Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo / Shimano 10 Speed Compatibility

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campagnolo / Shimano 10 Speed Compatibility

Old 07-31-07, 06:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina
And why do you assume that a bike that has a drivetrain from a single manufacturer must, inevitably, break the bank?
I think we agree about this more than we disagree.

Last year I built up a brand new bike from sctatch and I did use a completely consistant drivetrain, Campy Chorus 10-speed as a matter of fact. I saw no reason to mix and match and if I wanted to reduce the cost I could have used Centaur or even Veloce.

My Campy/Shimano/Jtek combination was done because the bike was originally all-Shimano 9-speed and I wanted to have Ergo shifters for consistancy with the new bike. A complete drivetrain change would have been much more than I was willing to spend and the $35 Jtek made that unnecessary with NO sacrifice in shifting quality.

Despite your experience with earlier types, the Shiftmate has been absolutely trouble free and I also ride in a lot of rain and other harsh conditions. They are stainless steel with teflon bushings and actually more trouble free than regular cables.

I agree with your distaste for OEM's using off-brand cranks as a cost savings.

Last edited by HillRider; 07-31-07 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-31-07, 08:11 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
[QUOTE=Despite your experience with earlier types, the Shiftmate has been absolutely trouble free and I also ride in a lot of rain and other harsh conditions. They are stainless steel with teflon bushings and actually more trouble free than regular cables.[/QUOTE]

The earlier versions that I had experience with, didn't have much in the way of a bushing at all. I guess they figured that one out.
Old 07-26-22, 01:55 AM
Openroad2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Shimano 10 speed cassette with Campagnolo 10 speed drivetrain

My experience with Shimano 10 speed cassette on complete Campagnolo 10 speed drivetrain has not been very good. I did center the upper pulley to 5th cog, but when I go downhill, it always make noise when I am on large front chainring and try to get on 1st or 2nd position cogs. Sometimes it just won’t go.

just found an interesting video on YouTube by “Tiny Bike Projects”. Step by step instructions on how to re-spacing a Shimano 10 speed cassette to fit a full Campagnolo drivetrain. Shimano 10 speed cassette is dirt cheap now if buy used. Plus SRAM 10 and all their MTB 10s. Options are unlimited. For $20 for the spacers, I definitely will give it a try. It is much cheaper than shiftmate. I am able to re-spaced a Shimano Ultegra 6700 10 speed 12/27 cassette follow the video. Works well for 2 rides about 96 miles. Absolutely no noise. And lighter than my Centaur 10 speed cassette. Need to readjust limit screws on RD since the position of the cassette on the freehub has changed.

I do not see a lot of people running Campagnolo shifters with Shimano derailleurs. If that is the case, probably just go all Shimano or SRAM. Reason for me to look at Shimano or SRAM 10 cassette for my 10 speed Campagnolo group is because of the limit availability of Campagnolo 10 cassette and also limited gear ratio Campagnolo has offered.
Old 07-26-22, 04:50 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by Openroad2015
My experience with Shimano 10 speed cassette on complete Campagnolo 10 speed drivetrain has not been very good.
Did you happen to notice that the last post in this thread was almost 15 years ago? 10 speed Campagnolo and Shimano are old news
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-26-22, 07:35 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Did you happen to notice that the last post in this thread was almost 15 years ago? 10 speed Campagnolo and Shimano are old news
but then we would’ve missed the comment about how 10sp is probably as high as we can go within the limits of a 130mm dropout width, otherwise someone would’ve done 11sp by now. And that was only 15 years ago 😀
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-05-22, 03:54 AM
Openroad2015

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
As long as there are people interested in the topic, it is not zombie. You think Vintage bikes are zombie?
Likes For Openroad2015:
Old 08-05-22, 04:44 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
The problem with respacing a Shimano cassette is that a 10sp Shimano hub is too narrow and does not line up if you can manage to put it together. If you do 10sp with spacers on an 11sp hub it works because there is extra space. But that's the rub. If you have an 11sp wheel you likely also have an 11sp setup. And if you don't have the setup why would you buy a wheel just to make this work?

I did the spacers on my trainer because it came with an 11sp freehub but my bike was Campy 10. An 11sp freehub is 1.8mm wider than the 7-8-9 hubs and 1mm wider than a 10sp Shimano. I wouldn't do it on a wheel though. I was an early buyer of the Wahoo Kickr Core trainer and they hadn't made them with a Campy hub, but I think they do now. But 11sp is cross compatible anyway.

