Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advice on new Bike (Domane vs Gestalt)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-22, 02:01 PM
Nicias

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello,

I am looking to spend between $1000 and $1700 on a new bike. I use my bike for a short (15 minute) daily commute on the road. I live in the US, in a place with lots of wet weather in the winter and it is fairly hilly (but not on my commute). Our roads are not great. I also sometimes take the "long way home" for up to an hour long ride on (mostly paved) bike trails. On weekends I often go for maybe 2 hour rides on the same trails. I will be putting fenders and back rack with panniers on it. I'm currently looking at a Trek Domane Al 3 Disc and a Marin Gestalt 1.

It looks like the Domane might just not be available, but assuming it is, I would appreciate any advice on how to decide between the two bikes, or any other bike I am overlooking.
Old 08-12-22, 04:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
For a 15 minute ride I wouldn't get a road bike. Get a cruiser. It'll already have the fenders and might even come with a cargo rack which you might need if you are indeed going to commute. Road bikes are really endurance bikes and they really are made for longer periods of riding at higher power output. Not for stop and go urban traffic. Now a lot of others are going to say that they do perfectly fine on a road bike, but I suspect they've never really ridden a cruiser that fit them well or perhaps they ride like bat's out of hell in the city traffic.

You can also find some cruiser and other bikes called city bikes that have an IGH hub that might be better for a commuter you might be lugging around in an office or some other place and not have to worry about the DR getting banged up and out of adjustment.

Sure they aren't the sporty and sexy looking pieces of artwork that a road bike is. But you shouldn't really need sporty for a short commute.

Now if you are going to do 1 and 2 hour rides regularly for exercise and enjoyment, then get the Domane or other road bike in addition to something else for your typical 15 minute commute.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-12-22 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-12-22, 04:59 PM
J_Chickles

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
go for the Marin Gestalt -- you said the roads were "mostly paved" not 100% paved. It also sounds like youre not worried about breaking any speed records but want a capable machine --- this almost screams Gestalt although you need to go up to the Gestalt 2.5 model to get hydraulic brakes it looks like
Old 08-15-22, 02:39 PM
Nicias

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the advice. I know that either is overkill for my commute, but I do want something fun to take the long way home with.

A follow up question. My LBS sized me for a 52 Domane. Does that mean that I would want a 52 Gestalt? I'm a little taller than the Marin size chat says for a 52 Gestalt (I am 5'8", 172cm) but I have a longer than average torso. The place I am buying the Gestalt from doesn't have great service, so I don't particularly trust their sizing. My LBS does, but they don't carry Marin.

Thanks again!
Old 08-17-22, 11:20 PM
jema123

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nicias
Thanks for the advice. I know that either is overkill for my commute, but I do want something fun to take the long way home with.

A follow up question. My LBS sized me for a 52 Domane. Does that mean that I would want a 52 Gestalt? I'm a little taller than the Marin size chat says for a 52 Gestalt (I am 5'8", 172cm) but I have a longer than average torso. The place I am buying the Gestalt from doesn't have great service, so I don't particularly trust their sizing. My LBS does, but they don't carry Marin.

Thanks again!
You should not have a 52 Domane. I am 5'5" and I have a 52 Domane AL5. The seat is up rather high for me. At 5'8" this seems rather small for you. Different brands of bikes have differenet sizing. You would want to check Gestalt's sizing chart.
Old 08-18-22, 05:58 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts

Thanks again!
At your height, even with a longer torso, I would think you would be better off on a 54 rather than a 52 on the Domane, and likely the same on the Gestalt. I'm always hesitant to trust a quick sizing by a bike shop employee as most aren't actual bike fitters and may push you toward a size they have available in the bike you want rather than the correct size. Also, it sounds like you weren't particularly set on the Gestalt initially, so if you can find something that works for your needs from the local bike shop that has good service, I'd lean toward giving them your business now and for service needs in the future. Just something to think about.
Old 08-18-22, 06:59 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
The Domane seems like a good choice. An endurance frame that should be comfy and should allow you to enjoy longer rides on weekend.

My commuter is a gravel bike. If I only had 1 bike, I'd either keep the gravel bike only and ride 2 set of wheels or I would by an AR (all road) bike.

Have you consider the Giant Contend? It would give you more bang for your buck for sure.
Old 08-19-22, 04:07 PM
Nicias

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies! To clarify, I have two bike stores, one is independent and carries several brands, the other just got bought by Trek and is more knowledgeable in my experience. The trek place sized me for the 52 Domane, it wasn’t a super fancy thing but she did get me up on a bike and adjusted it. The Domane isn’t in stock in that size (or 54) so I couldn’t try it out. Getting one would be a month or two.

The other place has the Gestalt in stock in 54. I took it out for a ride and it was good, but I think it might be a bit big. Standing over it the top tube was very “intimate. If I was wearing normal shoes I don’t think I could straddle it. I’m leaning towards the 52. I think I might try to talk the store into ordering the 52 and letting me try both. (I’ll offer to pay the $70 to ship the 52)

Am I thinking about this wrong?
Old 08-19-22, 04:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Geometry of the bikes in reach, stack and seat tube angle are similar for the respective sizes. Your comfort differences might be minor between the two different brands and the 54 you tried in the Gestalt similar to a 54 in a Domane. Likewise the 52 in the Domane you tried will probably be about like the 52 in the Gestalt.

Sure there may be some differences because of other minor stuff. But color or something else that makes one bike look more aesthetically pleasing is probably going to be your tie breaker.
Old 08-19-22, 08:22 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! To clarify, I have two bike stores, one is independent and carries several brands, the other just got bought by Trek and is more knowledgeable in my experience. The trek place sized me for the 52 Domane, it wasn’t a super fancy thing but she did get me up on a bike and adjusted it. The Domane isn’t in stock in that size (or 54) so I couldn’t try it out. Getting one would be a month or two.

The other place has the Gestalt in stock in 54. I took it out for a ride and it was good, but I think it might be a bit big. Standing over it the top tube was very “intimate. If I was wearing normal shoes I don’t think I could straddle it. I’m leaning towards the 52. I think I might try to talk the store into ordering the 52 and letting me try both. (I’ll offer to pay the $70 to ship the 52)

Am I thinking about this wrong?
No, you are absolutely correct. Your true inseam length (i.e., measured, not pants inseam) is a bigger factor than your overall height on frame size. You do not want intimate contact between you and the top tube of your bike, which would be painful during abrupt dismounts. I am 5'-10" and both of my (Cannondale) road bikes are size 54, while my (Trek) hybrid is size 56 and slightly big. When between two frame sizes, go for the smaller one.

Comparing size 52, both the Domane AL 3 (735 mm) and the Marin Gestalt 2 (732 mm) have similar standover heights.

Domane AL 3 Disc | Trek Bikes

Marin Bikes | Gestalt 2

Likewise, comparing size 54, both the Domane AL 3 (754 mm) and the Marin Gestalt 2 (751 mm) have similar standover heights. In both cases, the Domane AL 3 has a slightly bigger number. So if the Marin Gestalt 2 in size 54 feels too big for you, the Domane AL 3 in size 54 will likely also be too big for you.
Old 09-05-22, 03:08 PM
Nicias

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting the Gestalt 1 at 52, and it fits great!
Likes For Nicias:
Old 09-05-22, 03:23 PM
mawn

Bikes: Ridley

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting the Gestalt 1 at 52, and it fits great!
Share some pics!!!
Old 09-05-22, 04:22 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
ribbit... ignore... LOL!
PICS !!!
Old 09-15-22, 10:02 AM