Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Old 05-20-10, 10:57 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
65er,
That photo of your girl lacing the hub is most definitely the coolest photo I have seen on BF yet.

I think I was about 12-13 when I laced my first wheel. I bent the rim on my 68 Sears Screamer II muscle bike with 3 speed hub, so I bought a rim and some spare spokes and tackled it after talking with the LBS. I didn't have any manual (or internet). I just used the rim on my buddy's Sears Gremlin as a reference.

I also like that Saffron. After riding my Twenty, some older Dahons and a few different new Dahons, I much prefer smaller wheeled bikes for city riding. You just can't beat the manueverabilty of them. I posted some pics of my Twenty on the Dahon forum and they easily see how relevant it's geometry remains to this day. It not much of a folder, but it is a hell of a bike.
Old 05-21-10, 08:16 AM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Sorry if I've said this before, but it bears repeating: The one three speed I like even more than the Raleigh is the Rudge. There's something about it. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the fork crown.
Or the chain ring...
Old 05-21-10, 07:35 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
Or the chain ring...
+1!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-21-10, 08:30 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
Or the chain ring...
Definitely the chainring
Old 05-22-10, 10:04 AM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It actually lays rubber

65er you are an inspiration. Usually my son invites himself into the shop while I'm desperately up to elbows in obstreperous fiddly bits and he starts rearranging precious delicate machinery with grit precipitating from the folds of his tunic until I extricate myself long enough to invite him to the designated playing zone with both hands... ah, put 'em to work, good idea

I managed to find "Kool Stop"s at LBS - most of them didn't realize they were there collecting dust on a far shelf. One style only, so I carved it with a sharp blade to fit under the fork on the front. Anything at all would fit the back. This is on my '84 Sports. The rear one appears misaligned in the photo, but under application the combination of forces [including the application pressure against tapered rim] forces it into alignment.

Wow, I never saw a Raleigh stop like that It actually lays rubber

Front:

Rear:

Old 05-24-10, 10:44 AM
Fir

Bikes: Scott Lightflight MTB, Raleigh Sports 3 spd, Rocky Mountain Hammer, Raleigh Twenty 3 spd, Eaton's Glider 3 spd, CCM Galaxie ladies, CCM arch-frame mens missing model name, Miyata Terra Runner, numerous waggons, and various hulks begging restoratio...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happy

Happy Victoria Day
Old 05-24-10, 10:52 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
Victoria day is a good day for a pottle on the old three speed which I used yesterday a a good bit too... the '54 will be one of the characters in an upcoming stage play and a good number of my other bicycles will be used as props and for display at the theatre.

I am also the technical consultant for all things bike related as the play is set in an old bike shop and some of the bicycles that get used in the play will need some tuning up and I need to train the hero (a bike mechanic) so he can do small repairs during the show.
Old 05-24-10, 01:06 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Bullet Train to Edmonton

Kewl, we loove live theatre. What's it called? Wish there were a bullet train to Edmonton. '54 is a Rudge?

I gotta overturn the gardens pronto and get some little green things in there. Before the predicted monsoons return... And putting a Bell baby seat on the Twenty instead of the Pletscher. 700+ g (+plastics) instead of 500g. Curious to see how it will handle that. And a 22t cog.

Do you know of the Caravan Theatre Co in Armstrong? They did Macbeth one time and had one of the characters totally shoe a horse on stage while delivering his lines. He was really good; it was fascinating. - it was a live horse though, right way up.

Why do we only get Victoria's day off? Why not all the others?
Old 05-24-10, 04:16 PM
Roll-Monroe-Co

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Just saw this today....its modern but definitely with a Classic Style.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Co...10/5360047080/

Wow. A modern bike with absolutely nothing objectionable about it. There /has/ to be a catch.
Old 05-24-10, 04:31 PM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Fugly handlebars and a $1200 USD bike with no history?
Old 05-24-10, 04:38 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Fir
Kewl, we loove live theatre. What's it called? Wish there were a bullet train to Edmonton. '54 is a Rudge?
The play is being staged by Workshop West who's rehearsal hall can be seen from my front step... it is called Spoke Song and is set in a 1970's Dublin bicycle shop and has a number of overlapping story lines.

Frank is the bike shop owner who wants more than nothing to see his fellow citizens re-discover the joy of cycling in a city that is becoming more and more car centric and is also courting the hand of a fair young lady... he actually sounds a lot like me.

It speaks to the troubles of that time and the political strife and bombings that went on during the 70's...

And it spans back to the turn of the last century and tells the story of his grandparents who first opened the little bike shop after the war...

It has a bit of everything... and a lot of bicycles !

I received one of these bicycles and this one has a starring role...

It is running at the end of June and will play during our bike month which is an epic festival in itself... it would be worth the trip to take in the festivities and the play... which may go on the road.
Old 05-24-10, 08:05 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"I received one of these bicycles" - you make it sound so easy to find things...

That's a beauty tandem. I almost asked what does the stoker do with their hands, but in the context of that dramatic plot I will just let the imagination run... It almost looks like chrome rim on the front and aluminum on the back? Vinyl seat on the back?

Cannot find 'Spoke Song' on Workshop West's site. Would there be some nice accommodation around there, B&Bs or suchlike?

Do you listen to Michael Enright of a Sunday Morning? His opening monologue this week was about the urban war for real estate between bikes and cars and how drivers- well, we just caught the end of it. I will look for the podcast; can link it here if anyone is interested.