It's a 15 year old thread. They didn't have 11sp wheels to build on. That's why all of these kluges were needed. The Shiftmate may have worked, but the shop I bought my 10sp Campy bike from told me to just buy a Campy wheel. Why spend $3500 on a new bike and then depend on a kluge?
Likes For zacster:
Old 08-05-22, 04:45 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
The young OP is now showing some grey, hates being middle mgmt, has two kids, and hasn't had time to bike since 2019.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 08-05-22, 03:19 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
It's not exactly the same, but close enough to work fine in most cases, either 9-speed or 10-speed.

Back in the 8-speed days it was a different story though.

Sheldon "Shimagnolo" Brown
Code:
+-----------------------------------------------------------+
| Always listen to the experts. |
| They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. |
| Then do it. --Robert A. Heinlein |
+-----------------------------------------------------------+
Wow! I almost replied to this post, then noticed Sheldon Brown, then noticed the date! But what the heck, I'll do it anyway since the tread is on my current thread list which means it's been resurected already and I won't be blamed. I'll read more after i post this.

Annnnyyyyywaaaayyy.... I used a Shimano 8 speed wheel and cassette by mistake with a Campy 8 speed Syncro downtube shifter and it worked fine. I had purchaed a JTek adapter to use, but forgot to put it on. Now I have a Campy wheel for that bike.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-05-22 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-08-22, 11:42 AM
Openroad2015

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
The problem with respacing a Shimano cassette is that a 10sp Shimano hub is too narrow and does not line up if you can manage to put it together. If you do 10sp with spacers on an 11sp hub it works because there is extra space. But that's the rub. If you have an 11sp wheel you likely also have an 11sp setup. And if you don't have the setup why would you buy a wheel just to make this work?

I did the spacers on my trainer because it came with an 11sp freehub but my bike was Campy 10. An 11sp freehub is 1.8mm wider than the 7-8-9 hubs and 1mm wider than a 10sp Shimano. I wouldn't do it on a wheel though. I was an early buyer of the Wahoo Kickr Core trainer and they hadn't made them with a Campy hub, but I think they do now. But 11sp is cross compatible anyway.

It's a 15 year old thread. They didn't have 11sp wheels to build on. That's why all of these kluges were needed. The Shiftmate may have worked, but the shop I bought my 10sp Campy bike from told me to just buy a Campy wheel. Why spend $3500 on a new bike and then depend on a kluge?
1. DT Swiss 240 11 speed road Freehub BODY (that is what counts) is 1.8 mm longer than 10 speed Freehub BODY. That is enough space for cog spacers.

2. From 10 speed to 11 speed, you do not need to purchase a whole wheelset. A simple freehub body swap will turn your 10 speed wheelset to 11 speed. If your wheel manufacturer does not support this conversion, I am sorry you are scammed.

I am not sure how many people rate their 11 speed Campagnolo groups higher than their 10 speed Campy groups. I tried a pre-2014 Chorus group. Does not have the Campy feeling. Stay with my 10 speed Campy.

And a 10 speed Record 8 piece group is less than 2000g, Chorus is 21xx. Hard to beat these numbers. Plus if you stay with Chorus and Record, almost every single piece can be serviced and rebuilt, not just the shifters. That is a lot of fun.

The re-spacing of Shimano/SRAM cassettes for campy group simply gives the 10 speed Campy group a potential to run larger range cassettes. I believe Campy 11 speed has 32T and 12 speed group has 34T offerings. The re-spaced Shimano/SRAM 10 speed cassettes can reach the same range, saving you the cost for a complete Campy group.

If you want to go with Shimano/Sram 11 or 12 speed groups, that is a different story.
Old 08-08-22, 01:10 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
The value for shiftmates is if you like the mechanism of Campagnolo 10, but want a wider range cassette (Campy 10 only ever supported 29 or 30T big cogs). A Jtek shiftmate allowed you to use Campagnolo everything but the RD and cassette, so you could get the lovely ultrashift mechanism, but use a 34T big gear in the back. Since 11 speed cassettes were spaced the same it wasn't an issue and 12 (and 13-speed Ekar) Campagnolo allows for larger big cogs, so it's not such an issue.
Old 08-09-22, 02:57 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Openroad2015
1. DT Swiss 240 11 speed road Freehub BODY (that is what counts) is 1.8 mm longer than 10 speed Freehub BODY. That is enough space for cog spacers.

