Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Worst Commute EVER

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Worst Commute EVER

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 02:19 PM
gitarzan
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hate seeing that kinda crap. I'm from Coumbus, too. Fear of this is exactly why I don't ride to work. It would be an easy ride, but thru hood, almost all the way.

From your description it sounds like the near east side. My guess is Long Street. Probably the idiot who slugged first needed to prove something, and the rest piled on to show they were tough too. Really just a bunch of idiots.

I'm glad you ar basically OK, What kind of bike was it?
Old 01-10-10, 02:20 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Also, it seems the local news outlets might be interested in this story. Especially in light of the incident last year where the bicyclist was killed by a truck. And the city's current campaign for more bike lanes, bike commuters, etc...
Old 01-10-10, 02:21 PM
macteacher

Bikes: Specialized FSR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow...these hoods really do exist... and here I thought it was just in movie land where you saw the 'hoods'.

What about moving to a nicer area? Is it possible? Can you manage a move in the opposite direction?

In fact if you feel brave enough to post the location, i'd be curious to see what it looks like via google street view
Old 01-10-10, 02:23 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've ridden through a lot of "bad" neighborhoods in Columbus. This sounds like a tragic incident. Hopefully CPD follows up on this. I hope this doesn't keep anyone from riding in our City, it's a great place to ride.
Old 01-10-10, 02:33 PM
stanridgespeed 

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like Long and 22nd

Long and 22nd. Whats odd is i think this is a block away from the fire station? I could be totally wrong. I ride the 16 and go past this place on a regular basis.

Did i just sell you an Ionos? I sent you a PM. I can set you up with some parts from the shop at a very steep discount to get you back up and going again. Sorry to hear this.

Adam
Old 01-10-10, 02:33 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by macteacher
Wow...these hoods really do exist... and here I thought it was just in movie land where you saw the 'hoods'.

What about moving to a nicer area? Is it possible? Can you manage a move in the opposite direction?

In fact if you feel brave enough to post the location, i'd be curious to see what it looks like via google street view

I think I know the neighborhood and I would hate to see one bad incident color judgement against it. A number of our urban neighborhoods would probably be considered hoods by those making a judgement on apparence alone. Most, once you start talking to neighbors, have a pretty engaged community trying to increase safety, spur development, start blockwatches and promote a community.
Old 01-10-10, 02:49 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by ZmanKC
I don't even know what to say. This sickens me.
Me either. I was expecting some problem with the weather, a flat tire or something like that. Hope things get better for you.
Old 01-10-10, 03:16 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by politicalgeek
I think I know the neighborhood and I would hate to see one bad incident color judgement against it. A number of our urban neighborhoods would probably be considered hoods by those making a judgement on apparence alone. Most, once you start talking to neighbors, have a pretty engaged community trying to increase safety, spur development, start blockwatches and promote a community.
And I would hate for this to happen to me.

All the things you are saying are fine, but the only way I know to prevent this is to avoid typical problem areas. Say what you might about what the community is trying to do, and I wish them well, but the statistics are available online to show which areas have the most crime, and what types of crimes. Sure, it could happen anywhere, but things do happen more often in some areas than others.
Old 01-10-10, 03:24 PM
jtwilson

Bikes: CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys have made some very accurate guesses. It happened between Five Brothers Market and Figaros Pizza at the intersection of Long St. and Champion Ave. Just to the north of there is the Poindexter Village where I believe these guys are from, based on the foot traffic I ususally see coming to and from there.

I would agree that the neighborhood shouldn't be judged on this isolated incident, but it is a unique area of town for sure. Between Long St to the north and Main St to the south there are residents of all levels of income, and on my block the neighbors aren't all strangers - good folks in general. On either side of that north-south boundary are some really rough areas though.

Ultimately I should have considered it would be better to avoid the corner store on a Friday evening, but I had never seen a crowd like this, or even been slightly harassed beyond being asked for change. I think I will start riding on Broad St more when I'm east of Hamilton Ave.

The bike was a black Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw with a silver triple crankset and black rear derailleur. It had a rear rack with yellow Ortlieb pannier, front and rear fenders, Nokian W106 studded tires, shallow drop bars with gray handlebar tape. This bike meant so much more to me than just the utility it served me and the money put into it. On the down tube was a sticker from Mammoth Cave National Park - this bike took me on an epic solo tour there and back over a couple weeks last summer. The sentimental value is the biggest bummer of losing it.

Second to losing the bike, the next biggest disappointment is the human nature factor - the absolute senseless and barbaric nature of it. I am considering contacting local media. My only concern is that the effect might be to scare more people away from cycling, or from visiting or living in more mixed areas of town. On the other hand, awareness needs to be raised for attention to be paid to problems in the community.

Originally Posted by stanridgespeed
Sounds like Long and 22nd. Whats odd is i think this is a block away from the fire station? I could be totally wrong. I ride the 16 and go past this place on a regular basis.

