Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling bib tights

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling bib tights

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 06:16 AM
Bill

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cycling bib tights

Am I in search of the holy grail that doesn't exist? I keep trying to find bib tights (I ride in a lot of cold weather) that truly are snug in the crotch. I find that the ones I have gotten are not snug--I suppose because of the chamois. I am constantly having to adjust myself. And the crotch too often gets stuck on the tip of the saddle. Is this just the way they are? Is it impossible to have a chamois and form-fitting tights? Maybe I am just asking too much.
Old 04-27-20, 07:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
In 40 years of cycling the only bibs that fit the way I like are Assos. They are very expensive unless you find a good sale, which is what I do. If you are on the upper or lower end of the size scale you can get really good deals. I just bought some knickers and they are amazing. Check Competitive Cyclist, Excel, etc.

Last edited by bruce19; 04-27-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-27-20, 07:04 AM
Chubby715

Bikes: Cervelo R5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 17 Posts
Have you tried Castelli winter bib tights? Their sizing tends to run small so you'll need to order two sizes up, but you'll still be snug in the crotch area. I'm 5'7'' and normally wear medium but ended up with size large in Castelli bibs. They're still very tight in the crotch area but the chamois is very minimal so it doesn't feel like you're wearing a diaper.
Old 04-27-20, 08:14 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Why not just get kiddie shorts? Aerotechdesign.com has them. I wear a kids XL.
Old 04-27-20, 09:29 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
+1 for Castelli, I have a couple of pair of their LW winter tights, they're great for everything from mid 50's down to the 20's, snug and don't move at all. As mentioned, Castelli sizes tend to run about a size off, I'm a Medium in most US clothing, but a L in Castelli (and an XL in their race fit jerseys like the Climber's jersey).
Old 04-27-20, 08:02 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
Make sure you’re using the right size. When the chamois is loose like that, it often means you didn’t get a small enough size. Also, make sure you’re hiking the shorts up far enough and that the short legs aren’t dragging the chamois down. I always pull the legs up way past where I know they should go so I can get the chamois snug. Then I move the legs down.

Most of my kits are from Capo. The fit is excellent. My most comfortable kit, however, is an Ale race fit kit I got from one of the US Cont Pro teams.