Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Cramps that won't go away

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 06:48 PM
ToiletSiphon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last weekend, I participated in another sport from 12 to 4 pm where I sweated like a pig. The problem is that the organizer forgot that we had to eat at some point, so the only thing I had in my body was two toasts and a banana that I ate at 8 am, and a bottle of water and a gatorade. It went as expected: as the day went by, my legs got heavier and heavier and started cramping. The day after, I could barely walk as my quads hurt too much. 5 days later, I'm still not ready to go back on my bike, despite my best efforts at stretching and a lot of (very painfull) foam roller. My legs lock up when I push too hard, like if I try to climb stairs very fast.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I had cramps before, but the pain never lasted this long. I'm out of idea to make them go away, is there some kind of magic way or am I stuck being carefull for the rest of the summer?
Old 07-11-14, 07:00 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you were sweating a lot, you probably got your electrolytes out of balance. Did you drink Gatorade or something similar afterward?

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-11-14, 07:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Even now ... take some electrolyte tablets and drink lots of water.
Old 07-11-14, 07:37 PM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One gatorade during, one after.
Old 07-12-14, 05:11 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon
One gatorade during, one after.
That's a start.

Have you been drinking lots of water since you experienced the cramping?
Old 07-12-14, 02:07 PM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apparently not enough... I would not say I drank more than usual.
Old 07-13-14, 02:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Apparently not enough... I would not say I drank more than usual.
At least 8 glasses of water per day?

That amount is debated, of course, but if you're experiencing ongoing cramping, you might aim for 8+ glasses of water a day for a while.
Old 07-13-14, 10:29 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Calcium tightens, magnesium loosens.

I have a problem with cramps, and every once in a while I need
to do a Mg soak. You can try this on the cheap with Epsom Salts (any drugstore and most supermarkets).
I combine that with....
Swanson Ultra Magnesium Chloride Flakes 2.2 lb (35.27 oz) Flakes - Swanson Health Products
Old 07-13-14, 11:47 AM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Last weekend......
Has anyone experienced something similar?
How old are you? I'm in my forties, and had an odd experience a couple of months ago.

I'd missed 2 days riding due to rain (I hate riding indoors; I usually happy to have days off when it's wet). The 3rd day was also wet, but even worse weather was forecast for the 4th day. There was no way I wanted to miss 4 consecutive days on the bike, so I went out hammering in the pissing rain on the 3rd day, coz it wasn't too cold (~17C/~ low 60sF).

My legs felt dead-ish/stiff for most of the 50-odd-kms, then quite sore as soon as I finished, and were very sore for about 4 days!! It was like the worst lactic pain I've ever had. I dunno if it was because I barely warmed up (I charged out of the gate because it was wet, so I could get warm straight away), or some strange effect the wet weather had on my legs.
Old 07-14-14, 06:14 AM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 531Aussie
How old are you? I'm in my forties, and had an odd experience a couple of months ago.

I'd missed 2 days riding due to rain (I hate riding indoors; I usually happy to have days off when it's wet). The 3rd day was also wet, but even worse weather was forecast for the 4th day. There was no way I wanted to miss 4 consecutive days on the bike, so I went out hammering in the pissing rain on the 3rd day, coz it wasn't too cold (~17C/~ low 60sF).

My legs felt dead-ish/stiff for most of the 50-odd-kms, then quite sore as soon as I finished, and were very sore for about 4 days!! It was like the worst lactic pain I've ever had. I dunno if it was because I barely warmed up (I charged out of the gate because it was wet, so I could get warm straight away), or some strange effect the wet weather had on my legs.
I'm 31 and in pretty good shape. Your experience is what describes best what I went through. No warm-up and a lot of sprints and short burts, which led to "dead" legs during the day, then very painfull / cramped legs the day after. It's been 8 days and my quads still haven't recovered completly, they are still full of knots, they lost a lot of flexibility and they feel like they want to cramp again as soon as I squat to pick something or run up the stairts.
Old 07-14-14, 11:38 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Was your pee unusually dark or brownish the day after? Are you getting enough protein? I don't think water or electrolytes has anything to do with it. The OP only exercised 4 hours. I did 15 hours day before yesterday in very unaccustomed heat and lost 3 lbs. But I'm fine today and didn't do anything special.
Old 07-15-14, 06:20 AM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ate a huge rack of ribs just after and drank a big chocolate milk. I don't think the proteins are the problem. Maybe I should have skipped the glass of wine tho.
The legs are getting better. The foam roller was not enough, I had a big progress when I switched to a pvc tube. Painfull at first, but a great relief after.
Old 07-16-14, 01:52 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
There's a kinda similar discussion here:

