Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 04:21 PM
68sd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
That gold Super Cycle and the gold Robin Hood are inspiring another scorcher build in my mind. So far, every frame I've ever painted was black. It takes me weeks, but eventually I can get a professional looking paint job. I think I might try my hand at a gold enamel and clear coat. I've been hunting for an overpainted or wrecked tall frame for a while now with no luck. But I do have this 21" frameset. I have it stripped now and it only had a light surface rust. It's perfectly usable. The 21" Rudge worked out fine so I might try the long Sunlite stem approach again. This time I'd braze a couple cable stops on the top tube before I painted for the dual pivot calipers.

Attachment 594866

if your looking for a gold that will look like the vintage 60s CCM /Supercycle colours , i restored 3 bikes last year with Duplicor Metalcast spray paint.I used a Duplicolor Metalspecks silver as a base and the Metalcast overtop.Its not the most durable ,so i shot it with clear ,but it looks just like the factory colours.There is a gold ,green ,purple,red and blue
Old 01-08-18, 06:15 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by SirMike1983
Does anyone have a Raleigh DL-1 anti-vibration brake pad arm they'd be willing to part with/trade/sell? The part I'm looking for is the shaped, stamped piece that extends the rod brake pad off of the main rod brake assembly. It's the piece attached to the brake pad below. I have one but am missing the second from the Export Model I re-built. I've been riding it without them but would like to locate the missing one.

Wow, another really hard to find part. The bolts on the pad holders aren't quite long enough to shim into position without the offset arms. Might catch a thread or two, but not confidence inspiring. And the offset arms do work well to smooth out the front brake. I'm surprised only Raleigh used them. There are some sellers in the UK that offer complete Raleigh style rod brake sets, but even they are rare. Most of the sets you find don't have the Raleigh type double arm bell cranks ( that pivot on both sides of the down tube lug) or the offset arms.
This guy has a Raleigh style set.
Old 01-08-18, 09:15 PM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by 68sd
if your looking for a gold that will look like the vintage 60s CCM /Supercycle colours , i restored 3 bikes last year with Duplicor Metalcast spray paint.I used a Duplicolor Metalspecks silver as a base and the Metalcast overtop.Its not the most durable ,so i shot it with clear ,but it looks just like the factory colours.There is a gold ,green ,purple,red and blue
That may be a little out of my skill range, but that's never stopped me before. I'll look into that. Thanks
Old 01-09-18, 05:01 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Bikes: Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one is just another over priced piece.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...453053992.html
Old 01-09-18, 06:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyspaghetti
It's in very good condition. Around here (New York City), that's extremely underpriced.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-09-18, 06:46 AM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's in very good condition. Around here (New York City), that's extremely underpriced.
I need a trailer & hitch.
Old 01-09-18, 07:00 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I need a trailer & hitch.
A few years ago, there was an article in the NY Times about how market prices vary. The author found that markets whose car prices are low have high bike prices. And vice versa. So in theory, you could buy a cheap bike in Phoenix (low bikes, high cars), ride it to Portland (OR) (high bikes, low cars), sell the bike there, buy a car cheap, and drive back to Phoenix, sell the car, and repeat.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-09-18, 12:32 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
What @noglider said! That would be a good price here in Portland. And there's some pretty nice pros with this one:
  1. Looks to be an early 60's model
  2. Looks to be in good shape (though the photos aren't great)
  3. And looks to be ready to go, vs a $50 project bike
Of course, you could probably bargain with the seller a bit, esp. for misspelling Raleigh.

(and if you look in photo 2, there looks to be maybe a red Raleigh in the background?)
Old 01-09-18, 02:34 PM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Not a three speed, but 5 on this one.
I picked this up with full intentions of swapping everything over to a men's frame but the thing rides so perfect the way it is I couldn't bring myself to part it out.
The bike rides and feels like a much larger frame size, I'm 6'01, and it fits me well. Ladies model or not its a fun bike to ride. I think I'm going to hold out and wait for a larger frame men's frame to turn up in the same colors so I can make the parts swap someday. Until then, its my around the neighborhood beater bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sprite 1967 (2).JPG (249.5 KB, 151 views)
Old 01-09-18, 03:45 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 27inch
I picked this up with full intentions of swapping everything over to a men's frame but the thing rides so perfect the way it is I couldn't bring myself to part it out.
The bike rides and feels like a much larger frame size, I'm 6'01, and it fits me well. Ladies model or not its a fun bike to ride. I think I'm going to hold out and wait for a larger frame men's frame to turn up in the same colors so I can make the parts swap someday. Until then, its my around the neighborhood beater bike.
Looks to be 67-68' where do you live? why not put it in the avatar? All yer bikes are listed. You don't look close by because the old Merc/Ford isn't rusty enough for you to be close by. The bike was a project and is in prefect riding order now. It rides real nice/straight. Every nut, bolt, screw, ballbearing has been gone through. I might even trade for that one.

