Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Panaracer Gravel King SK - 35mm

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 06:42 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

My LBS got an advance shipment of these because a person in our club is sponsored by Panaracer. These are the 35mm version of the 40mm tire that has proven to be able to handle the harsh gravel in the flint hills of Kansas. Looking forward to riding them in the Flint Hills over the next few weeks and probably ride DK100 with them.
Old 04-17-16, 08:40 PM
BigC_82

Bikes: 2003 Raleigh M40, 2015 Raleigh RX 2.0, 2017 Kinesis Tripster A/T

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Please keep us posted. I just did my first gravel grinder ride using Clement X'plor USH on some chunky gravel. I want either go to Challenge gravel gridner 38c or panaracer sk gravel king 40c for my future gravel grinders.
Old 04-22-16, 10:46 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Planemaker, any chance of getting an installed width measurement on the SK 35? My CX bike can fit a true 35mm, but not much more. If these are true to width I may be willing to wait for general availability. If not, I might just pick up the 32 now.
Old 04-23-16, 07:37 PM
Planemaker

Originally Posted by Kopsis
@Planemaker, any chance of getting an installed width measurement on the SK 35? My CX bike can fit a true 35mm, but not much more. If these are true to width I may be willing to wait for general availability. If not, I might just pick up the 32 now.
I will measure the width.

FYI - These tires are fast
Old 04-23-16, 09:25 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've got a set of the GK 32s (threaded version)and they measure exactly 32 mm wide on Velocity Dyad rims, which are wide rims.
Old 04-24-16, 07:25 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BigC_82
Please keep us posted. I just did my first gravel grinder ride using Clement X'plor USH on some chunky gravel. I want either go to Challenge gravel gridner 38c or panaracer sk gravel king 40c for my future gravel grinders.
Just got some Challenge gravel grinder 38s. I've gotten to try them on pavement, where I thought the felt plush, and rolled nicely. If the weather cooperates, I hope to get them out on gravel today. The gravel around me is chunky/deep/sandy mix. So, if it rains more, I'll be taking my crappy day bike out instead....that's been the case for at least the past two weeks
Old 05-03-16, 08:42 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I've had a few gravel rides now on the Challenge gravel grinder 38's. Have to say I love the ride. I'm keeping pressure at around 45, they roll very smooth/fast. With the tractors out on the roads a lot now, they have loosened the surface up, and of course the inevitable tractor tire rumble strip to ride on. I've been very pleased with them.
Old 01-27-17, 06:07 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
I will measure the width.

FYI - These tires are fast
Were you able to measure the tires? I'm looking at getting a new set of gravel tires and the 35mm version is one of the ones I'm looking at. Thanks
Old 01-27-17, 09:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Ben, this is a little bit of an old thread but timely nonetheless.

I'm researching a gravel bike and came across a review of the Panaracer Gravel King SK 35 at Gravel Cyclist. JOM had some really nice things to say about the tire including the fact that he thought they were extremely fast.
"On the other hand, the 700c x 35mm version of the Gravelking is a rocket. Over 120 grams lighter, and with a casing that measures at least 38mm on every wheelset I tested them on, they are fast. Just like their bigger brother, they roll fast over just about everything, but with the added advantage of fast acceleration.

An additional surprise was how well they rode across sandy roads. Without doubt, this was the fastest rolling “narrow” tyre I’ve ridden on gravel when sand is present on the surface. I was impressed with their performance. Suffice to say, I like the 700c x 35mm version of the Panaracer Gravelking SK a lot."
So far this is the first tire on my list.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-27-17 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 07:04 AM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tim! I did see it was an old thread but figured it wasn't going to hurt to see. Thanks for the link, definitely give that a read. I'm leaning towards the Kenda Flintridge 35mm because I like the tread pattern a little more but maybe these deserve a second look.
Old 01-30-17, 02:51 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Ben, this is a little bit of an old thread but timely nonetheless.

I'm researching a gravel bike and came across a review of the Panaracer Gravel King SK 35 at Gravel Cyclist. JOM had some really nice things to say about the tire including the fact that he thought they were extremely fast.
"On the other hand, the 700c x 35mm version of the Gravelking is a rocket. Over 120 grams lighter, and with a casing that measures at least 38mm on every wheelset I tested them on, they are fast. Just like their bigger brother, they roll fast over just about everything, but with the added advantage of fast acceleration.

