Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Columbus, OH short north area. Which lbs should I send my sister to?

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 04:55 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts

My sister in Columbus got her first flat, both the tube and tire are toast. I live in Canton but I offered to drive down and teach her how to do it.

She may not want to wait until I can get to Columbus. She lives in the short north just off high street, can anyone recommend a good shop to send her to? I know there is a Co-op near where she lives, can she go there?

I tried to explain how to over the phone but I get all these terrible visions of unseated beads and want to make sure it's done right. It's a rear tire too and I am guessing the derailleur could cause a small problem for her. Ideally I would like to teach her how to in person but I need back up plans.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 05-21-10, 04:42 PM
CvilleSam
Go away old man winter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Paradise Garage- 941 North High between 2nd and Price, Its a good mom&pop shop.

Alliteratively she could go to the Co-op, they can help as well.
Old 05-21-10, 08:22 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Thanks, I forwarded the name and address of the shop to her. I assumed the Co-op would require a membership from her.
Old 05-21-10, 08:36 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B1 is also a good shop if she is in the downtown area. Long and 3rd. Casey, the shop owner, is a great guy as is the rest of the staff.

The co-op has a membership-$25 or 4 hours of volunteer time-that gives you voting privileges, priority stand time and a few other perks. Anyone can simply walk in and get time during open shop. They've also started a women's/trans only night on, I believe, Thursday nights.

Your sister should also check out the Sunday Night Ladies Ride and the Women's Cycling Forum coming up. More information if you search around Yay Bikes!
Old 05-22-10, 06:07 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I also like those two shops. Paradise Garage seems nice, just from my browsing there. And someone recently posted somewhere on BF about a positive experience there. I have not used their services myself.

B1 I have used, and they are very good. It is a small shop, and appears to have only a very few people doing mechanical work. And these guys are serious cyclists and "cyclocross geeks", as one of them explained to me. I like B1 a lot and trust them with my bike.
Old 05-22-10, 07:12 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Thank you very much guys. I just talked to her and she was glad for the recommendations. Her bike is nothing great, just an old yellow huffy that I sent down with her. At the time I overhauled it, I stuck an old Campagnolo sticker on the downtube for a chuckle. Apparently on of the shop employees noticed and got a laugh as well.

I will let her know about the Sunday ride and Co-op usage, those both sound great. IIRC, the co-op is walking distance from her apartment.
Old 05-24-10, 10:44 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by politicalgeek
B1 is also a good shop if she is in the downtown area. Long and 3rd. Casey, the shop owner, is a great guy as is the rest of the staff.

The co-op has a membership-$25 or 4 hours of volunteer time-that gives you voting privileges, priority stand time and a few other perks. Anyone can simply walk in and get time during open shop. They've also started a women's/trans only night on, I believe, Thursday nights.

Your sister should also check out the Sunday Night Ladies Ride and the Women's Cycling Forum coming up. More information if you search around Yay Bikes!
The women's/trans only night seems very Columbus to me. There seems to be a higher level of acceptance for others, just me impression at least. I couldn't believe when I first learned women could go without a top... legally...

My sister really seems to enjoy living there.
Old 05-28-10, 06:57 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
The women's/trans only night seems very Columbus to me. There seems to be a higher level of acceptance for others, just me impression at least. I couldn't believe when I first learned women could go without a top... legally...

I found the women/trans only night to be odd myself. Not bad, I'm just surprised anyone thought to include transgender persons. I've never been to the co-op, but I'd like to check it out sometime.

As far as topless women being legal, that is true. Though far too few of them exercise that right, IMO. Usually just at Comfest.

Columbus is ok. The Short North has a lot of dining and nightlife to offer.
Old 06-01-10, 05:07 PM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was born and raised here and the more I discover, the more I love. There are some rumors floating around that we will soon have a periogi truck and a crepe truck running around.

If she goes to any of the big festivals, tell her to check out Pedal Instead. We provide free bike parking at any event that contracts with us. No need to carry a lock.
Old 06-01-10, 10:02 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Originally Posted by politicalgeek
I was born and raised here and the more I discover, the more I love. There are some rumors floating around that we will soon have a periogi truck and a crepe truck running around.

If she goes to any of the big festivals, tell her to check out Pedal Instead. We provide free bike parking at any event that contracts with us. No need to carry a lock.
Will do. A periogi truck is an interesting concept. What is the pizza delivery vehicle that has something big mounted on top... can't quite remember what it was.
Old 06-02-10, 10:52 AM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will do. A periogi truck is an interesting concept. What is the pizza delivery vehicle that has something big mounted on top... can't quite remember what it was.

The Limo? That would be Hound Dog's