Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shimano Biopace crankset - Schwinn High Sierra

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-02-22, 01:49 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts

Greetings All -
Thinking of changing out the Shimano Biopace crankset on our Schwinn High Sierra.
Reading some news that this was a failed product - and wanting to put on something that would be period correct circa 1987.

Thoughts?

Likes For tjfastback66:
Old 08-02-22, 01:53 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 413 Posts
I've got one like that on a Diamondback. It seems fine to me, hardly noticeable.
Old 08-02-22, 01:57 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
Biopace might suit you—give it a try. See Sheldon.
Old 08-02-22, 01:58 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Failed in the marketplace, but I kind of like the Biopace/Ovaltech chainrings. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/biopace.html
You could just change the chainrings rather than the whole crankset. Check your chain, though--it looks really tight and may not fit with round chainrings.
Likes For gna:
Old 08-02-22, 03:10 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have that same year/model/color, one size smaller, with Biopace, and +1 above, I hardly notice the difference, if at all. I have a few other biopace-equipped bikes (MTBs, hybrids and roadies), at least one Ovaltech, and most recently a Suntour Cycloid from 1987. I can't say I could tell which is which, esp. given all the other differences between the bikes. About the only thing I haven't tried is one of these (I reckon you'd notice a difference with that....).
Old 08-02-22, 05:02 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts
Thanks for the feedback all - I appreciate that very much.
This is the bike for my bride to ride so I think that I will just clean her up and let it be!
All that I did so far is put some Ergon GP1 grips on because she broke her wrist last winter.
Old 08-02-22, 06:48 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
You might want to shift it off of the large/large combination.

I would just keep the original Biopace. The chainrings don't look that worn.
But check the chain wear with the proper tool and if the chain is worn, replace the chain with a new one.

https://www.connexchain.com/en/bike-...ail/connex-808

One instant improvement would be to install new cartridge bearings in those hubs.
Likes For leftthread:
Old 08-03-22, 01:13 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
Since the pictured rings aren't one of the later and rounder (HP, II, SG) variants, only the big ring here is of the "rounder" (3-1/2% shape/radius variation), while the smaller rings are both the "wilder" 8% variation.

So the big ring will offer the smoothest pedaling at higher cadences without the rider perhaps bouncing in the saddle.

A shorter bottom bracket/spindle would allow use of the big ring in more of the freewheel's cogs, the limiting factors on it's reduced length being the chainring's clearance and shifting performance down to the smallest chainring.
Likes For dddd:
Old 08-03-22, 04:47 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
It was just ahead of its time. The oval chainings are getting some traction now with the absolute black chain rings. They work just fine it is inperceivable in my opinion if you don't do any heavy climbing.
Old 08-03-22, 06:58 PM
trucklet
good cheap fun

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 17 Posts
If it feels good, keep it. @dddd is right about the bigger rings. I really liked the 52t Biopace ring I had on my singlespeed, but I also had a shorter Biopace triple on another bike that felt way too eccentric on anything but steep climbs, so I swapped it.
Old 08-03-22, 08:21 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I have an ‘87 High Sierra (mine is yellow though) and one of the first things I did to it was get rid of the Biopace crank and replace it with a Deore FC-MT60, which matches rest of the drivetrain.

I hate Biopace. I’ve had it on at least 4 frames that I can remember. I know lots of people say “it isn’t noticeable” but I absolutely do notice and to me it feels like the oval shape of the rings is oriented wrong.