Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

bike products that should exist but do not.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

bike products that should exist but do not.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 12:34 PM
Lanovran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxtex
...id like a cycling visor for road helmets. like a golf visor but with the micro brim of a bike hat...
Something new, that might fit the bill (no pun intended): the Bontrager NeoVisor.
Old 08-30-13, 12:34 PM
ImChris

Bikes: Trek Madone, Araya commute

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah. see that giro is a step in the right direction. bern has been with the micro brim idea for awhile but missed the ventilation boat. those ffffrs are hot! im thinking a true road helmet with huuuge vents, but also this small type of brim. i like seeing crossover tech between urban cycling and roadie stuff.
Bontrager just released the Velocis. It's the helmet the RSLT guys were using for the Tour. The medium weighs something like 290 grams and it has an attachment for a visor. It's pretty awesome. I tried one on and it fit great. Local shop says they are coming out soon. Probably be my next purchase come early spring. I too LOVE wearing cycling caps but run into the hot weather head over heating issue. I think this will do the trick.

EDIT: Poster above me linked to the visor. It works specifically with the Velocis the best.

Chris

Last edited by ImChris; 08-30-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-30-13, 12:37 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
also, single speed road/cross hubs with a coaster brake would be cool. i saw some a few years ago but didnt seem like the quality was that great.
Old 08-30-13, 01:05 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I like the fender idea the OP mentioned, fenders are ridiculously fiddly and rickety as currently designed.

I'd like to see:
- OEM power meter options built into top end groups. Hubs and cranks, please. We need to get powermeter manufacturing up to scale.
- Wireless ANT+ electronic shifting. I don't buy the interference idea, this can't be that hard to figure out.
- Helmets with built in blinkys. They probably exist but every helmet should have one.
- Stems with built-in standardized computer mounts. I think someone already offers a super-expensive integral Garmin mount, this should be widely available and cheap. Also, please for the love of God decide on a mount standard.
- Radically non-UCI compliant road frames for people who couldn't care less about UCI rules. We might see some interesting stuff.
- More reflective race fit clothing. Most options have small patches of relflective fabric, I want safety-vest style reflection built into tight clothing. With modern reflective options this could even be done attractively.
They're called "recumbents".
Old 08-30-13, 02:09 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
A gag to prevent the endless din about bike parts on rides....
Old 08-30-13, 08:11 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
- Radically non-UCI compliant road frames for people who couldn't care less about UCI rules. We might see some interesting stuff.
No market. You're underestimating how conformist this bunch is.
Old 08-30-13, 11:02 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
Well, electronic shifting does exist, but how about a memory function on the derailleurs - it would be awesome to save calibrations for different cassettes. Now that I'm running a couple of different wheelsets with different cassettes, I notice how I have to make minor adjustments with each change. It'd be sweet to just push a button and the rear derailleur would adjust automatically.

This. Shouldn't be hard to do either.
Old 09-01-13, 06:51 AM
erief0g

Bikes: 2012 Trek 2.1C Apex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here's a cheesy one just to keep adding to the "why don't we have"...

As I air up my tire to take a mid morning ride I let the presta valve cap fall out of my mouth (my air valve cap holder) and it rolls under some furniture. I think to myself, why isn't there a hard rubber doohickey on my floor pump to quickly pop the cap onto and remove after inflation.

lol.. I know, it's cheesy but it might just have saved me from seeing all that dog hair that's under my cedar chest.... Don't see it.. must ride.. don't see it, must ride.
Old 09-01-13, 07:24 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a little video cam that mounts under the seat and is pointed at the road behind you so that you can see approaching cars on your trip computer or gps display?

Kinda like a high tech mirror with a memory, but without the Fredly shame of displaying a mirror. Also a digital record of how fast you dropped everyone else on the ride.
Old 09-01-13, 07:29 AM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something to keep sweat out of my eyes! Cycling caps work well but hinder vision, especially when in the drops. Sweat Gutr works if your head isn't tilted forward (which it always is on a bike). Do-rags and skull caps work for a while but in hot and humid climates it eventually fails to dissipate all the sweat.

Best thing I've found so far was by accident. A pair of frameless sunglasses. The top edge of the lens touches my eyebrows just right so the sweat runs down the front of the my glasses instead of into my eyes. Of course this hinders vision slightly but it's the best thing I've found.