An additional surprise was how well they rode across sandy roads. Without doubt, this was the fastest rolling “narrow” tyre I’ve ridden on gravel when sand is present on the surface. I was impressed with their performance. Suffice to say, I like the 700c x 35mm version of the Panaracer Gravelking SK a lot."
So far this is the first tire on my list.

-Tim-
I'm not surprised that the 35 mm Gravel King SK's measure 38 mm actual.

I got a pair of the 40 mm Gravel King SK's, and they measure 42.5 mm on my rims. Too wide for my bike, so they ended up on my girlfriend's Crockett build. They're sweet tires.

And now I know that the 35 mm SK's will be the perfect size for my bike! Thanks!

FYI, I'm currently riding the 38 mm Challenge Gravel Grinder (Race, 120 tpi) tires on my bike, and they measure about 36 mm actual. That's fine for my bike, but some people might expect them to be a bit wider. They're great tires, fast everywhere but grippy when they need to be.
Old 01-30-17, 06:36 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
I got a pair of the 40 mm Gravel King SK's, and they measure 42.5 mm on my rims. Too wide for my bike, so they ended up on my girlfriend's Crockett build. They're sweet tires.
So the 40's fit on the Crockett pretty well? I was looking at getting the 35's because I wasn't sure the 40's would work on my Boone but may give them a shot after all.
Old 01-30-17, 07:54 PM
Planemaker

The Panaracer is indeed a fast tire on gravel. I ran these tires about 5,000 gravel miles last year. I did go through 3 sets of tires (two tires were ruined with sidewall cuts) but, the price point for these tires is very reasonable.

FYI - I probably change out my tires more often than most but, I like have decent tread when I hit the sand.

One last thing these tires throw a lot of gravel when new so, the person behind you is going to get pelted.

We also have some around here who really like the Schwalbe G One. I've got a set in 35mm I'm going to put on in the next couple of weeks.

The Panaracer's are going on my Hybrid
Old 01-30-17, 08:23 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by af2nr
So the 40's fit on the Crockett pretty well? I was looking at getting the 35's because I wasn't sure the 40's would work on my Boone but may give them a shot after all.
Yeah, the 40 mm (~42 mm actual) Gravel King SK's cleared about 2-3 mm on each side on her 2016 Crockett disc. Seems like enough clearance for dry conditions.
I'd take a picture, but her bike is now wearing some 40 mm (37 mm actual) Hakkapeliitta W240 studs.
Old 01-31-17, 05:33 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the 40 mm (~42 mm actual) Gravel King SK's cleared about 2-3 mm on each side on her 2016 Crockett disc. Seems like enough clearance for dry conditions.
I'd take a picture, but her bike is now wearing some 40 mm (37 mm actual) Hakkapeliitta W240 studs.
Thanks! I may be best to still go with the 35's then to have extra clearance for varied conditions. They will be on Iron Cross wheels which have a decent inner width.
Old 02-22-18, 04:41 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopsis

Same boat. I emailed Panaracer and they said a 32mm tire ought to measure 33-34 mm. I can barely fit a 38 in the chainstays, so I don't know if trying a 35mm GK is worth the risk.
Old 02-22-18, 04:44 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Just some more datapoints.
I have about 2mm clearance on my bike, and my tires rub the frame under hard acceleration. It's wearing into my frame. ISO standard is 6mm. Food for thought.

(Gosh, those W240's are so heavy and slow. Good workout though).
Old 02-23-18, 08:31 AM
Tim_Iowa

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Just some more datapoints.
I have about 2mm clearance on my bike, and my tires rub the frame under hard acceleration. It's wearing into my frame. ISO standard is 6mm. Food for thought.

(Gosh, those W240's are so heavy and slow. Good workout though).
Yep, 2mm is tight for chainstay clearance. The wheel can flex under power, even the axle can creep in horizontal dropouts, and then you have frame rub.

Currently, my Foundry has studded 45Nrth Gravdal tires. They're much lighter and faster than Hakka W240s.

