Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

First time racing cat4/5, questions

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 03-02-17, 09:08 AM
Bikeracer123

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Roubaix Ultegra 2014 Cannondale Supersix Black inc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am currently a junior, but where I live they seem to be doing away with juniors which means I Have to race cat5. Next weekend I am racing and it is cat 4/5. I can do pretty well in juniors. Do you think the new guys will still race if their is a bunch of cat 4s? Is it safer than just cat 5?
Old 03-02-17, 09:25 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
It is hard to say anything about the pace or safety but I'd do the race regardless, you need 10 starts to get upgraded to 4 and it'll count towards em!
Old 03-02-17, 07:33 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
If it's a 4/5 field, you'll be racing with both. Sometimes they will combine fields in case of low numbers, but go out and do your best. Most important in 5's is just getting your mass starts. Just finish. Don't crash, watch for sketchy riders... Yada yada. Sure you're used to that from the jr field
Old 03-02-17, 08:26 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
If you can do pretty well in Juniors and there are more than a dozen riders or whatever in your field then you'll be fine in the 5s. Stronger Juniors tend to be pretty good.

If you're getting "top 3" all the time because there are 3 starters in your race then I have no idea how you'll do in a 5 race.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 03-02-17, 09:09 PM
BTSyndrome

Bikes: Cervelo S1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year was my first races as a cat 5.... granted I've been riding for 7+ years, but I have never raced.
Not as many 5's showed because of the mixed field but I found much more enjoyment out of a 4/5 race for 40-45 min (placing in the 10 to 15 range out of 30+ starters),
than driving 2.5 hrs one way for a 20 min cat 5 crit and doing no other races.

Don't even think about it, just go out and race like normal and you wont even realize its diff. than what you normally would do. The races I have done, the Jr's are way better than any of the Cat 5's that are in the race.
Old 03-08-17, 03:00 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread for this.

Is the $70 USAC license fee going to change during the calendar year, ie go up like pre-reg versus day of race entry fees? Could have swore it was a flat $100 or $125 in years past instead of this tiered carnival prizes and glossy frameable knickknacks scheme.
Old 03-08-17, 04:02 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miyata man
Is the $70 USAC license fee going to change during the calendar year, ie go up like pre-reg versus day of race entry fees? Could have swore it was a flat $100 or $125 in years past instead of this tiered carnival prizes and glossy frameable knickknacks scheme.
The basic USAC license fee for an adult is $70 for the calendar year. As you surmise, the new higher tiers are just for raising more money for USAC.
Old 03-08-17, 08:37 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, had a laugh seeing you can upgrade all the way from 5-2 without ever doing a single race if you roll a fondo and buy your ticket to a few clinics a year. Good to see they are catering to certain sensitivities by introducing executive packages.
Old 03-08-17, 09:07 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Thanks, had a laugh seeing you can upgrade all the way from 5-2 without ever doing a single race if you roll a fondo and buy your ticket to a few clinics a year. Good to see they are catering to certain sensitivities by introducing executive packages.
That doesn't sound right. I thought fondos were only for 5 to 4
Old 03-08-17, 09:41 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll just pretend that was what I meant by a fondo. Going to buy a license and quit focusing on the convoluted upgrade paths.
Old 03-13-17, 11:23 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts

Gran Fondos are good for one point for a 5>4 upgrade, with a maximum of 3 of the 10 points coming from Gran Fondos.

You can get up to 5 points from an education clinic, with the points determined by USA Cycling.

But again only 5>4.

Once you're a 4, Clinics and Fondos are worth zero for upgrades.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for..._1_General.pdf
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-13-17, 12:49 PM
aaronmcd

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Gran Fondos are good for one point for a 5>4 upgrade, with a maximum of 3 of the 10 points coming from Gran Fondos.

You can get up to 5 points from an education clinic, with the points determined by USA Cycling.

But again only 5>4.

Once you're a 4, Clinics and Fondos are worth zero for upgrades.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/for..._1_General.pdf
Here in norcal, an early bird clinic gives out half a point to cat 4s. Yeah, half.
Old 03-13-17, 01:16 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Here in norcal, an early bird clinic gives out half a point to cat 4s. Yeah, half.
I missed the rule change that you can get up to 3 points for camps clinics as a 3.

You'd still have to get 17 points from race results to upgrade on points from 4>3.

So to the original point, you can't get to Cat 2, or even Cat 3, by clinics and fondos
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-13-17, 03:31 PM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is a lot of possible variation and money collecting wrapped up in decisions left to regional level officialdom. So yes, I was exaggerating the by the book interpretation knowing the larger issue is still people gaming the system to avoid upgrading. Without ruling out the opposite as almost true for someone truly gifted at following the letter but not the intent of a rule book. Which is a textbook definition of racing.