Did i just sell you an Ionos? I sent you a PM. I can set you up with some parts from the shop at a very steep discount to get you back up and going again. Sorry to hear this.
Adam, yeah I did buy your Ionos recently. Nice helmet! Luckily it and my road bike were safe and sound at home during this incident. I think I have just about everything I really need to get my back-up commuting bike in service for the immediate term too. I really appreciate the offer though!

Back to the wrenching...
Old 01-10-10, 03:53 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long & Champion? Just mapped it... Yeah, I tend to stay on Broad, more traffic, more cars, sure but feels more public and oddly safer. I'm really sorry about what happened to you, man... I'm definitely going to be on higher alert for large crowds just ******** around on my commutes, just as I do for weekend rides during "buckeye season" (drunk "fans" don't always take too kindly to a guy in spandex on a fancy road bike.

Hope everything goes okay and soon we'll get our butts out there for some epic rides soon!

Last edited by Tsuru; 01-10-10 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 03:57 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
And I would hate for this to happen to me.

All the things you are saying are fine, but the only way I know to prevent this is to avoid typical problem areas. Say what you might about what the community is trying to do, and I wish them well, but the statistics are available online to show which areas have the most crime, and what types of crimes. Sure, it could happen anywhere, but things do happen more often in some areas than others.
I won't disagree with that and I do try to post these incidents locally to keep other cyclists aware . Just looking at the stats, though, this is only the second major assault I've heard or read of in the last 1-2 years on a cyclist. A good deal of the crime in these areas tends to be related to drugs or gangs. Steer clear of that and you typically won't have an issue.

I'm not telling anyone to go waltzing in these areas. I'm glad the OP is doing OK and getting back on the horse. It's good to be aware of what can happen and learn how to avoid it.
Old 01-10-10, 03:59 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtwilson
You guys have made some very accurate guesses. It happened between Five Brothers Market and Figaros Pizza at the intersection of Long St. and Champion Ave. Just to the north of there is the Poindexter Village where I believe these guys are from, based on the foot traffic I ususally see coming to and from there.

I would agree that the neighborhood shouldn't be judged on this isolated incident, but it is a unique area of town for sure. Between Long St to the north and Main St to the south there are residents of all levels of income, and on my block the neighbors aren't all strangers - good folks in general. On either side of that north-south boundary are some really rough areas though.

Ultimately I should have considered it would be better to avoid the corner store on a Friday evening, but I had never seen a crowd like this, or even been slightly harassed beyond being asked for change. I think I will start riding on Broad St more when I'm east of Hamilton Ave.

The bike was a black Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw with a silver triple crankset and black rear derailleur. It had a rear rack with yellow Ortlieb pannier, front and rear fenders, Nokian W106 studded tires, shallow drop bars with gray handlebar tape. This bike meant so much more to me than just the utility it served me and the money put into it. On the down tube was a sticker from Mammoth Cave National Park - this bike took me on an epic solo tour there and back over a couple weeks last summer. The sentimental value is the biggest bummer of losing it.

Second to losing the bike, the next biggest disappointment is the human nature factor - the absolute senseless and barbaric nature of it. I am considering contacting local media. My only concern is that the effect might be to scare more people away from cycling, or from visiting or living in more mixed areas of town. On the other hand, awareness needs to be raised for attention to be paid to problems in the community.

Adam, yeah I did buy your Ionos recently. Nice helmet! Luckily it and my road bike were safe and sound at home during this incident. I think I have just about everything I really need to get my back-up commuting bike in service for the immediate term too. I really appreciate the offer though!

Back to the wrenching...
I've posted this on Yay Bikes! and Columbus Underground to get the awareness up. I think both groups will see it as such rather than shying away from these areas and cycling.
Old 01-10-10, 04:13 PM
miket.

Bikes: trek 4300, optimized for utility and commuting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they just had a big community meeting at the lincoln theatre about reducing violence, maybe you could get in touch with the organization that put that on if you are having doubts about going through the media. I understand how a big news story could keep potential cyclists off the streets but the community should be made aware somehow.
I think i saw pics of your summer tour on the Yaybikes website, I hope you get that bike back. I'll be on the lookout. Pawnshops would probably be a good bet too.
Old 01-10-10, 04:16 PM
turtlemilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BUY A GUN.... If you can buy a 2000$ bike then buy a 1000$ USP SOCOM TACTICAL AND LEARN TO USE THE DAMN THING... get a Laser, get a LED flash light... your gun should have been out pointed at them the instant you hit the ground..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

I am in EX-street fighter, I been in 300 fights, you get me on the ground legs will be getting broke. i am trained in MUAY THAI and the DEADLY ART of MUAY BORAN...there is not much you could do to hurt me... not even a group...