Extreme quadriceps starting pain after 3-4 rest days - CyclingNews Forum
Old 07-17-14, 07:17 AM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
8 days? See a doctor. Possible DVT.
Old 07-17-14, 07:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by valygrl
8 days? See a doctor. Possible DVT.
Good point! I know that possibility from experience. Good to catch it early.
Old 07-17-14, 07:16 PM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Good point! I know that possibility from experience. Good to catch it early.
Tell me more please... tho I don't think it's that since I have it in both of my legs and it's getting better every day. It better not be something that bad, I'm getting married in a week, oh god.

Last edited by ToiletSiphon; 07-17-14 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 07:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Tell me more please... tho I don't think it's that since I have it in both of my legs.
May 2009 - I cycled 1000 km that month and was feeling good.

Early June - long, long flight from Canada to Australia. The LA to Melbourne leg of the journey is usually about 17 hours, but ended up being an hour longer at either end because of a delay in take-off and a delay upon landing. I was squashed in beside a couple guys who didn't move, and I only got up once or twice during that flight. An hour before landing, my left calf felt like it cramped. Not a surprise, given that I had hardly moved in 19 hours. I figured I'd walk it off.

Mid-July - the "cramped calf" had not gone away, despite all my attempts at walking it off, stretching, etc. ... and was giving me pain all the way up the leg.

End-July - that leg was twice its size and I was in a lot of pain. I also couldn't breathe ... just getting up and walking across the room had me puffing and gasping for air like I had run up several flights of stairs. Rowan, my husband, rushed me to the Dr who rushed me into an ultrasound ... and the lady who did the ultrasound wouldn't let me leave the hospital. My left leg was full of clots. I was hospitalised for 2 weeks, and then put on Warfarin for a year.

Turns out I have a genetic predisposition to developing clots ... it could have happened on any flight at any time. It could even happen if I sit at a desk or on the sofa too long.

If, after 12 days now you're still experiencing "cramping" ... see a Dr. That's not normal. It might not be clots ... but it might be something else.
Old 07-17-14, 07:40 PM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok I'm in panic right now. My "other activity" was paintball. I came back from that full of welts. This fits too well.

Seriously the worst timing ever. **** **** ****.
Old 07-17-14, 07:57 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Ok I'm in panic right now. My "other activity" was paintball. I came back from that full of welts. This fits too well.

Seriously the worst timing ever. **** **** ****.
No need to panic. Just go to the Dr.

It's just that usually a cramp, even really bad ones, will be excruciatingly painful when they occur, and there may be a lingering ache a few days after, but then it goes away. Especially if you are drinking lots of water (your urine should be almost clear), consuming electrolytes, eating a decent diet, and remaining reasonably active (walking, easy cycling, etc.).

DOMS in another possibility, but it usually sets in a day or two after the event and lasts a day or two. Especially if you are drinking lots of water (your urine should be almost clear), consuming electrolytes, eating a decent diet, and remaining reasonably active (walking, easy cycling, etc.).

If you are still in quite a bit of pain 12 days later ... that's a concern. It might not be clots ... maybe it is a torn muscle or something else. But a doctor should be able to tell you ... or at least send you for testing.

But be sure to tell the Dr if you have flown recently or have been sitting for extended periods of time without getting up and moving around.
Old 07-19-14, 07:02 AM
ToiletSiphon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went to the doc yesterday. Nothing serious, my cramping is just à way for my legs to protect themselves since they were somewhat damaged by dehydration, exhaustion and bruises. He gave me muscular relaxants and they seem to help.
Old 07-23-14, 04:28 PM
Rhinelander
Coppista

Bikes: Bianchi

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never be afraid to ask if you spot an empty and better seat on a long flight. Avoid alcohol as such except for maybe one (1) glass of red wine if available. It's a great natural sleep-aid if consumed in that moderation and contains an enzyme (much higher in red wine than white) that helps in the breakdown of undesirable fats often found in "airport foods"...