Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Anyroad vs. TCX vs. CAADx

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 01:16 PM
ChappyEight
Slave to the King

Bikes: 2014 Kona Jake the Snake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyroad vs. TCX vs. CAADx

Went over to the LBS today and was able to have a look at the 2017 Giant Anyroad, 2017 Giant TCX SLR2, and the Cannondale CAADx Tiagra. Here's my conundrum...

My riding will consist of 85% road/fitness riding (me by myself to get in shape and eventually stay in shape), 10% family riding, and 5% trail riding. The hope would be that by next winter, I might be able to take part in a cross race or two.

So, with that in mind, I cannot for the life of me make a decision on what would be best for my needs. All three bikes felt great when I rode them, and the Anyroad is a couple hundred dollars cheaper. But, I'm concerned that it's not as good of a choice as the other two actual Cx bikes. Again, Cx will not be a primary focus in the near future, or maybe even for 2 years. Does the Anyroad seem like a decent fit for what I'm looking to do or would a true Cx bike like the TCX or CAADx be more appropriate?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 03-09-17, 02:47 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The Giant will be the most relaxed geometry of the three..TCX and CAADx are cx race geometry, so a bit more aggressive.
Any of them would do the things you want, but if you start getting more aggressive on the bike, or wanting to do faster group rides, i'd think the TCX or CAADx would help a bit (not a huge difference, but a difference).

Which one makes you the most excited to ride?
Old 03-09-17, 02:54 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd say for that much road fitness I'd go with the TCX SLR2. I think it has the best component spec and will be the lightest of the 3. Plus it has solid gearing for an actual road ride with a group. About the only thing I would personally change for more road use is put a 50t and have a 50/36, this is what I run all year personally. Just hang on to the 46t chainring if you ever start CX.

The Anyroad is a nice bike I am told but it is just not for me, I've ridden it around and I just do not get on with it. Plus a 10 speed 11-34 is going to have some big jumps for a road bike that I personally did not care for.

The CAADX is also a solid performer, I just hate promax brakes. Working in a shop these brakes are a pain to deal with and the rotors are even worse I think. Those TRP brakes are so nice, I have the Hy/Rd's and a set of Spykes on my commuter. They are also dead simple to setup, just like a hydro, loosen bolts clamp, tighten bolts, profit.

So sum it up, I'd get the TCX SLR2, future proof, solid brakes and lightweight.
Old 03-09-17, 07:13 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you limited to only those bikes? For what you state as your primary focus there are better options out there. I've ridden two of the three you listed, TCX and CAADX, although not in the same configurations. Depending on the tires you put on either of those they can easily do double duty on and off road, as stated above a switch of rings can help but is not completely necessary, especially getting started toward your goals. If you can look at other brands the GT Grade could be a good choice as well as the Specialized Diverge, these would also be less "twitchy" which can be good for general road or gravel riding but can slow you down a little if you get to CX.
Old 03-09-17, 08:00 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Between the TCX and the Anyroad I would pick the TCX especially if you intend on racing cross. It is definitely more aggressive but oddly enough it has more tire/mud clearance than the Anyroad (at least in the rear). Larger tires could make the bike more comfortable.
Old 03-09-17, 08:12 PM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1. Gears: the tcx has great cx gearing, but unless you are really strong, 36-28 is probably going to leave you wanting an easier gear sometimes. The anyroad has the low gear, but larger spaces in between.

2. If you have ridden them and don't know which one you like better, I would suggest some more test riding...the tcx and the anyroad are so different in geometry that I would think one would emerge as the favorite.

3. I also agree that there are some other good bikes that are in-between geometry...not as aggressive as the tcx/caad, but bot as relaxed as the anyroad.
Old 03-09-17, 08:19 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
A couple of thoughts:

1. Gears: the tcx has great cx gearing, but unless you are really strong, 36-28 is probably going to leave you wanting an easier gear sometimes. The anyroad has the low gear, but larger spaces in between.
Good point. OP what's the logistics of having your LBS change the rear cassette to a 32/34 (or 36 if you're feeling frisky)?
Old 03-10-17, 04:00 PM
ChappyEight
Slave to the King

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks to you all for the great feedback. I'm not married to these three choices, they're simply the ones I've ridden so far. DarKris, I could swap a rear cassette myself so that wouldn't be an issue. In all reality, Cx is probably not realistic this year so my hangup really comes down to if I might be able to do it in the future and, if so, would I have the hassle of trying to sell a bike and buy a cross bike (if I go with a Diverge or Anyroad right now).

I ran across a couple used bikes in my area that were intriguing, but not sure how good of a deal they'd be. One is a 2016 CAADx that a guy built with spare parts, frame up (Tiagra cranks, SRAM GX RD, SRAM force shifters, Pro Max Render R discs) for ~$900. The other is a 2014 Kona JTS w/ upgraded parts (FSA SL-K carbon crankset 50/34, Dura Ace shifters/FD/RD, Hayes CX expert brakes) for ~1,300.

Both used offerings are tempting, but I think the CAADx is probably overpriced. The JTS has awesome components but I wonder if they're worth it when a brand new TCX SLR 2 w/ Shim 105 components can be had for $1240?

One more wrench in the equation, my LBS has a 2016 Giant Anyroad Comax on closeout right now for $1,329...

I know at some point I just have to bite the bullet and pick something, but it's tough to pull the trigger. What do you guys think between what i've laid out here?
  • 2016 CAADx (Frankenbike) - $900
  • 2014 Kona JTS (Dura Ace Components) - $1300
  • 2016 Anyroad Comax (Closeout) - $1329
  • 2017 TCX SLR 2 (105 components) - $1240
  • 2017 Anyroad (Tiagra comp) - $1149

Again, I appreciate you all kindly indulging my indecision.
Old 03-11-17, 03:31 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The TCX would probably fit your needs best, with extra tires and or wheels. I have two sets of wheels for my Boone, one for road and one for gravel. Depending on the season I can change the gravel tires to CX if I want, or need to. I find that Giant is hard to beat on price based on what you get for what you pay.
Old 03-12-17, 09:24 PM
ChappyEight
Slave to the King

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all sincerely for your help and advice. Naturally, as life is wont to do, I ended up with none of these three, ha. You may see here: https://www.bikeforums.net/recreation...l#post19436184