Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1987 Schwinn Voyageur Restoration (pic heavy)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1987 Schwinn Voyageur Restoration (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 11:29 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
An update.

I'm finishing up my chrome Voyageur 11.8 and it has more similarities than differences with this bike and so I decided to change the copper Voyageur up so that it could serve a more functional purpose (I don't intend on doing much, if any, fully loaded touring).

I had the BB and head tube faced as I couldn't get the headset dialed in correctly. The mechanic who did the facing said that the caged bearings were specific to top and bottom and I had them backwards. He said he only knows of one other headset like this, a Campy Super Record (I think). I had no idea.

I set it up with some Albatross bars, Technomic Deluxe stem, Tektro levers and cork grips. I switched the housing to grey Jagwire and I think it looks better with the frame color. I also replaced the VO brakes with the originals and glued on the head badge. Also added were the Dajia Expedition rear rack and Spanninga Plateo taillight and Micro FF LED headlight (with a stand light!). The shifting is about as smooth as can be.

I'm still dialing in the saddle and bars for the best fit. I put in some miles this weekend in the 94 F, uber-humid weather and found out quickly that shellaced cork grips aren't grippy enough when you're hands are sweating like crazy. I'm going to install some inexpensive panniers and probably use a VO handlebar bag on the front as this bag is meant for my chrome bike. Here are a few cell pics.

Old 05-31-11, 11:41 AM
Beach Comber

Bikes: 1973 Peugeot UE-8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2010 Trek 1.2, 2012 Bianchi Siempre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful!!

Did you use VO's little crown eye bolt for the front fenders? And if so, did you find their washer adequate, or did you need to augment it?
Old 05-31-11, 11:47 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

^
Thanks! I used the included daruma bolt. On my most recent fender installs I've taken to using two of the rubber washer. Actually, I use one and a half. I cut one on the bias and use it against the fender. This helps compensate for the fact that the VO fenders do not have the "dent" under the crown as some Honjo fenders do. I may have trimmed the daruma bolt, I can't recall.

Old 05-31-11, 11:56 AM
Beach Comber

Bikes: 1973 Peugeot UE-8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur, 2010 Trek 1.2, 2012 Bianchi Siempre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it. I ordered one for my Tanakas, instead of the little L-brackets. From the VO pictures, it looked too thin. I figured some tweaking would be necessary.
Old 06-09-11, 11:04 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
A masterful transformation! But then again, those are the only kind expected from you.

How do you like it as more of an upright bike? It's striking how similar your conversion is to the Shogun touring bike that I transformed in a similar vein:

How are you liking the Spanninga lights? I have come to really like them.
Old 06-09-11, 11:17 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by southpawboston
A masterful transformation! But then again, those are the only kind expected from you.
Aw, shucks. Thanks!

How do you like it as more of an upright bike? It's striking how similar your conversion is to the Shogun touring bike that I transformed in a similar vein:
We have very similar tastes, Anton. I love that Shogun! I'm really, really liking the upright position. The Albatross bars are really as comfortable as I've read. I recently ordered some of the Dia Compe knob grips as I've been using the forward bend to stretch out a bit. It's a comfortable position and the grips should work swell. I am also switching the stem to the VO quill. The Technomic Deluxe isn't quite tall enough and I think the small amount of rise in the VO stem will look good with this setup.

The saddle is working fine (I have tilted it back since posting those photos above), but may switch it for a B67. The rear rack and Axiom Seymour LX panniers are so useful. It's really great to have a bike in the stable that can haul some stuff.

I've been running the Jack Browns at 65-70psi. I know I'd fall in love with 42mm 650B tires if I tried them.

How are you liking the Spanninga lights? I have come to really like them.
I've yet to ride in the dark, so I can't really comment on the beam. I don't expect to like it as much as my E6. I'm very happy, though, to have a standlight. The rear light is huge. It doesn't flash, but that's ok with me. I think Spanninga has some great, very reasonably priced products.
Old 06-09-11, 11:47 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Colonel, I just happened upon this project today and I am thoroughly impressed! That is a beautiful build and truly stunning!

