Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

SRAM 12 speed chain durability

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-22, 10:45 AM
FrankZych

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How many miles are you getting from a Sram 12 speed chain on a road bike. I already have over 8000 miles and my Park Tool CC4 still shows less than .5 wear. It seems they last a long time when you keep them clean and lubed.
Old 07-28-22, 01:22 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Yes.
Old 07-28-22, 07:52 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I've noticed they last an abnormal long time as well. I had a gravel bike that was set up with force AXS in a 1X configuration. After right at 5000 miles, I decided to switch to a larger chainring. I figured the chain was smoked and I would need a longer chain anyhow, but the chain had very little wear. I didn't trust the chain wear tool, and after holding it next to a brand new chain, there was very little if any wear!
Old 07-28-22, 09:06 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Yeah, isn’t there something about chain stretch gauges not being suitable for SRAM 12spd because of roller size or something, and the correct way to assess being to measure?

I have no idea what I’m talking about here, so I hope I’m mot confusing things…
Old 07-29-22, 09:13 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankZych
How many miles are you getting from a Sram 12 speed chain on a road bike. I already have over 8000 miles and my Park Tool CC4 still shows less than .5 wear. It seems they last a long time when you keep them clean and lubed.
How long is a piece of string? Chain wear results from a number of things including chain quality, maintenance, riding conditions, gear choices, and rider power output. A light spinner who stays on the big ring (and therefore bigger cogs on the cassette), never rides in the rain, doesn't live in a dusty area and does a good job with cleaning and lubing the chain will get much more miles per chain than a powerful masher who stays on the small chain ring, never maintains the chain, and rides in wet and dirty conditions. Throw out the chain tool and measure chain wear with a ruler. Accurate, consistent, easy to do and provides a relevant measure.
Old 07-29-22, 09:22 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
How long is a piece of string? Chain wear results from a number of things including chain quality, maintenance, riding conditions, gear choices, and rider power output. A light spinner who stays on the big ring (and therefore bigger cogs on the cassette), never rides in the rain, doesn't live in a dusty area and does a good job with cleaning and lubing the chain will get much more miles per chain than a powerful masher who stays on the small chain ring, never maintains the chain, and rides in wet and dirty conditions. Throw out the chain tool and measure chain wear with a ruler. Accurate, consistent, easy to do and provides a relevant measure.
What does the size of the cogs that are used have to do with chain wear. Legit curious. I have one bike that I never use the small ring and another bike where I can hardly ever use the big ring. I definitely am not a masher, more of a high cadence type.
Old 07-29-22, 09:33 AM
KerryIrons

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
What does the size of the cogs that are used have to do with chain wear. Legit curious. I have one bike that I never use the small ring and another bike where I can hardly ever use the big ring. I definitely am not a masher, more of a high cadence type.
The force per link on the chain is the total force divided by the number of links engaged. So the force per link is a lot higher on the 12t cassette cog (e.g 34/12 gear) than on the 18t cog (e.g. 50/18 gear). Same gear ratios, but a lot more teeth engaged by the chain in the 50/18 than in the 34/12. Plus in the 34/12 you're pretty cross-chained.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 07-29-22, 10:06 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Thanks for that answer !! I need to change the rear cassette on my Litespeed to match my Trek. I can spin the big ring and still be in the center of the cog.
Old 07-31-22, 02:07 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
AXS chain users often think that their chain has little wear after 5000 miles, then put a new chain on and get new-chain skip because they didn't change soon enough. I alternate the use of several AXS chains per bike, so I'll never get new-chain skip and use each chain longer. With 10 chains in use, it will take a long time to figure out how long they last. I alternate chains about every 600 miles.

The best way to measure true chain elongation or change in pitch is with a 12 inch or longer rule. I have a scrap piece of tape measure with a pin through the 10 inch mark. I can lay the chain out on my work bench and get an accurate full length measurement.

Some chains don't show much elongation even though they have severe roller and side wear. The roller wear can cause new-chain skip.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-31-22 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-31-22, 02:36 PM
KerryIrons

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
AXS chain users often think that their chain has little wear after 5000 miles, then put a new chain on and get new-chain skip because they didn't change soon enough. I alternate the use of several AXS chains per bike, so I'll never get new-chain skip and use each chain longer. With 10 chains in use, it will take a long time to figure out how long they last. I alternate chains about every 600 miles.

The best way to measure true chain elongation or change in pitch is with a 12 inch or longer rule. I have a scrap piece of tape measure with a pin through the 10 inch mark. I can lay the chain out on my work bench and get an accurate full length measurement.

Some chains don't show much elongation even though they have severe roller and side wear. The roller wear can cause new-chain skip.
If "new chain skip" is not too bad, you can often "ride in" the new chain with the old cassette and after a couple of hundred miles, the skip problem will evaporate. Given how hard the materials of chain and cassette cogs are, it is surprising that this can happen so quickly, but I've done it several times.
Old 07-31-22, 03:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Electronic shifting might have something to do with it. Especially if you use full synchro shifting or what ever SRAMS equivalent of that is.