Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur Cage 5-10 Degrees Out of Plumb - Do We Care?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-22, 12:17 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts

I'm a bit of a nut for perfect shifting. The perfectionist in me wants my derailleur cages to be perfectly parallel to my cogs at all times. That pretty much is the case on a 105 short cage setup that I built in the spring. However, it is not the case on:

1) My wife's bike shown in the picture below which is a medium cage Tiagra 4700 RD or;

2) The long cage Deore LX on my 1991 Miyata 1000 who's cage is the length of a baby's arm.

So my question is this. Is the degree of cage out of plumb-ness shown below a problem? Or is it just a consequence of the derailleur "settling in" to there being some degree of cross chaining in most gear combos? I suspect it's the latter.

Additional information on my wife's bike that might be relevant:

- She bought it from an elderly coworker with balance issues. The coworker dumped the bike a couple of times on the road and, by the look of the dropouts, maybe a few times on a trainer.

- My wife recently dumped the bike on the drive side while stationary. She wound up stomping right on the derailleur somehow.

- Prior to taking this photo, I installed a brand new derailleur hanger, chain, and cassette. With the Park Tool gauge on it, it's got about 1/4" gap up near the seat post. This would actually tend to tilt the derailleur the other way I think.

- The bike in the photo shifts quite well as is. Maybe a little noisy at the extremes.

- The tilt is at a maximum at the largest cog and tends to disappear towards the smaller cogs.

Old 08-29-22, 01:28 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
This is going to degrade shifting and it's best to get the hanger aligned. Get the tool below. It is only $50 and is nearly identical to the more expensive Park Tool version. I own both and they work equally well. It is a handy tool to have because derailleur hangers getting hit is something that happens all the time. You'll be able to check your bike on a regular basis to keep it shifting well. It takes just a couple of minutes.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077SZBZ...roduct_details
Likes For Yan:
Old 08-29-22, 01:58 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Thanks for your response Yan. However, as I mentioned at the top:

1) I already have the park tool.

2) The hanger is fairly well aligned.

3) I'm quite confident that the tilt is being generated within the derailleur itself.
Old 08-29-22, 02:57 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 434 Posts
Did you check fore-aft hanger alignment in addition to top-bottom? That can also cause the cage to appear slanted.
Old 08-29-22, 03:37 PM
Harold74

Originally Posted by Yan
Did you check fore-aft hanger alignment in addition to top-bottom? That can also cause the cage to appear slanted.
Yup, 1/8th points around the whole circle.

I'm pretty sure that it's not he hanger alignment. Rather, it's the derailleur itself.

What I'm mostly interested in is whether or not this level of cage tilt is something warranting a fix or just the way that a broken in derailleur is.
Old 08-29-22, 03:57 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
If it shifts fine, enjoy a bit of extra clearance from the spokes.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 08-29-22, 04:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
I'm a bit of a nut for perfect shifting. The perfectionist in me wants my derailleur cages to be perfectly parallel to my cogs at all times. That pretty much is the case on a 105 short cage setup that I built in the spring. However, it is not the case on:

1) My wife's bike shown in the picture below which is a medium cage Tiagra 4700 RD
If the above is true, just buy another RD-4700-GS and keep this one as a backup.

Compare both and see if you can “tweak” the old one closer.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-31-22, 01:31 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Sometimes, through manufacturing defect, a derailleur cage has a twist to it. As the chain moves down the cluster the angle of the cage changes, and so does the angle of the chain as it enters the cage. To test this,shift to a noisy gear and tweak the cage at the tension pulley with the left hand while cranking with the right to see if the noise diminishes. If that works, make the tweak permanent by taking an adjustable wrench to it. Shifting to a gear that puts the cage fully vertical helps you eyeball your tweak.
Old 09-01-22, 08:00 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
I'd just grab the cage and try to straighten it manually, as John suggested. It's not that big a bend.
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-03-22, 01:22 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
This is a case where the only downside of the disease is the presenting symptoms. If it shifts well then you are not at risk of having that condition cause harm to the rest of the system. If you weren’t shifting well, or if the bend really bothers you, you could try to manually bend it straighter or swap the derailer.

When I get a scratch on the bumper of my car I leave it. My friend on the other hand sends it to the paint shop for repair. Both valid, just preference.