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 01-09-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 03:50 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adventurepdx
What @noglider said! That would be a good price here in Portland. And there's some pretty nice pros with this one:
  1. Looks to be an early 60's model
  2. Looks to be in good shape (though the photos aren't great)
  3. And looks to be ready to go, vs a $50 project bike
Of course, you could probably bargain with the seller a bit, esp. for misspelling Raleigh.

(and if you look in photo 2, there looks to be maybe a red Raleigh in the background?)
I am such a F up!
Old 01-09-18, 05:53 PM
adventurepdx

I am such a F up!
No, you are not. I didn't mean to imply that in my post (and I doubt @noglider did either), so I apologize if it was taken that way. It's just that prices on used bikes are subjective. There's no rules, it's about what the particular market can bear plus what someone is willing to pay. You expressed your opinion on the price of that bike, I expressed mine.

It's all a matter of perspective. I'm guessing that most of the dozen or so regular posters to this thread would like to find an old three speed for (next to) nothing, unless it was a particularly rare bike. Most of the folks here are tinkerers, and are going to refurbish/rebuild the bike to some extent. So $175 may be too high for someone like that.

But what about the folks who are not on this list, who are not bike tinkerers, who may just want a three speed? Especially one that works with a minimum of fuss and added work (if the seller indeed did all the work claimed in the ad)? To them, this bike may be worth the $175 asking price.
Old 01-09-18, 06:34 PM
BigChief 

I'm especially fond of these S5 hubs. I tried, but didn't get on with the top tube mounted stick shifters that originally came on the bike. I ended up using a SA trigger on the right and a Suntour power shifter to operate the bell crank on the left.

Sprite_shifters.JPG
Old 01-09-18, 07:10 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, you are not. I didn't mean to imply that in my post (and I doubt @noglider did either), so I apologize if it was taken that way. It's just that prices on used bikes are subjective. There's no rules, it's about what the particular market can bear plus what someone is willing to pay. You expressed your opinion on the price of that bike, I expressed mine.

It's all a matter of perspective. I'm guessing that most of the dozen or so regular posters to this thread would like to find an old three speed for (next to) nothing, unless it was a particularly rare bike. Most of the folks here are tinkerers, and are going to refurbish/rebuild the bike to some extent. So $175 may be too high for someone like that.

But what about the folks who are not on this list, who are not bike tinkerers, who may just want a three speed? Especially one that works with a minimum of fuss and added work (if the seller indeed did all the work claimed in the ad)? To them, this bike may be worth the $175 asking price.
175 Is high in a Minnesota winter but I have put 4 bikes on CL to please the opposition(HER)I personally put 175 in labor...
Old 01-09-18, 07:13 PM
adventurepdx

175 Is high in a Minnesota winter but I have put 4 bikes on CL to please the opposition(HER)I personally put 175 in labor...
Agreed, dead of winter is a hard time in most places to ask for a good amount of $$ on a bike, let alone successfully sell one. I had to sell my LHT a few winters ago for a price lower than I wanted, simply because I needed the money.
Old 01-09-18, 07:22 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
175+ in labor to message paint & not f u decals. Every nook & kranny. There is no jackpot, only a finish. Deoxidized

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 01-09-18 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 07:39 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed, dead of winter is a hard time in most places to ask for a good amount of $$ on a bike, let alone successfully sell one. I had to sell my LHT a few winters ago for a price lower than I wanted, simply because I needed the money.
I don't really want to sell nothing. The tangible asset here is basically nil.
Old 01-09-18, 07:56 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
I agree. Reasonable. Rims look good, Raleigh acorns, paint and decals good plus a tall frame.
Old 01-09-18, 09:40 PM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Looks to be 67-68' where do you live? why not put it in the avatar? All yer bikes are listed. You don't look close by because the old Merc/Ford isn't rusty enough for you to be close by. The bike was a project and is in prefect riding order now. It rides real nice/straight. Every nut, bolt, screw, ballbearing has been gone through. I might even trade for that one.
Who ever had this didn't ride it a whole lot. Although its not mint it doesn't look abused. The fenders and chainguard are straight, the paint is faded but not all scratched up and the rims are straight.
The old Merc is gone, I sold it soon after taking that pic, it lived its whole life in the garage, sold it with 95K on it.
I took the pic the day I brought both of them back here back in the early fall. The yard is snow covered here now bit its melting fast right now. The bike came from north east PA. I moved from there back in Oct.