OMG I just put 'Salmon Kool Stops' on my [wife's] Twenty. There're skid marks up and down our block now. Well I had to try it out. It seems to stop harder than the Sports now. The Weinmann arms do bend some, but hopefully there won't be any permanent distortion.
Old 05-24-10, 08:24 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I haven't gotten around to greasing the cables on my Twenty yet, but at 215# and a few panic stops I haven't managed to bend the calipers...yet!

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-24-10, 09:20 PM
kingfish254

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Fir;10860707That's a beauty tandem. I almost asked what does the stoker do with their hands, but in the context of that dramatic plot I will just let the imagination run... .[/QUOTE]

Maybe the play is a romantic comedy and the stoker is supposed to grap on to the driver's love handles.
Old 05-24-10, 11:01 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The tandem is a few cm too tall for me to ride with my saddle up another 2 inches so the stoker's bars were removed... other than that the position up top is perfect and I can stand over the bike.

Since I work with a custom builder am sure we can put a mount at a lower position and fit the stoker's bars... my oldest daughter shold be able to ride as she is a long legged lass and am looking forward to riding with another stoker.

Spent some time replacing old worn cables and housings and set up the brakes properly.... with the rear drum and Mafac synched up the bike can do mad skids and the front braking is astonishingly good.

Will be looking at replacing the 27's with 700's... I have a gorgeous 40 spoke tandem wheel for the front and will lace up a new rear with a monster rim.

Rode the bike 20km today and it rolls out and rides beautifully.
Old 05-28-10, 02:16 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you Ride your "ETS" in the Rain?

Would that be "ETS" or "E3S" or "ETSs"?

I bought my Sports thinking it would be great for rain and snow. Now I got used to it, it seems too nice a bike to be subjected to rainy streets . And they aren't making any more of them. Oh well, back to the fenderless Mtb today. Thank God for rain gear...
Old 05-28-10, 02:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

I built up my old Sports as a working / rain bike but have yet to see any real rain... have now shellacked the bars to protect the cork and make it easy to keep them clean.

Built another rain bike... a 1975 Peugeot UO8 that is fully fendered and think this will be my primary rain bike and will use the Raleigh as my back up rain bike.

Both bikes are amazing to ride and am thinking my tricked out hybrid is going to collect dust now.
Old 05-28-10, 02:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
I love UO8's and Sportses, but I can't lump them in the same category. Not even close.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-28-10, 03:25 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by noglider
I love UO8's and Sportses, but I can't lump them in the same category. Not even close.
As stock these are very different bicycles...

The UO8 is a touring / road bike and is much lighter, not quite as stiff, and has quirky French parts instead of quirky Raleigh threaded parts.

The Sports was made to be run for 100 years, is tough as nails (and made from the same carbon steel), and is very utilitarian and upright... it does however share the same geometry and steel as the Raleigh Grand Prix which runs on road wheels.

My converted Sports and UO8 have similar configurations in that they are both road bikes with nice alloy wheels and alloy parts and are pretty close to the same weight with the UO8 having a slight edge there... the gearing range is also very similar as the 3 speed does what the 6 speed does in much bigger steps.

The UO8 is faster and shares the same nice ride quality while the Sports is stiffer and a little quicker in the handling department... when the UO8 gets 12 speeds it will be a no contest in the speed and climbing department as it will simply have a better gear range.

But I love em both.
Old 05-28-10, 06:25 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any pix handy?

Are you getting monsoons there like we are here? Barely stopped raining all day They said it was the rainiest May in (whatever it was, since the ark or the dinosaurs or Doofenbeaker or something)

How about you Tom? Always sunny in New Jersey, right?
Old 05-28-10, 06:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

We have been having the driest spring since Doofenbeaker.

Got a little drizzle today and things cooled off a fair bit.
Old 05-28-10, 07:05 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Under[wear] Statement

Cooled off!? Im hunting for my woolies and Stanfields...

Last edited by Fir; 05-28-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-28-10, 07:15 PM
Fir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What music suits your favrit ETS (Engglish Thr33 Sp33d) ?

Touring along the river trail the other day on our 40+1/12th yr old Twenty, and "Ferry Cross the Mersey" rolling through my head with little dude in the newly affixed rumble seat. Sunshine all the way. Commuting doesn't get any better. Song by 'Gerry and the Pacemakers.' released in 1964 according to Wikipedia. Pat Metheny has a version of that song too.

What music do other people hear when they ride their vintage machines?
Old 05-28-10, 08:17 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

The cold and drizle could not dampen my spirits today as I received another frame... a very loooong frame.

It won't be a three speed but it will seat two... the dimensions are perfect for me up front and the rear is an ingenious convertible design that will fit my 10 and 12 year old daughters as well as my soon to be wife.

When I ride my three speed I hear this music... you just have to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1KxPjh4RM
Old 05-28-10, 08:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 507 Post(s)
Quoted: 7251 Post(s)
Liked 2,322 Times in 1,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
As stock these are very different bicycles...

The UO8 is a touring / road bike and is much lighter, not quite as stiff, and has quirky French parts instead of quirky Raleigh threaded parts.

{... and on and on and on ...}

I know all that stuff. Yet I prompted you to write all that because you write it so well. I could read your descriptions of bikes all day.

Fir, sunny in New Jersey? Are you kidding? We have a varied climate, but it's usually cold or hot or humid or raining or blowing hard or ... We really have only a few very nice days a year here.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.