Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy downtube cable stops on friction shifters?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-08, 07:36 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts

Hi, I'm planning to set up my 1980 Woodrup for Mrs. Road Fan to use - she needs index shifting. Plan is to use my Campy drivetrain, an 8-speed Campy wheel, a Racing Triple crank and derailleur set, and a set of early 8-speed brifters on Noodle bars. It will be her first drop bar bike.

So I need to arrange for downtube cable stops, but the frame does not have brazed-on pivots for friction shift levers. I've been riding the bike with SunTour friction shifters in a clamp-on pair. The frame has the little cleat fitting that prevents these shifters from slipping down.

Questions: has anyone put Campy downtube cable stops on any kind of clamped friction shifter mounts? Any problems? Does it work ok?

The frame also has the cable guides brazed on top of the BB, rather than below the BB as Camp's setup guidelines. This works great for Campy friction shifting, but how will it work for indexing? Again, anyone had any problems with this?

You're all gonna want some B4 pictures, right?

Road Fan
Old 12-29-08, 07:42 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Questions: has anyone put Campy downtube cable stops on any kind of clamped friction shifter mounts? Any problems? Does it work ok?
I have Campy downtube cable stops on a couple of bikes that I use with bar-end shifters. I'd think that one issue for the setup you want is inline adjustors to play around with cable tension. But I've never set up brifters, so I don't know for sure.

Neal
Old 12-29-08, 08:45 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I have Campy downtube cable stops on a couple of bikes that I use with bar-end shifters. I'd think that one issue for the setup you want is inline adjustors to play around with cable tension. But I've never set up brifters, so I don't know for sure.

Neal
Thx, Neal. I could use a scavenged Suntour cable stop from a bar-end friction system and add the in-line adjustors, but I'd rather use the Campy's if I can. I don't think the Ergolevers would function any different.
Old 12-29-08, 09:00 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
I used the Shimano adjusters on my Trek 560, mounted to a Suntour clamp on shifter band. It seemd to work just fine, just not like it was made for it. It's 7 speed bar end indexed, and has no shifting issues.,,,,,BD

Old 12-29-08, 09:24 PM
Old Fat Guy
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I think the important thing is to have some sort of cable adjusters to fine tune.