I haven't thought about letting this one go, I like the two additional gears.

On this bike they used a second SA trigger to shift the left side, it uses just two positions. It seems to work well and looks the part.
I've never found one of these that still had its original shifters for some reason, my guess is they had issues?
Old 01-09-18, 10:11 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
I agree. Reasonable. Rims look good, Raleigh acorns, paint and decals good plus a tall frame.
rims are not perfect. Some idiot has impacted the frt rim in the brake friction zone as a fool would do....Go hit a banjo or a harp
Old 01-09-18, 10:18 PM
johnnyspaghetti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who ever had this didn't ride it a whole lot. Although its not mint it doesn't look abused. The fenders and chainguard are straight, the paint is faded but not all scratched up and the rims are straight.
The old Merc is gone, I sold it soon after taking that pic, it lived its whole life in the garage, sold it with 95K on it.
I took the pic the day I brought both of them back here back in the early fall. The yard is snow covered here now bit its melting fast right now. The bike came from north east PA. I moved from there back in Oct.

I haven't thought about letting this one go, I like the two additional gears.

On this bike they used a second SA trigger to shift the left side, it uses just two positions. It seems to work well and looks the part.
I've never found one of these that still had its original shifters for some reason, my guess is they had issues?
https://https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/d/1967-dunelt-5-speed-igh-s5/6453163722.htmlI

I the sports is good

Last edited by johnnyspaghetti; 01-09-18 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 10:27 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 323 Posts
Originally Posted by BigChief
I'm especially fond of these S5 hubs. I tried, but didn't get on with the top tube mounted stick shifters that originally came on the bike. I ended up using a SA trigger on the right and a Suntour power shifter to operate the bell crank on the left.

Attachment 595033
I use the originals. Originality is the the main reason, and there really is no other good reason to stick with them. The main issue is the drive-side use of a friction shifter. The non-drive is easy - either it's loose or its tight. But you need to memorize and "feel" the drive side shifter positions to avoid the neutral between 3 and 4. They have little "stops" built in, but they're soft stops and you can easily just miss them unless you're really feeling for their slight "catch". I doubt a product like this would be allowed to sell retail for road use today because it's actually somewhat of a hazard if you're not used to the quirks.

What they do allow is the ability to rapidly double jump from 2d gear to 4th (or the other direction) or from 1st to 5th (though I've never needed to jump that far). But the regular thumb click shifter is still better overall. You really need to memorize the feel of shifting that drive-side lever with the stock Sprite frictions.

My Sprite is not a daily commuter bike. If it was, I'd opt for the click thumb shifter rig something like what you have.
Old 01-10-18, 04:51 AM
oldlugs

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
I don't recall them using a Raleigh logo stem on a Dunelt before?

That Sports looks like a deal to me, those bring upwards of $300 here in that condition.
But a ladies model won't get a second look. I've parted dozens of step through frame models to use the parts on a good larger men's model.
I've been seeing quite a few AMF branded Hercules models around here, which are basically just the same as any of the non Raleigh sports models. For some reason no one wants the Hercules bikes, either because of the AMF logos or the fact that they don't recognize the brand.
You can't touch a Raleigh, Sunbeam, Humber, or Triumph though. Dunelt, Hercules, Robin Hood, Philips, Norman, BSA or Armstrong get overlooked for some reason.
Old 01-10-18, 06:55 AM
BigChief 

Originally Posted by SirMike1983
I use the originals. Originality is the the main reason, and there really is no other good reason to stick with them. The main issue is the drive-side use of a friction shifter. The non-drive is easy - either it's loose or its tight. But you need to memorize and "feel" the drive side shifter positions to avoid the neutral between 3 and 4. They have little "stops" built in, but they're soft stops and you can easily just miss them unless you're really feeling for their slight "catch". I doubt a product like this would be allowed to sell retail for road use today because it's actually somewhat of a hazard if you're not used to the quirks.

What they do allow is the ability to rapidly double jump from 2d gear to 4th (or the other direction) or from 1st to 5th (though I've never needed to jump that far). But the regular thumb click shifter is still better overall. You really need to memorize the feel of shifting that drive-side lever with the stock Sprite frictions.

My Sprite is not a daily commuter bike. If it was, I'd opt for the click thumb shifter rig something like what you have.
I appreciate what you do with these old bikes. My reference folders are filled with pictures you have posted here. Preserving and documenting original features like this is a valuable asset to me. Thanks
Old 01-10-18, 07:12 AM
erileykc

Bikes: Raleigh Tourist, Jamis Coda, Rad City e-bike & a bright orange Citizen Miami folder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
VE Day London 1945
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VE Day Raleigh.jpg (67.5 KB, 124 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.