The Gravdals did well (mostly) on a ~30 mile brewery-to-brewery ride a couple weeks ago. There was about .5" of fresh snow on well-plowed roads, and the Gravdals rode great. Then, we went to gravel roads with about 1-2" of snow on them, and the Gravdals simply weren't wide enough. Although I fishtailed a bunch, I always kept forward progress and I only had to walk one hill. It was sketchy, but thankfully it never ceased being fun. I definitely rode back to the start on pavement instead of gravel, though.

I felt that if I took my fat bike (on studded Dillinger 5's) on that brewery ride, I would curse it on every hill and on most of the pavement. I knew I'd get over-heated and sweaty. But, I knew that it would handle all sketchy conditions with glee.
Instead, I chose to ride the much lighter bike that is way easier on the hills, knowing that I'd have to suffer through the sketchy section (~7 miles).
Old 02-24-18, 08:42 PM
24/7biker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigC_82
I didn't like the Challenge Gravel Grinder, it had a flat profile to it which made it roll slow. Switched to the Maxxis Rambler 40mm, even though it's a larger tire it has more of a rounded profile which makes it roll really nice even on pavement.
Old 02-27-18, 10:43 AM
Tim_Iowa

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 24/7biker
I didn't like the Challenge Gravel Grinder, it had a flat profile to it which made it roll slow. Switched to the Maxxis Rambler 40mm, even though it's a larger tire it has more of a rounded profile which makes it roll really nice even on pavement.
Hmm, the Challenge Gravel Grinders never felt slow to me. Is there a chance that you were riding the 60 tpi casing? They make both 60 and 120 tpi.

I will keep an eye out for the Maxxis Rambler; looks like a good candidate.

However, my next tires in line are Compass Barlow Pass (700 x 38 slick) and Compass Steilacoom (700 x 38 knobby). I may start with the knobbies for sloppy spring and then swap in the slicks once the ground dries.
Old 03-03-18, 01:46 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
My frame limits me to about a 35mm tire in the rear, so I bought a 32mm GravelKing SK. Panaracer told me that the 32 would balloon out a bit, so I stuck with that. As it turns out, 32mm is true to size. It was a special order through the LBS, so I can't return it. I asked Panaracer if they would swap it out and I was turned down. That was a waste of money because I alread have a pair of 32mm tires.

So my experience has been that this tire is true to size. I should have bought the 35mm.
Old 03-03-18, 04:58 PM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just spent the afternoon finessing 35mm gravilking SK's onto a Crossrip Elite with fenders - clearance in back is pretty close at the chainstay bridge bolt. They came with an absurd 4-5mm of flashing around the center tread and this hits the bolt and makes a zipper like noise - these things are pretty chunky because of the knobs.

Previous tires were paselas in 38mm and the rear fender was impossible to fit - the paselas measured under 38mm (and tend to be smaller than marked), but were tall on the rim.

With both tires laid flat the 35mm gravelkings are several mm more narrow than the 38mm paselas - they may stretch a bit but that would be a lot.
Old 03-05-18, 07:50 AM
Tim_Iowa

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ph0rk
I just spent the afternoon finessing 35mm gravilking SK's onto a Crossrip Elite with fenders - clearance in back is pretty close at the chainstay bridge bolt. They came with an absurd 4-5mm of flashing around the center tread and this hits the bolt and makes a zipper like noise - these things are pretty chunky because of the knobs.

Previous tires were paselas in 38mm and the rear fender was impossible to fit - the paselas measured under 38mm (and tend to be smaller than marked), but were tall on the rim.

With both tires laid flat the 35mm gravelkings are several mm more narrow than the 38mm paselas - they may stretch a bit but that would be a lot.
LOL on the rubber flashing. I spent an hour cutting the .5" rubber hairs off my brand new Gravdals. They would have worn off eventually, but made a bunch of noise in the mean time.
Old 03-05-18, 10:29 AM
ph0rk

Bikes: A hauler, a commuter, and a steamroller.

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
LOL on the rubber flashing. I spent an hour cutting the .5" rubber hairs off my brand new Gravdals. They would have worn off eventually, but made a bunch of noise in the mean time.
Yeah, it's like a tire mohawk.