Has anyone tried rogaine on their eyebrows? Maybe some really bushy eyebrows would work.
Old 09-01-13, 07:38 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Diarrhea gun. No, not a gun that shoots diarrhea, a gun than when shot by makes you crap your pants. Perfect armament against idiot cagers.
Old 09-01-13, 08:46 AM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erief0g

As I air up my tire to take a mid morning ride I let the presta valve cap fall out of my mouth (my air valve cap holder) and it rolls under some furniture. I think to myself, why isn't there a hard rubber doohickey on my floor pump to quickly pop the cap onto and remove after inflation.

lol.. I know, it's cheesy but it might just have saved me from seeing all that dog hair that's under my cedar chest.... Don't see it.. must ride.. don't see it, must ride.
Or just follow the rules and get rid of the cap.
Old 09-01-13, 09:14 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by erief0g

A simple fix...leave the valve cap under the furniture or toss it immediately. It's unnecessary to put it back on the tube.

Originally Posted by Gatorfreak
Something to keep sweat out of my eyes! Cycling caps work well but hinder vision, especially when in the drops. Sweat Gutr works if your head isn't tilted forward (which it always is on a bike). Do-rags and skull caps work for a while but in hot and humid climates it eventually fails to dissipate all the sweat.

Best thing I've found so far was by accident. A pair of frameless sunglasses. The top edge of the lens touches my eyebrows just right so the sweat runs down the front of the my glasses instead of into my eyes. Of course this hinders vision slightly but it's the best thing I've found.

Has anyone tried rogaine on their eyebrows? Maybe some really bushy eyebrows would work.
They make these...there's another version, but everyone says halo is the best. I've never used one.
https://store.haloheadband.com/elasti...FSVxQgodHSkA8A

Old 09-01-13, 09:15 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
i had this problem just a week ago. had a pinch flat, was along trail by a busy road and couldnt find the hole in the tube because it was too loud. for complete frivolity, id like to see patterned sidewalls on tires like skateboard wheels do or the graphic tops on snowboards and skis.
Hold the tube up to your lips (2-3 mm away). An air leak will evaporate moisture, and its easy to detect. Far better than trying to hear a leak.
Old 09-01-13, 09:22 AM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stems and seat posts with batteries. Stem could power Di2 and headlight for night riding. Seat post likewise could power Di2 and tail light.
Old 09-01-13, 09:23 AM
Christobevii3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytrip
How about a little video cam that mounts under the seat and is pointed at the road behind you so that you can see approaching cars on your trip computer or gps display?

Kinda like a high tech mirror with a memory, but without the Fredly shame of displaying a mirror. Also a digital record of how fast you dropped everyone else on the ride.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2012/09/24/...in-production/
Old 09-01-13, 09:29 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Christobevii3
"you can also manually stop the recording if someone buzzes you too closely or pulls some other jack move."

If that wasn't a jack move, officer, I don't know what is.
Old 09-01-13, 09:49 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Cycling jerseys that fit skinny people and aren't so long that they hang past your butt.
Old 09-01-13, 09:58 AM
SlowAndSlower

Bikes: 2010 Scattante CFR, Soma Stanyan, Bruce Gordon R&R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the Op;

Waltz Cycling Caps;

Da Brim;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sku_716_MW_Yellow.jpg (4.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
Old 09-01-13, 10:26 AM
Mike F

Bikes: 2017 Specilized Roubaix, 2012 Scott CR1 Team, Felt Z85

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
Diarrhea gun. No, not a gun that shoots diarrhea, a gun than when shot by makes you crap your pants. Perfect armament against idiot cagers.
I could rule the world if this was my super-power
Old 09-01-13, 10:40 AM
erief0g

Bikes: 2012 Trek 2.1C Apex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see as a new bike I most certainly don't follow all of the rules.. lol... I always liked valve stem caps on schrader valves but I can see not needing them on the presta valves.... hmm, always learning.
Old 09-01-13, 12:39 PM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
They make these...there's another version, but everyone says halo is the best. I've never used one.
https://store.haloheadband.com/elasti...FSVxQgodHSkA8A
Ordered. It's about the only thing I haven't tried yet so I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-01-13, 12:49 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
Some of the ladies I ride with just tuck a chapstick or similar items inside the elastic cuff at the bottom of their shorts, and that seems to work fine. Haven't tried it myself.
I have done the same it moves around. Its not a huge deal just a small add on that i think would be convenient.
Old 09-01-13, 12:54 PM
pdxtex
Portland, OR, USA

Bikes: kona paddywagon, trek 2.1, lemond nevada city, gt zrx

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^my girlfriend sweats buckets when riding and uses a halo. she says
thumbs up.
Old 09-01-13, 01:11 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
An all-in-one energy gel, chamois cream, sunscreen and bearing grease.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.