue where the cable housing goes in to give the ends traction, or just replace it with one that works right.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-11-23, 08:49 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 265 Posts
This is one of those times it is safe to use household WD40.

Just needs a little lube and love
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-11-23, 08:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Till you replace it or fix it, you can try putting the chain on the big ring then activating the shifter to go to the small ring without moving the cranks. That'll relieve some of the tension on the inner cable that might be helping to make it hard to turn. A ¼ turn can be a lot.

You can also just loosen the pinch bolt and reposition the cable. But that is some trial and error in placement that can be tedious. And maybe even break a strand in the cable and start it fraying if you are one that tightens the pinch bolt like it's holding the rotor blades on your helicopter.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-11-23, 08:59 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The photo looks to show the adjuster being nearly, or completely, run out. If this was on a shop repair I would try to loosen the cable at the anchor bolt, run the adjuster down to its minimum and resecure the cable as I tugged it taught. I also apply a small dab of grease on the adjuster threads. Andy
Old 05-11-23, 10:40 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
those things REQUIRE drag or they will readjust themselves... and it's time to readjust the cable instead of that inline adjuster.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-11-23, 12:28 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by maddog34
those things REQUIRE drag or they will readjust themselves... and it's time to readjust the cable instead of that inline adjuster.
The mechanism drag should be less than the drag on the housing ferrule so you can turn them with one hand.
Old 05-11-23, 12:38 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
Are you using adjusters meant for brakes for the derailleurs? There's a 1mm difference in diameter. You may try putting a layer of tape around the ferrule before seating the ferrule into the adjuster and see if that provides enough friction.
Old 05-11-23, 12:51 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by Kontact
The mechanism drag should be less than the drag on the housing ferrule so you can turn them with one hand.
and all machined parts should be perfect.... hint: nothing is perfect.

did you consider trying to do your "one handed adjustment" with the cable loaded by a derailleur spring's return force?

heck, i'd love to see a vid of this "one hand adjustment" with or without that loading......

Last edited by maddog34; 05-11-23 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 01:34 PM
Kontact 

and all machined parts should be perfect.... hint: nothing is perfect.

did you consider trying to do your "one handed adjustment" with the cable loaded by a derailleur spring's return force?

heck, i'd love to see a vid of this "one hand adjustment" with or without that loading......
Why not just try it yourself next time you're in a bike shop? I've worked on hundreds of these and they function as I stated.
Old 05-11-23, 01:45 PM
maddog34

Why not just try it yourself next time you're in a bike shop? I've worked on hundreds of these and they function as I stated.
i'm in a "bike shop" right now. post that vid soon, ok? make sure it's a similarly short inline adjuster.

Last edited by maddog34; 05-11-23 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-11-23, 01:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Are you using adjusters meant for brakes for the derailleurs? There's a 1mm difference in diameter. You may try putting a layer of tape around the ferrule before seating the ferrule into the adjuster and see if that provides enough friction.
In the casing outer diameter but not the ferule's diameter. Both brake and gear casing ferules are about the same outer diameter at about 5.8mm. The brake ferule will have a thin wall and is usually made of metal. The gear one is usually plastic with a thicker wall. Andy
Old 05-11-23, 10:28 PM
Kontact 

i'm in a "bike shop" right now. post that vid soon, ok? make sure it's a similarly short inline adjuster.
No one cares about your demands. I was a service manager for years, and you dont know what you're talking about.

The black end grips the ferrule by design. End of story.

And that isnt a very short adjuster. Many are 50% shorter than that.
Old 05-11-23, 10:47 PM
Kontact 

Old 05-12-23, 12:35 AM
tFUnK

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
In the casing outer diameter but not the ferule's diameter. Both brake and gear casing ferules are about the same outer diameter at about 5.8mm. The brake ferule will have a thin wall and is usually made of metal. The gear one is usually plastic with a thicker wall. Andy
I have not measured the ferrules but I do know that my standard brake ferrules seat nicely inside my brake cable adjusters, whereas if I put a shifter ferrule in the same barrel adjuster, there is some slight play. Meanwhile, if I tried to put a brake ferrule into a shifter slot on my brifters, it gets stuck, but the plastic shifter ferrule seats nicely but does not get stuck 🤷‍♂️
Old 05-12-23, 12:36 AM
tFUnK

To be fair I've had inline adjuster that were easy to adjust with one hand, and others that required the other hand to hold the non-rotating end in place. Whether this discrepancy is a product of design intent or matter of wear over time, I can't say.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 05-12-23, 02:26 AM
maddog34

you care...
Old 05-12-23, 06:56 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by tFUnK
To be fair I've had inline adjuster that were easy to adjust with one hand, and others that required the other hand to hold the non-rotating end in place. Whether this discrepancy is a product of design intent or matter of wear over time, I can't say.
No one makes a barrel adjuster where you are supposed to hang on to a piece that disappears entirely into the body of the adjuster. The ones that take two hands aren't working right.

The side that recesses has something in it that is supposed to grip the housing ferrule - usually something rubbery. If that recessed part is turning, it is either because the mechanism friction is too great or the ferrule traction too low due to grime or wear. If the mechanism is bottomed out and you keep turning it, that will damage the rubber gripper over time.

There are also barrel adjusters designed to into cable stops or shifter bodies. Same principle - you can see the rubbery grommet on the narrow end that keep them from rotating: