Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hi from the Midwest I have a question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-22, 11:20 AM
revetment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

is Slime sealant bad for tires? I bought a brand new bike from wallys last fall, had prostate problems and could ride it. Now the tires wont air up and one has deep cracks in it. I had put the slime in the tires as a preventive measure, cause we get sandburrs blown all over the place in my area. Is this just cheap wally tires? I m certain i dont still have the receipt for the bike. where should I get replacement tires? thanks.
Old 10-12-22, 11:40 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Thread moved from Introductions to Bike Mechanics

Old 10-12-22, 12:05 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Typically, you put Slime in the inner tubes, not in the tires. If you did put it in the tubes, it would have no effect on the tires.

Your tube may have been punctured, in spite of the Slime, and that may be why it won't air up.

Tires (and tubes) can be replaced at a local bike shop or through an online retailer. For either, you'll need to know the diameter of the current tire (26", 27.5, 29", 700C, etc.) and its width (1 3/8, 2.1", 38mm, etc.). These numbers should be marked on the side of the tire, as shown:

Old 10-12-22, 12:34 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 426 Times in 326 Posts
Assuming these are tubed tyres, the slime went in the inner tube not the tyre. It wouldn't cause damage anyway - it just creates a mess that makes it harder to patch a puncture
Were the tyres stored on the ground in a hot sunlit location? That's what usually causes rapid aging, Best for the tyres to hang the bike in a cool dry shaded place.
I'd still expect tyres to last longer than a year, but I guess it could be old stock or just junk rubber.
Do you want to learn how to replace tyres, or is there a bike shop you could use?
If there's a major problem with thorns you'd do better to use tubeless tyres but that raises further technical issues. Puncture resistant tyres with inner tubes is an easier option, or actually puncture proof tyres (you don't add air, the're made of foamed urethane that has its attendant disadvantages).
Old 10-12-22, 12:50 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
You've probably clogged up the valve stems with Slime if they won't accept air.
Go to your local auto parts store and get a removal tool, similar to this. They come in many different versions, but all you need is a cheap one.
https://www.jbtools.com/the-main-res...waAsSYEALw_wcB
They may have valve cores for sale.
If not, stop by a tire shop and ask for some used ones.
I always keep a couple in my "home" tire patch kit from old tubes.

I've clogged up/ruined a perfectly good, cheap tire pump when Slime back flowed from the valve to the pump.
Old 10-12-22, 02:24 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,405 Posts
The tire wall cracks have nothing to do with the slime. They're likely the result of being flat while sitting on the floor for a while, compounded by age and dryness. In most cases this type of crack is meaningless, since the tire's fabric plies are unaffected. In flate the tire, and if it comes up round with no lumps or bulges, it's most likely fine to ride.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-12-22, 03:16 PM
revetment

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks

love it, guys. I'll try new valve cores, maybe stems too if needed and see how it goes. thanks a bunch!
Old 10-12-22, 04:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by revetment
love it, guys. I'll try new valve cores, maybe stems too if needed and see how it goes. thanks a bunch!
Don't buy new stems unless you are certain the tires/rims are tubeless.
Old 10-12-22, 04:26 PM
revetment

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good point

Originally Posted by Iride01
Don't buy new stems unless you are certain the tires/rims are tubeless.
I was thinking of car tires. duh! I see that i have a couple of private message, but when I try to view them, I get an error message that says that the moderator wont let people use PMs if they dont yet have 10 posts. so I gotta be more ative, apparently.

Last edited by revetment; 10-12-22 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-12-22, 05:14 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,405 Posts
First head to the introductions forum and say hi. That's one of the 5 more you need. Then head to some of the other sub forums and post something relevant. $ more posts and you're in as a "regular" for whatever that's worth.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-13-22, 06:20 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Tires (and tubes) can be replaced at a local bike shop or through an online retailer. For either, you'll need to know the diameter of the current tire (26", 27.5, 29", 700C, etc.) and its width (1 3/8, 2.1", 38mm, etc.). These numbers should be marked on the side of the tire, as shown:

It's better to use the standardized ETRTO size designations (54-622, in the case of the pictured tire above) rather than the archaic inch and other size designations, as these can be quite ambiguous, e.g. there are about half a dozen mutually incompatible nominal 26" tire sizes that are unambiguously distinct using the ETRTO size designations.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-13-22, 05:50 PM
revetment

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
they limit me to 5 posts per 24 hours guys

[QUOTE=FBinNY;22676923]First head to the introductions forum and say hi. That's one of the 5 more you need. Then head to some of the other sub forums and post something relevant. $ more posts and you're in as a "regular" for whatever that's worth.[/QUOT

I originally did post this in intros, and the mods moved it here. I got the replacement valves and the tool, gotta try it all tomorrow. Thanks guys. we'll see how it goes.