Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Question for Car Lite People.

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Question for Car Lite People.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-10, 10:07 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClimbTheHill
I suppose she can ride on my handlebars on the way back.
And you can carry her through the doorway and feed her grapes.

Why doesn't she ride a bike or get her own damn car? Want to be chivalrous? Let her draft you or pick her up with this once a week:
Old 10-25-10, 12:42 PM
ClimbTheHill

Bikes: Haro V1 Vector

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your tone is demeaning and hostile. I will be happy to discuss my decisions in a civilized manner, but your argumentative approach lacks tact.

Back on Topic.
Here are my choices for transportation. It is my judgement that option 2 is the easiest and most sensible option given my situation. I am open to hearing other opinions as well as supporting arguments. Please refrain from sarcasm and hostility as this is not likely to convince me of your argument.

1) Bicycle - Pros: Fun, doesn't pollute, cheap, and good exercise. Cons: 60+ mile round trip on a bicycle will take at my "Lazy" speed of15 miles per hour, 4 hours. Also, for reasons that I will not go into (it isn't your business), she does not have a bicycle or a car. Also, the logistics of carrying her and her overnight bag in/on a bicycle along busy highways (that is all we have around here) seems a less than pleasant experience.

2) Car - Pros: 60+ miles round trip takes about 1:15. I can easily carry any passengers and luggage. Cons: Expensive, Pollutes, Not Fun.

3) Public Transit: No public transit to the burbs on the weekend. Public transit is setup only for work commutes. So not an option.

4) Walking - Pros: Doesn't pollute, cheap, and good exercise. Cons: 60+ mile round trip walking would take about 30 hours. Considering the weekend is only 48 hours, two round trip walks to the burbs would cost me more than the weekend. This of course excludes, sleeping and eating.

I love my bicycle and ride it as often as it seems practical to me. Unfortunately, (much like the car) the bike is not a Cure-All for all forms of transportation.
Old 10-25-10, 01:09 PM
crazybikerchick

Bikes: Devinci Caribou, Kona Dew Plus, Raleigh Twenty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes carrying passengers (assuming no power-assist) on bicycle works best for short distances, few hills, and the lighter passenger the better (ie small children).

In the pictures posted with the adults on the long john, assuming they aren't disabled I'd much rather pick them up with a tandem bicycle, get some assisted pedalling from them!
Old 10-25-10, 01:13 PM
crazybikerchick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3) Public Transit: No public transit to the burbs on the weekend. Public transit is setup only for work commutes. So not an option.
Does it work to go the burbs Friday after work on transit and return on Monday morning for work? I did that once when spending a weekend in the burbs with friends. At first it did not occur to me that I could make use of work-commute public transit schedules for weekends by going Friday/Monday.
Old 10-25-10, 01:28 PM
ClimbTheHill

Bikes: Haro V1 Vector

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, we partially use the suburban commuter buses. Typically, she will take the bus in on Friday and stays the weekend w/o needing a car. Sunday night is typically when a car is used to take her back home. I have tried to convince her to stay until Monday and take transit back out, but shes won't go for it. Fortunately, she has many other redeeming qualities, so I let this slide. And as long as I have the car, I don't mind driving her there once a week.

I also use the car to do mentoring for a high school robotics team in a different suburb, there is no way I would have time to do this, if I didn't have a car. I have spent A LOT of time looking a bus schedules, combing rides with transit etc., it just doesn't work out because I have to stay later than the buses run.
Old 10-25-10, 01:49 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your tone is demeaning and hostile. I will be happy to discuss my decisions in a civilized manner, but your argumentative approach lacks tact.

Back on Topic.
Here are my choices for transportation. It is my judgement that option 2 is the easiest and most sensible option given my situation. I am open to hearing other opinions as well as supporting arguments. Please refrain from sarcasm and hostility as this is not likely to convince me of your argument.

1) Bicycle - Pros: Fun, doesn't pollute, cheap, and good exercise. Cons: 60+ mile round trip on a bicycle will take at my "Lazy" speed of15 miles per hour, 4 hours. Also, for reasons that I will not go into (it isn't your business), she does not have a bicycle or a car. Also, the logistics of carrying her and her overnight bag in/on a bicycle along busy highways (that is all we have around here) seems a less than pleasant experience.

2) Car - Pros: 60+ miles round trip takes about 1:15. I can easily carry any passengers and luggage. Cons: Expensive, Pollutes, Not Fun.

4) Walking - Pros: Doesn't pollute, cheap, and good exercise. Cons: 60+ mile round trip walking would take about 30 hours. Considering the weekend is only 48 hours, two round trip walks to the burbs would cost me more than the weekend. This of course excludes, sleeping and eating.

I love my bicycle and ride it as often as it seems practical to me. Unfortunately, (much like the car) the bike is not a Cure-All for all forms of transportation.
Sorry, I was out of line, but you seem to think that you have a right to do anything you want no matter who you hurt or what the cost.