2. From 10 speed to 11 speed, you do not need to purchase a whole wheelset. A simple freehub body swap will turn your 10 speed wheelset to 11 speed. If your wheel manufacturer does not support this conversion, I am sorry you are scammed.

I am not sure how many people rate their 11 speed Campagnolo groups higher than their 10 speed Campy groups. I tried a pre-2014 Chorus group. Does not have the Campy feeling. Stay with my 10 speed Campy.

And a 10 speed Record 8 piece group is less than 2000g, Chorus is 21xx. Hard to beat these numbers. Plus if you stay with Chorus and Record, almost every single piece can be serviced and rebuilt, not just the shifters. That is a lot of fun.

The re-spacing of Shimano/SRAM cassettes for campy group simply gives the 10 speed Campy group a potential to run larger range cassettes. I believe Campy 11 speed has 32T and 12 speed group has 34T offerings. The re-spaced Shimano/SRAM 10 speed cassettes can reach the same range, saving you the cost for a complete Campy group.

If you want to go with Shimano/Sram 11 or 12 speed groups, that is a different story.
Yes, but the freehub body is 1.8mm wider by adding 1mm to the width of the hub between the dropouts. They are 131, not 130. And yes, this allows for spacers on a Shimano cassette to be Campy spaced for 10sp. And why do you think you are being scammed if the manufacturer doesn't support it? That's not a scam, that's a decision that it isn't worth the engineering effort to support a handful of conversions, or that your wheel comes from a time before 11 speed existed. 11sp is backwards compatible to 10, not the other way around. It may be easy enough to add 1mm to the width of the hub that the freehub attaches to.

As for cassette ranges, there was a time when 13-23 freewheels were the standard and they've been getting wider ever since. 13-29 Campy is wide enough for my riding with a 50/34, but if I lived out west I'd want lower gears. When I rented a bike in San Fran a few years ago I had a 11-34 with a 50/34. I was not surprised at how often I used the 34/34 combo with those hills. I don't think I'd want lower. I tried climbing Mt. Haleakala in Maui with a 50/34 and 11-28 (I think) and I wish I had much lower gearing. I didn't make it, but there were a lot of reasons for that. I have a thread on that somewhere.

And I did rebuild my right shifter. The shifting still worked but it was get soft and imprecise. I replaced the G-springs and whatever else came with the kit and it worked like new again. It wasn't too hard but I had to reassemble it at least 3 times to get it right.

Last edited by zacster; 08-09-22 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-09-22, 03:13 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
but then we would’ve missed the comment about how 10sp is probably as high as we can go within the limits of a 130mm dropout width, otherwise someone would’ve done 11sp by now. And that was only 15 years ago 😀
Quilty as charged . I was sure that 10-speed cogs and chains were as narrow as practical given 130mm OLD frames spacing. Never thought 11-speed would become common and that 12 and even 13-speed would ever exist. So much for my predictive powers.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-18-22, 04:09 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by HillRider
Quilty as charged . I was sure that 10-speed cogs and chains were as narrow as practical given 130mm OLD frames spacing. Never thought 11-speed would become common and that 12 and even 13-speed would ever exist. So much for my predictive powers.
And I was right that when 11sp did come out it would be cross-compatible because of the lack of space to do it differently from each other.

I see these old threads come up in my subscriptions or notifications. I forget that I ever replied, although this one seemed likely.
Old 08-18-22, 04:40 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
Well things have changed in the last 15 years. Shimano road RD's used to have an actuation of 1.7mm to 1. Now 10 & 11 speed Shimano RD's are 1.4mm to 1. Campagnolo 10 speed is 1.5mm to 1.

Campagnolo 10 speed pulls 2.8mm of cable and Tiagra 4700 shifter pulls 2.8mm of cable. Seems to me that you just have to swap out the RD for a Tiagra, 105, or Ultegra and run a Shimano 10 speed cassette.. You can keep your Campagnolo 10 speed shifters.

You'll have to do the math to make sure... old Campy 10 speed (2.8 x 1.5 = 4.2), old Campy 10 speed shifters/Shimano 10/11 RD (2.8 x 1.4 = 3.92mm).

There you go.

John