Last edited by turtlemilk; 01-10-10 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 04:49 PM
Bioflamingo
Bike Collector

Bikes: 1983 Trek 560

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by turtlemilk
BUY A GUN.... If you can buy a 2000$ bike then buy a 1000$ USP SOCOM TACTICAL AND LEARN TO USE THE DAMN THING... get a Laser, get a LED flash light... your gun should have been out pointed at them the instant you hit the ground..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

I am in EX-street fighter, I been in 300 fights, you get me on the ground legs will be getting broke. i am trained in MUAY THAI and the DEADLY ART of MUAY BORAN...there is not much you could do to hurt me... not even a group...
I'd be scared that if I pulled a gun half of them would pull guns as well. I'm a decent fighter, but I don't think I'd be able to dodge bullets or fight off a dozen guys with knives at once. More than likely I'd run away.

Perhaps if I had a gun I'd use it after I got a ways down the road from behind cover. Going Rambo on a group of thugs wouldn't work out well imo, but a couple well placed shots would send them running and leave the bike lying on the street to be reclaimed by its rightful owner.

Great song btw, loved it
Old 01-10-10, 04:59 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you conceal a gun in spandex?
Old 01-10-10, 05:25 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I hope you get back on the bike your building soon jtwilson. Also spread the word and talk to people on Craigslist, bike shops, coops and whatever about the bike and the incident. Hopefully you have a picture as well. The more people looking out the better and that includes the cops.

I wouldn't worry about bringing attention to this incident and discouraging others. I'd rather other cyclist be aware and safe than someone else to ride through and have something similar happen.

Also to other posters about bringing a gun, did you miss the part about him not being able to bring it to work. Even though he has a Concealed weapons permit, is an instructor, and a member of the NRA. In my opinion he did the right thing, he got home. Unfortunately this incident prevented him from coming home with his bike and without harm.
Old 01-10-10, 05:49 PM
kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like this thread is getting way off track, and I'm not quite sure if some are serious or not but...

My condolences, but I'm glad you are still up and walking!
I've had the fear of being harassed in some parts of town where I live. Looks like I stick to driving when the conditions don't favor me.
Old 01-10-10, 06:05 PM
turtlemilk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what's the point of wearing spandex? I can see the since of wearing shorts... but a shirt? and its too cold to not be wearing a jacket... you could carry a man purse... or one of those stupid bags that go around your waist..... you could also wear a vest.. with the gun hidden in it..

here is a cool bicycle VEST that tells cars behind you your speed... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aCVw...layer_embedded

I am not sure on the laws...but the job CAN NOT search your vehicle.. that includes a bicycle too.. but you should be able to carry a small safe type of box on your bike to lock the gun in.... lock the box to the bike...
Old 01-10-10, 06:42 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Its not about guns, spandex, workplace rights or whatever. It's about jtwilson being assaulted, healing up, and hopefully preventing this sort of senseless act from happening again.
Old 01-10-10, 07:07 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by politicalgeek
I won't disagree with that and I do try to post these incidents locally to keep other cyclists aware . Just looking at the stats, though, this is only the second major assault I've heard or read of in the last 1-2 years on a cyclist. A good deal of the crime in these areas tends to be related to drugs or gangs. Steer clear of that and you typically won't have an issue.

I'm not telling anyone to go waltzing in these areas. I'm glad the OP is doing OK and getting back on the horse. It's good to be aware of what can happen and learn how to avoid it.
Yes. A lot of it is related to drugs and gangs. I submit that is the reason that few people ride through the area at night on bicycles.

Seriously. Really. In all seriousness. Can you really argue otherwise?

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you, but we both live here, and this seems obvious.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But, you had better have a really good argument.
Old 01-10-10, 07:09 PM
joepeffer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live down the street from where this happened to you. I love our neighborhood but things like this really blemish every good that's taken place over the years. I hope you heal well and wish you a speedy recovery. I'd like to know what the bike looks like so I can call it in when should I see it anywhere.
Old 01-10-10, 07:16 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waynesworld
Yes. A lot of it is related to drugs and gangs. I submit that is the reason that few people ride through the area at night on bicycles.

Seriously. Really. In all seriousness. Can you really argue otherwise?

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you, but we both live here, and this seems obvious.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But, you had better have a really good argument.
No, I think you and are largely on the same page.
Old 01-10-10, 07:16 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Man, I got part way through your story and had to check to see if you live in New Orleans. That stuff happens here on a daily basis. Good thing you got out of there under your own power. I don't think I could take a punch like that and still have my wits.

Perhaps a few of them will kill each other over your beloved bike before you recover it. Your cops have to be better than ours at recovering stolen stuff.

I don't know what else to say. Bummer.
Old 01-10-10, 07:19 PM
Tsuru
Bromptoneer

Bikes: Brompton S2L

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joepeffer
I live down the street from where this happened to you. I love our neighborhood but things like this really blemish every good that's taken place over the years. I hope you heal well and wish you a speedy recovery. I'd like to know what the bike looks like so I can call it in when should I see it anywhere.
+1

Great point joe... jt, can you post a pic of the bike? I'll keep an eye out too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.