I could have taken more pains to word the outrageousness in a way that didn't state it as an absolute.
Old 03-13-17, 05:16 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
Executive packages. That's awesome.
Old 03-14-17, 01:14 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
There is a lot of possible variation and money collecting wrapped up in decisions left to regional level officialdom. So yes, I was exaggerating the by the book interpretation knowing the larger issue is still people gaming the system to avoid upgrading. Without ruling out the opposite as almost true for someone truly gifted at following the letter but not the intent of a rule book. Which is a textbook definition of racing.

I could have taken more pains to word the outrageousness in a way that didn't state it as an absolute.
Although people sandbagging is an issue, I don't think the opposite, your assertion that people buy there way to higher category, is true. What would be the point anyway? Have that CAT2 license and get shelled off the back in every race?
Old 03-14-17, 08:22 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started re-reading the Bartali book last night. Put it down a few chapters in where the author explores Mussolini's public persona as an untamed sportsman. A bold aesthete who abstains from all but a few pieces of fruit to fuel his oft photographed bare chested conquests across the gamut of macho pursuits. This in spite of his soft gut and lack of muscular development.

My assertion wasn't past participle. It was an out loud thought such a feat might have now become possible. Joe racer slogging his way through the workday would have no idea, or access to records of, a few guys that never show up on the weekend hold a cat2 license. Everything has a price. Why should you find it unfeasible someone who's self worth is built on increasingly bigger lies and fearful repercussions would have the vanity, neigh audacity, to further corrupt our fair sport?

Satire, like most of what happens only on this site. In other words, the joke had ran it's course and you now ruined it by making me explain the punchline.
Old 03-14-17, 01:34 PM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeracer123
s? Is it safer than just cat 5?
safer?

Cat 5: I have no idea what I'm doing but think bike racing might be fun. I ran/swam/rowed in college, so this can't be that different, right?

Cat 4: I have no idea what I'm doing, but my carbon wheels help me crash at higher speeds. During races, I find it helps to verbalize my every action. Safety of the pack (though I'd call it a peleton) is ensured by yelling "Hold your line!" in every corner. I have seen Breaking Away.
Old 03-14-17, 02:25 PM
aaronmcd

No wonder it took me a year to get out of cat 4. I hadn't yet seen Breaking Away!
Old 03-14-17, 09:17 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
I started re-reading the Bartali book last night. Put it down a few chapters in where the author explores Mussolini's public persona as an untamed sportsman. A bold aesthete who abstains from all but a few pieces of fruit to fuel his oft photographed bare chested conquests across the gamut of macho pursuits. This in spite of his soft gut and lack of muscular development.

My assertion wasn't past participle. It was an out loud thought such a feat might have now become possible. Joe racer slogging his way through the workday would have no idea, or access to records of, a few guys that never show up on the weekend hold a cat2 license. Everything has a price. Why should you find it unfeasible someone who's self worth is built on increasingly bigger lies and fearful repercussions would have the vanity, neigh audacity, to further corrupt our fair sport?

Satire, like most of what happens only on this site. In other words, the joke had ran it's course and you now ruined it by making me explain the punchline.
Maybe you are just not as funny as you think you are, at least in the medium of a forum and impersonal interactions.
Old 03-14-17, 09:31 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
I liked it when you had to earn points to upgrade from 4 to 3 (and so on) - the old 'bootstraps' way of going about it. I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of plebes that didn't have to actually win a few races like I did.

Granted I'm still a 3
Old 03-15-17, 05:49 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TMonk
I liked it when you had to earn points to upgrade from 4 to 3 (and so on) - the old 'bootstraps' way of going about it. I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of plebes that didn't have to actually win a few races like I did.
Confused. Sarcasm? Do you not have to earn points to upgrade any more?
Old 03-15-17, 06:35 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
There are three ways to become a Cat 3:
1. Points
2. 10 Top 10 finishes in fields with at least 30 (may be more)
3. 30 field finishes in races with fields of at least 50

Those have been the rules since I started racing 10 years ago, so I'm not sure to what TMonk is referring. The only change I know of is that points used to expire after 12 months. Now they don't.
Old 03-15-17, 08:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Confused. Sarcasm? Do you not have to earn points to upgrade any more?
Ya, what @topflightpro said. You just have to race enough times basically.
Old 03-15-17, 08:55 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Maybe you are just not as funny as you think you are, at least in the medium of a forum and impersonal interactions.
Satire

Comedy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.