Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

carbon fiber weave - finish

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 08:23 PM
miater

Bikes: cervelo dual, lemond tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So what's with the weave look to carbon fiber finishes on seat and chain stays made of CF. ?
Is that to show us how the carbon fiber is made? Because it really doesn't look like that does it?
I've got some chips in my seat stay that are pretty ugly, and because of that weave look to the finish, using touch up paint really isn't going to look very good.
any ideas?
Old 10-20-07, 08:43 PM
EdZ
Clinically Insane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miater
So what's with the weave look to carbon fiber finishes on seat and chain stays made of CF. ?
Is that to show us how the carbon fiber is made? Because it really doesn't look like that does it?
I've got some chips in my seat stay that are pretty ugly, and because of that weave look to the finish, using touch up paint really isn't going to look very good.
any ideas?

It does
Old 10-20-07, 08:50 PM
vpiuva

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're right about the top layer being a cosmetic layer. The underlying layers don't look like that. I've matched up CF with some success using a metallic black paint, but it's somthing you'll have to buy at an autobody supply. I took a crankarm in (easy to carry and hold next to the paint chips) and found a reasonable match.
Old 10-21-07, 07:19 AM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a sheet of CF at my shop. Could always sand it down resin it, and rewrap it. I made a custom dash piece for my race car, because I mounted my shifter in the middle of the dash where the radio, and heater controls were. It's pretty easy to work with.
Old 10-21-07, 07:48 AM
rufvelo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miater
any ideas?
The weave you typically see is pure cosmetic. You need to find faux CF stickers to cover that stay, once you inspect (or ask the LBS to check) that no damage has occured to the frame.
Old 10-21-07, 08:41 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rufvelo
The weave you typically see is pure cosmetic. You need to find faux CF stickers to cover that stay, once you inspect (or ask the LBS to check) that no damage has occured to the frame.
Or maybe a bit of light sanding and some clearcoat (again, assuming that the CF itself isn't damaged).

I think I've finally begun to be able to spot the differences between cosmetic layers and functional CF, but I'm not positive.
Old 10-21-07, 08:44 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OCLV Assassin
I made a custom dash piece for my race car, because I mounted my shifter in the middle of the dash where the radio, and heater controls were.
My car ('02 Civic Si) came like that from the factory... well, minus the carbon and still with the heater & radio. I absolutely love the dash shifter.
Old 10-21-07, 02:08 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
My car ('02 Civic Si) came like that from the factory... well, minus the carbon and still with the heater & radio. I absolutely love the dash shifter.
Where do you think I got the shifter from. I drove one of those Si's once, and had to have it.
Old 10-21-07, 02:32 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Where do you think I got the shifter from. I drove one of those Si's once, and had to have it.
One of the local guys who tracks his DC2 Integra actually extended his shift lever to bring the knob closer to the steering wheel. He said that even though the throw is longer, he saves time by not having to reach so far from the wheel.

Did you get the actual shift mechanism, or just the idea? If you got the mechanism, how difficult was it to install?
Old 10-21-07, 02:45 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BarracksSi
One of the local guys who tracks his DC2 Integra actually extended his shift lever to bring the knob closer to the steering wheel. He said that even though the throw is longer, he saves time by not having to reach so far from the wheel.

Did you get the actual shift mechanism, or just the idea? If you got the mechanism, how difficult was it to install?
I had to fabricate mounts for it. I used a buddy club short shifter for an EP3 civic, and I havea K20a type-R drivetran in my CRX. The panel isn't finished but you get the idea. There was some welding and fabricating, but nothing too hard. I already had allot to do, doing the engine swap.

Old 10-21-07, 03:18 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had to fabricate mounts for it. I used a buddy club short shifter for an EP3 civic, and I havea K20a type-R drivetran in my CRX. The panel isn't finished but you get the idea. There was some welding and fabricating, but nothing too hard. I already had allot to do, doing the engine swap.
Sheesh... that's a fast sum*****. My motor's still stock; haven't decided whether to s/c or swap (k24a2 would be nice for a heavy car like mine).

Back on topic -- the aftermarket wing on my car definitely has a cosmetic CF layer over fiberglass. Nice thing about it is that it looks "finished" without paint, while unpainted fiberglass looks like trash.
Old 10-21-07, 03:33 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The woven outer layer of CF isn't always cosmetic. If your seat stay is cracked and you don't know what you're looking at, you should get it inspected.
Old 10-24-07, 08:31 PM
miater

Bikes: cervelo dual, lemond tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually it's the chain stay not the seat stay....it really is superficial. I just don't like how it looks.