Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help installing SRAM hydraulic levers

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-22, 01:16 AM
Profoxcg

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 / S-Works Crux / BMC Kaius 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I have a NIB group from SRAM for a new build. This is my first time building a bike but it should not be too hard compared to working on a car and modifying a car. I expect it to be a great learning experience and fun! I have bought the park tools brake bleeding kit and the proper hose cutting tool and DOT fluid. The levers seem to be assembled with the lines into the calipers. My question is: When I cut the line(s) to fit my bike, will have to install some sort of barb, or hose end to the line with any special tool (I am thinking of fuel lines on a car, or brake line flares). Can someone please elaborate? This seems to be the hardest part of the bike built to be honest. I appreciate any responses in advance.
Old 11-22-22, 02:55 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
it's pretty straight forward. I didn't use any of their special tools but it would have been nice if I had them. If I did this for a living I would want there special tool that does it in seconds. I think I took several minutes. Trying very careful to not pinch or put too much pressure on the brake line while trying to insert/hammer the barb.

go to about 6:44 this is about how I did it. worked fine.
Old 11-22-22, 07:26 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
There are videos from sram that explain everything. You'll need a bleeding edge bleed kit, that includes a couple of stealth-a-majig hose ends. You need a hose cutting tool that will make a clean, square cut. I have a cutter for black poly irrigation tubing that worked, but a special cutter would be better. 12 gauge copper wire works to plug the tube, to minimize fluid leakage. I cut the ends from the calipers and fed them through the frame.

Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 11-22-22, 09:28 AM
Profoxcg

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL7 / S-Works Crux / BMC Kaius 01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the video, this is for a road bike, it seems like besides the brake bleeding kit with the bleeding edge, I dont need anything else (tools) that are bike specific. I have flare wrenches.

I also bought a cable routing helping tool (with magnets?) I am thinking that I will install the hoods, then run the hoses into the frame (top-down approach) and then reinstall the hose into the calipers and follow rhe video to cut to size.

I think that I get why they recomend to cut the hose at the hoods and not at the calipers (this is so you can make sure to size them correctly)

Thanks everyone,
Old 11-22-22, 09:59 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
When I did my Sram road bike hydraulic levers/calipers (AXS group), I'd never done disc or hydraulic before. I followed the online printed and video instructions by Sram and it went very well. I don't have specific links without looking - but IIRC, everything was linked on the Sram site.

Last edited by Camilo; 11-22-22 at 10:41 PM.