Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Good deal Edge 1040

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-22, 07:30 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Good deal Edge 1040

Western Bike Works

Edge 1040, non solar, $479.99, reduced from $600

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/cart/viewcart?ie=
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 11-26-22, 12:17 AM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Or $600 for the Edge 1040 Solar - basically 20% off MSRP on everything in the store. I just stocked up on some Shimano drivetrain stuff that's rarely on sale.
Old 11-27-22, 03:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Solar might be valuable in a watch depending on your needs and how you use it, but isn't very useful in the 1040 for most people. The battery is already phenomenal, almost no one will need more in a single ride, and the solar doesn't add as much as people seem to expect.

On the other hand, if you have a good Garmin watch, a bigger screen is literally the only benefit of an Edge device, and it doesn't use the extra size very well. The map is so annoying to use because of all the zooming it does on its own that it's usually less frustrating to use the map in the watch. The 130 is the sweet spot among Edge devices.
Old 11-27-22, 03:50 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Solar might be valuable in a watch depending on your needs and how you use it, but isn't very useful in the 1040 for most people. The battery is already phenomenal, almost no one will need more in a single ride, and the solar doesn't add as much as people seem to expect.

On the other hand, if you have a good Garmin watch, a bigger screen is literally the only benefit of an Edge device, and it doesn't use the extra size very well. The map is so annoying to use because of all the zooming it does on its own that it's usually less frustrating to use the map in the watch. The 130 is the sweet spot among Edge devices.
Like saying the base A220 is the sweet spot in the Mercedes lineup.

I own a 1040 Solar as well as the Enduro 2 watch and I can’t imagine replacing the 1040 with the watch. The solar is a nice feature especially if you do multi day trips or just don’t feel like charging it frequently. It charges in standby as well so as long as it’s exposed to the sun it is charging so there is that.
Old 11-27-22, 06:19 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

I could see the usefulness of solar charging on a long self supported tour. Adding 42 minutes or whatever for each hours means a lot less charging. Not useful enough to make me pay $150 extra though. The 1040 has 35 hrs and thats plenty.
Old 11-27-22, 09:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I own a 1040 Solar as well as the Enduro 2 watch and I can’t imagine replacing the 1040 with the watch. The solar is a nice feature especially if you do multi day trips or just don’t feel like charging it frequently. It charges in standby as well so as long as it’s exposed to the sun it is charging so there is that.
I'm not saying people like you don't exist, I'm saying for every one of you there are 100 cyclists riding 5 hours a week. The non solar 1040 gets 40? hours to a charge, that's more than a month for the average cyclist. And also that a lot of people expect more from the solar than it can reasonably deliver and wind up being disappointed.

It's great that Garmin has a range of things to cover every type of cyclist and runner.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-27-22, 10:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I could see the usefulness of solar charging on a long self supported tour. Adding 42 minutes or whatever for each hours means a lot less charging. Not useful enough to make me pay $150 extra though. The 1040 has 35 hrs and thats plenty.
​​​​​​I had to look this up. To clarify, that's (1) in battery saving mode on the Edge and (2) in 75,000 lux conditions with the Edge in full sun. 75k is bright sun. It's obviously less on cloudy days, very little in the woods or other shade, and none after sunset.

Solar is a great feature for people who need it, most don't. The battery is already more than most people need.
Old 11-27-22, 11:23 PM
wayold

Bikes: Tallboy, Domane, old 90s MTB beater/grocery-getter, and a new franken-gravel experiment based on a Sirrus x 5.0.

Maybe watches work for you on a bike, but they don't for me at all. Screen size is part of it, but having a steady source of information in my field of view without having to let go and/or look away even more so. I've used a few different manufacturers' bike computers and Garmin does a decent job of data presentation (not significantly better/worse than the others I've tried). I find the maps on the Garmins pretty usable - not without issues, but easy enough to get the information I need while riding. You could certainly make the argument that the high end Garmin bike computers aren't worth their nosebleed prices, but, as far as I can tell, they seem to work quite well for most of what I need.
Old 11-28-22, 08:00 AM
Steve B.

​​​​​​I had to look this up. To clarify, that's (1) in battery saving mode on the Edge and (2) in 75,000 lux conditions with the Edge in full sun. 75k is bright sun. It's obviously less on cloudy days, very little in the woods or other shade, and none after sunset.

Solar is a great feature for people who need it, most don't. The battery is already more than most people need.
Yes, I came to the same conclusion and purchased the regular 1040 on sale at my LBS last week. They let me apply a 20% off coupon, which they mostly never do for GPS electronics.
Old 11-28-22, 02:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by wayold
Maybe watches work for you on a bike, but they don't for me at all. Screen size is part of it, but having a steady source of information in my field of view without having to let go and/or look away even more so. I've used a few different manufacturers' bike computers and Garmin does a decent job of data presentation (not significantly better/worse than the others I've tried). I find the maps on the Garmins pretty usable - not without issues, but easy enough to get the information I need while riding. You could certainly make the argument that the high end Garmin bike computers aren't worth their nosebleed prices, but, as far as I can tell, they seem to work quite well for most of what I need.
​​​​​​FYI, you can turn off the "sharp turn ahead" warning by going into the activity profile (like road, gravel, MTB) in settings, going into navigation, and then it's in the menu and can be turned off. 🙂 👍

That one change makes the map less frustrating to use. If anybody in here knows how to make the map stop zooming on its own that would be very helpful to me. I need a zoomed out view for context much of the time and the 1030+ can't stay zoomed out because it wants to show me the details of intersections.

It also can't stay connected to my Varia as a tail light even though it has no trouble with the radar, so the bottom of the screen always says disconnected from light network.

All I want is for it to respect the map view I selected. The watch screen is smaller, but it behaves intuitively.
Old 11-29-22, 06:23 PM
wayold

​​​​​​If anybody in here knows how to make the map stop zooming on its own that would be very helpful to me. I need a zoomed out view for context much of the time and the 1030+ can't stay zoomed out because it wants to show me the details of intersections.
Have you tried turning off Auto Zoom in: Activity Profiles > Navigation > Map > Auto Zoom ?
Old 11-29-22, 07:39 PM
Steve B.

Have you tried turning off Auto Zoom in: Activity Profiles > Navigation > Map > Auto Zoom ?
What, are you kidding me, you actually found a solution by looking in the manual ?, that rarely happens with Garmin.
Old 11-29-22, 09:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

I owe you a six pack!
Old 11-30-22, 08:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
What, are you kidding me, you actually found a solution by looking in the manual ?, that rarely happens with Garmin.
No kidding. Last time I looked at one all I learned is I shouldn't charge it in the shower.
Likes For pdlamb: