Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem newbie

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-20, 12:56 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Tandem newbie

Just checking in to say hello. My wife and I are recent retiries. I use to ride but haven't recently. My wife was never really a rider. I was hoping to get back in the saddle and in order the ride with my wife I figured why not try a tandem. I ordered a fixed gear cruiser to give it a go because we had ridden one on the boardwalk in Santa Monica and got it moving anyway. My wife is excited about it she thinks it's cute. My goal is to get her interested and then upgrade. So hello again and I'll let you know how it goes
Likes For frankandbetsy@s:
Old 07-05-20, 03:47 PM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
Welcome. That sounds like a good plan. Our first tandem was a 5-speed cruiser made by Trailmate. That was 30+ years ago and we are on tandem number 3 and ride every day. My stoker had not ridden a bike much since childhood and I rode a lot. It took her a while to get acclimated to a tandem and even longer to really enjoy riding on a regular basis. Now, she thinks of it as one of the best parts of every day.

Unless you are knowledgeable about fit on a bike, think about going to a local bike shop to adjust the new tandem for each of you. Being comfortable can make a big difference in enjoyment level. If you search this forum for articles on the basics of riding a tandem, you will find some good material that will shorten the learning curve on things like starting and stopping, communicating, etc.

We rode our cruiser tandem until we started taking longer rides and the maintenance became impractical. That said, it was a great way to start out and we still have fond memories of that tandem.

Post a picture of your tandem. You will find that this is a great forum where you can post questions about anything (components, adjustments, captain/stoker issues, accessories, etc.) and get helpful input.

Look forward to hearing how y'all enjoy your new tandem.
Old 07-05-20, 09:58 PM
AbdurRehman

Bikes: Co-Motion Periscope 700 (2005) || Follis 1072 Tandem (1974) || Trek 1000 (2007)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome! Growing up, my stoker was also not a bike person whereas I grew up with mountain bikes and have been using road bikes at college and for work commutes.

Last year we found a 1974 French Follis Tandem that someone had kept in storage for a very long time. It was in rough shape but I wanted to try and fix it. We spent last summer restoring the bike back to health and then rode it for a year. It was our first tandem! Surprisingly my stoker fell in love with it more than I had expected and she fully transformed into a tandem-maniac.

A few weeks ago, we upgraded to 2005 Co-Motion Periscope 700 because we wanted to spend more time enjoying the rides than overhauling and maintaining a vintage bike. We still have the old Follis in ready-to-ride condition but have been thoroughly enjoying the newer tandem! The rides are more comfortable with less concern for bike maintenance and the stoker is excited about going further and further with each ride.

Hope it goes well for you too!
Likes For AbdurRehman:
Old 07-06-20, 05:22 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I don't have a picture because I just ordered it. I'll have to assemble it. It's that Kaluna cruise. Not sure who makes it. I was looking at the Kent Northwood tandem but she prefers this one. If she likes it I figured I can upgrade. Probably end up with 2 if this hobby takes off.
Old 07-06-20, 07:37 AM
MarkFrank

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by frankandbetsy@s
Thanks for the welcome. I don't have a picture because I just ordered it. I'll have to assemble it. It's that Kaluna cruise. Not sure who makes it. I was looking at the Kent Northwood tandem but she prefers this one. If she likes it I figured I can upgrade. Probably end up with 2 if this hobby takes off.
We did something similar recently but with electric bicycles. My wife loves the freedom (and not staring at my back side) and that she doesn't have to work nearly as hard as she would on a regular bike. It makes our couple rides much more enjoyable.
Old 07-08-20, 10:38 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Fixed gear? Are you sure it's not single-speed? I wouldn't try fixed with an inexperienced stoker, myself.

Anyway, hope you guys have lots of fun. My wife also is not really into cycling, she only learned to ride a bike as an adult so is very skittish on the road. Using the tandem allows her to get out on a bike. We love it, though we don't use it as much as I'd like. We test rode 5 tandems in one day, of course the first one we tested (that the seller recommended for us) was "the one", and we bought it on the spot.

For me, riding a tandem is quite different from riding my single. I find it refreshing, and it is great to have another thing to share with my wife after 24 years of marriage.

Get ready to hear "Hey, she's not pedaling back there!" Every. Single. Ride.
Old 07-08-20, 12:25 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
Fixed gear? Are you sure it's not single-speed? I wouldn't try fixed with an inexperienced stoker, myself.

Anyway, hope you guys have lots of fun. My wife also is not really into cycling, she only learned to ride a bike as an adult so is very skittish on the road. Using the tandem allows her to get out on a bike. We love it, though we don't use it as much as I'd like. We test rode 5 tandems in one day, of course the first one we tested (that the seller recommended for us) was "the one", and we bought it on the spot.

For me, riding a tandem is quite different from riding my single. I find it refreshing, and it is great to have another thing to share with my wife after 24 years of marriage.

Get ready to hear "Hey, she's not pedaling back there!" Every. Single. Ride.
What's the difference fixed gear or single speed?
Old 07-08-20, 01:36 PM
noimagination

What's the difference fixed gear or single speed?
Fixed gear means that the pedals go 'round when the wheels go 'round. No coasting. If you stop pedaling, the wheel stops (or your feet fly off the pedals and the pedals bang your legs as they whirl around, or your knees blow out, or other bad things).
Single speed means that there is one speed, no changing of gears. There is a ratchet mechanism in the hub, so you can coast.

Not all single speed bikes are fixed.
All fixed gear bikes are single speed.

The following is a technical distinction that is not relevant to your question, ignore it if you wish: all fixed are single speed when in use. There exist flip-flop hubs with different gears on either side of the wheel, sometimes one of the gears is not fixed so in use one gear is fixed and the other is not, meaning that gear in use is a single speed, not a fixed gear.
Old 07-08-20, 02:03 PM
jethro00

I see this in response to a question on the Amazon page for the bike that has been ordered (Kahuna Lua Tandem):
"it will apply brakes if you back peddle."
That will take some getting used to, but that is the type of bike many of us first had as kids. I believe our first tandem (Trailmate) was like that. They will get the hang of it after whacking their legs a time or two when their feet come off the pedals Keep in kind, this is a starter tandem to see if a tandem works well for them. It should do okay for that purpose and they can make decisions from there.
Since the pedals will keep turning when feet come off the pedals, learning effective communication from the beginning will help. If you search this forum for articles on the basics of riding a tandem, you will find some good material on communicating (e.g., riders up, push, bump, hold, stop, etc.). One thing we have learned (35+ years) is to avoid saying "go" or "no," which can sound similar with ambient noise. Maybe someone could reply with a link to communications for beginners or with their own list.

The Kahuna has a nice look to it. You will find that you will make people smile when you pass by and you will, hopefully, find your inner child when you ride.
Likes For jethro00:
Old 07-08-20, 07:40 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Yes it's a single gear I can see a fixed gear being a problem. She doesn't ride so we can't ride singles together. So just getting this to have some fun with the wife on the canal trail maybe ride to the beach. Hopefully we do get some smiles. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-09-20, 07:59 AM
noimagination

Since you already tried a tandem and your wife is excited about riding it, I'm pretty confident that you'll get some enjoyment out of it. Just keep in mind the one great secret to successful tandeming: the stoker is always right.
Old 07-09-20, 08:38 AM
jethro00

<<Just keep in mind the one great secret to successful tandeming: the stoker is always right.>>
One of the keys to getting someone who is not used to biking to initially enjoy being a stoker on a tandem (which can be little scary due to lack of control) is to give positive reinforcement in the beginning, and to avoid critical comments if at all possible. So, when she wobbles back-and-forth in the early going or puts back pressure on the pedals, try to avoid saying anything. Then, when she doesn't wobble for a while, you can compliment her that she seems to be getting the hang of it and isn't even wobbling back there. Never under estimate the power of positive reinforcement to encourage participation in the activity.
Likes For jethro00:
Old 07-09-20, 10:04 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Better to say nothing. Got it.
Old 07-14-20, 10:38 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Good news. Got an email the bike will be delivered early. I'm thinking of adding a front hand break and a front wheel quick release. Any other modifications I should think about ?
Old 07-14-20, 11:59 AM
jethro00

I don't see a kickstand in the pic on Amazon. Is one included? If not, see:
https://www.amazon.com/Pletscher-Two-...-1&tag=mh0b-20

We have a one-leg kickstand on one tandem and one of these two-leg kickstands on the other tandem. Two-leg is really nice.
Old 07-14-20, 12:35 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks not sure it has a kickstand. Will get the double. I'm thinking quick release on the seat posts as well
Old 07-14-20, 06:54 PM
jethro00

I am not sure it is worth changing the seat posts to quick release initially unless you plan to remove the seats for transport or unless different riders will be using the bike. Other than that, you'll get them adjusted initially and probably leave them alone. Now, I don't see a bell on that bike. A tandem like that needs a good looking bell. There are lots to choose from. They are a safety feature and fun too. Every now and again, someone isn't looking where they are walking, so I give them a good ring of my bell. About once a week, we see a tandem trike with a father and adult son with special needs. We give each other a little bell ring.
Old 08-07-20, 06:51 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Well the bike showed up finally. I put it together. Going out on our maiden ride today so I'll check back in to say how it went
Old 08-09-20, 09:42 AM
jethro00

Aug.7, 2020: <<Going out on our maiden ride today so I'll check back in to say how it went>>
"Did he ever return?
No he never returned
And his fate is still unlearn'd . . ."
Likes For jethro00:
Old 08-09-20, 10:05 AM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just got back. First ride was on the Pequonnock River Trail. We did the first section and it worked out great. The tips you all have and some YouTube videos were great. We practiced starting and stopping and the communication thing. Yesterday we tried the trolley trail it was hilly which was a little tricky starting on an uphill. We found it best to walk it over also some crossings we walked it across. We are going to do some sections of the Farmington canal trail also
Old 08-09-20, 01:49 PM
jethro00

<<Yesterday we tried the trolley trail it was hilly which was a little tricky starting on an uphill. We found it best to walk it over also some crossings we walked it across. >>
Glad to hear it went well. You are wise to walk it when it makes you or your stoker more comfortable. Stay safe and make sure your stoker has plenty of time to get comfortable and confident riding back there without much control. Remember, she has unfettered access to your kidneys when you are riding
Old 08-10-20, 11:46 AM
AbdurRehman

Bikes: Co-Motion Periscope 700 (2005) || Follis 1072 Tandem (1974) || Trek 1000 (2007)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good news. Got an email the bike will be delivered early. I'm thinking of adding a front hand break and a front wheel quick release. Any other modifications I should think about ?
Depending on how far you're riding, you may want to consider getting water bottle mounts on the bike. We've been trying to go on longer and longer rides and having two bottles have been great. Might even get more mounts for increased hydration capacity.
Someone has already mentioned a bell above; we've found ours very useful especially when crossing large groups of pedestrians or cyclists.
Lastly, a rear-view mirror is great to keep an eye out on vehicles when maneuvering on roads or to look out for other cyclists as they overtake you.
Happy tandeming!
Old 08-10-20, 12:32 PM
frankandbetsy@s

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I did get a bell but it's not very loud. I think I'll mount that one for my stoker and get another. Is it hard to mount a front hand break and a front wheel disconnect. I'll research mirrors. Thanks
Old 08-10-20, 01:04 PM
AbdurRehman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
...Is it hard to mount a front hand break and a front wheel disconnect. I'll research mirrors. Thanks
You may be able to mount a caliper brake on the front (may have to remove the front fender). These brakes are commonly found on road bikes and are mounted on the front of the fork where the fender is currently screwed in place.

As for the quick release skewer (QR), it may require more work since your existing threaded axles will need to be replaced. Threaded axles like the ones on your bike don't have a hollow pass through necessary for QR. It's a modification that a LBS should be able to make for you easily but only if you intend to take the front wheel off/on frequently. Otherwise the threaded axle should be fine for an occasional tune up or flat repair. Here's some more info: https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...-to-qr-skewers

You could also hold off on any add-ons for a future higher end tandem. Use this one as is to see if you enjoy tandeming and then get an upgraded bike with QR, multi-speed gearing, and other add-ons (bottle holder mounts, louder bells, mirrors, lights, pump, etc.)

We have a mirror from this company (https://www.mirrycle.com/product-category/mirrors/) on our bike shown below. Generally I check-in with my stoker before maneuvering out into the streets or roads to make sure everything is clear behind us. It also helps to keep my front drop handle bars relatively less cluttered.

Last edited by AbdurRehman; 08-10-20 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 02:01 PM
jethro00

We do not use a mirror. For years, I used to turn and look. Then, we moved to the stoker turning and looking and reporting. I think she likes having some responsibility and control. Some people really like mirrors and some don't. Given the low cost, it's worth trying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.