I don't think it's at all fair to say the bicycle isn't a cure-all for all forms of transportation. Sure if you insist on living 30 miles from her AND you insist on bringing her back to your place AND she insists on being helpless and immobile, then, yeah, it's going to be unpleasant. It would likewise be unpleasant for you to take the Concord jet twice a week if she insisted on living in England. Or what if she insisted on living in the international space station and you had to take a rocket ship to see her? Would you then conclude that regular rocket pollution is the "only practical option" or would you rightly recognize that you have to redefine your transportation goals?

This isn't sarcasm, I'm just pointing out the fact that if you put yourself in impractical and unrealistic situations and set impractical and unrealistic goals then of course you'll have to choose from impractical and unrealistic solutions. So although it's certainly your "choice" to consider terrestrial destruction as a viable option, how is it any different than if Kim Jong-il of North Korea "chose" to unleash his nuclear arsenal? If your only answer is "because I'm in the majority" then I think you really need to check your moral compass. As it says in the bible "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it."

Personally if I were you I wouldn't be telling me that some of the solutions aren't my business. It's your head that could end up in the guillotine when the younger generation realizes what you've done. Not mine.
Old 10-25-10, 01:59 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazybikerchick
Yes carrying passengers (assuming no power-assist) on bicycle works best for short distances, few hills, and the lighter passenger the better (ie small children).

In the pictures posted with the adults on the long john, assuming they aren't disabled I'd much rather pick them up with a tandem bicycle, get some assisted pedalling from them!
Obviously the most practical solution is simply for each person to have their own bicycle. But you do what you have to do if people are unable to carry their own weight (literally).

However, if they're unwilling to carry their own weight, well, it seems the most popular solution around this forum is to enable that person to rob the breath of life itself from the rest of us by driving a car on their behalf. Makes me nauseous just thinking about it.
Old 10-25-10, 03:45 PM
crazybikerchick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
Obviously the most practical solution is simply for each person to have their own bicycle. But you do what you have to do if people are unable to carry their own weight (literally).

However, if they're unwilling to carry their own weight, well, it seems the most popular solution around this forum is to enable that person to rob the breath of life itself from the rest of us by driving a car on their behalf. Makes me nauseous just thinking about it.
A tandem can solve some of the problems of people that may be unwilling to ride their own bike, or even unable. A tandem can allow for instance for a sighted captain and a visually impaired stoker. The stoker does not have to worry about navigating the bike in traffic as long as he/she is willing to trust the captain. A tandem can also work where there is an inequity in abilities as the stoker is essentially drafting the captain.
Old 10-25-10, 03:47 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I drive one of my cars only once a month, sometimes even less. I leave it on a trickle charge.
Old 10-30-10, 07:56 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
3.5 years on a battery does seem a little low... there may be other issues, perhaps just a freak dead cell.
It depends on where you live. When I lived in the desert, 3 years was considered a long time for a battery and 2 years was common. When the temps get above 100 battery life goes down considerably. Atlanta is hot enough that it might affect battery life to some degree.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-30-10, 08:06 PM
ryan.karr22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a led battery fill it up with distilled water when low and re charge. it will last a long time.
Old 10-31-10, 07:12 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
There multiple ways to transport people without cars. Here is one that is used in Africa we are very spoiled in this country compared to a huge portion of the world's population.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 11-02-10, 09:28 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
It gives a bad name to those of us who choose not to have cars...
Given this post and your others, perhaps you should point the finger in the other direction.
Old 11-04-10, 09:49 AM
ronzorini
Leather and Canvas Fetish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ira B
Anytime I let a motor vehicle sit for more than a few days I disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery although on newer vehicles this may cause problems and you should consult the manual first.
FWIW, you can also buy a cut-off switch to make life a little easier.
https://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-CUTOFF.../dp/B001HSBW74

I use my car once every 2-4 weeks. It sits outside so a float charger is impractical for me. Before I started disconnecting the battery, it would last only 3 years or so. Now it lasts much longer. I also slow charge it every couple of months.
Old 11-04-10, 09:57 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No help to you, but an amusing story....
Prior to getting rid of my car and going officially car light (my wife still has a car), I had a VW Jetta diesel which got 50mpg, and I got over 700 miles on a tank of gas (diesel). I was living in Maine, and not driving much. I took the car out to have the wheels swapped from my summer tires to winter tires, and it was driving very poorly (very atypical for the car which was usually a dream.) The engine sputtering and choking a lot. I brought it in to the mechanic, who found the problem - although it was december, the last time I had filled the tank was in september, and I had 'summer gas' which doesn't flow well in cold weather.
Filled the tank with fresh fuel and the car was fine again.

One of the things that I like about the bicycle over the car is that I can and do perform almost all maintenance myself, I have a much better understanding of what is going on, and feel that I have much more reliable transportation.
Old 11-04-10, 11:18 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I have been car lite for a little more than a year now. I typically use the car once every week or two when I have to go to the suburbs.

How do you maintain your car's battery with such infrequent use? My car battery needs to be replaced and it's only about 3.5 years old.

I know it's weird to ask a car maintenance question in a Car-Free Forum, but I figured someone here would have advice on this.

Thanks
3-4 years is right around the average I've gotten out of my batteries in Texas, all kinds of cars, some driven more frequently than others. The hot weather kills them.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."