I've also got the VO fluted fenders on my Davidson. They are such a great looking fender for a classic bike like that. Quick question: How do you like the Dajia Expedition rack so far? It has a pretty nice profile, IMO. For my Davidson Tandem, I put a Nitto Big Back Rack which managed to fit as nearly as possible my image of the bike.
Old 06-09-11, 11:56 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Originally Posted by photogravity
Colonel, I just happened upon this project today and I am thoroughly impressed! That is a beautiful build and truly stunning!
Quick question: How do you like the Dajia Expedition rack so far?
Thank you very much.

I like the Dajia rack a lot. It's well built and seems quite sturdy. I would've preferred the finish of a Nitto rack, but this was a good deal cheaper and it'll pretty much be covered up by panniers. The satin-like finish actually works well with the frame color, but doesn't match the front polished SS rack.

It's worth noting that the Dajia barely fit my bike (which was originally built for 27" wheels). I had to cut the struts very short, but they work. The rack is just slightly unlevel. In order to be level, it'd be right where my rear brake cable needs to be. So, I'll have to live with that.
Old 06-09-11, 03:08 PM
Sigurdd50
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a bit late, but a forum member mentioned an idea to me... (about head badges). Apparently You can buy curved badges at National Parks that buyers can fit or fashion on walking sticks... and they make great improv bike head badges.
Old 06-10-11, 08:31 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I would've preferred the finish of a Nitto rack, but this was a good deal cheaper and it'll pretty much be covered up by panniers. The satin-like finish actually works well with the frame color, but doesn't match the front polished SS rack.

It's worth noting that the Dajia barely fit my bike (which was originally built for 27" wheels). I had to cut the struts very short, but they work. The rack is just slightly unlevel. In order to be level, it'd be right where my rear brake cable needs to be. So, I'll have to live with that.
The Nitto cost a lot more than I would have liked to pay but it is a beautifully crafted rack which, should I ever rid myself of the Davidson, will be something that would not go with it. Oh, and Riv had it right when they gave it the Big Back Rack moniker - it has got to be the biggest rack I've seen. For the first time in my life I can truly say I have a big rack and I'm a guy!

WRT the Dajia, if it had been available at the time I bought the Nitto, I probably would have gotten that since it is about half the price. About it being unlevel, I'd certainly not be too concerned with it since it is probably only a couple of degrees and the effect on handling, if any, should be minimal.
Old 08-06-11, 01:26 PM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I like the Dajia rack a lot. It's well built and seems quite sturdy. I would've preferred the finish of a Nitto rack, but this was a good deal cheaper and it'll pretty much be covered up by panniers. The satin-like finish actually works well with the frame color, but doesn't match the front polished SS rack.

I would be tempted to take the rack and spend as stupid amount of time polishing it on my buffing wheel

I've been following this thread for months now and it is very satisfying to see how beautifully your bike turned out.

BRAVO! and congratulations!

Bob
Old 12-17-12, 09:19 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

So a little more than two years on and this bike has seen many transformations. I don't tour so it's relegated to errand duty. It's a heavy bike; quite heavy, actually. I think I really need a zero offset seatpost as the B-17 is all the way forward and it's still not enough (this bike has a more relaxed ST angle than my other bikes). I'm also not crazy about the 48/38/28 triple for how I use the bike, nor the 175mm arms, nor the BioPace rings. But, the fact that I don't put many miles on it on any one ride has kept me from making those changes.

What I have changed is the bars and shifters many times; I like experimenting. It currently sports a Wald basket, Nitto Cro-Mo stem and flat bar and some low-level Shimano 3x8 trigger shifter/brake lever combos. I could stand for the bar to be a couple inches wider, but it's fine as is. As I mentioned, the bike is heavy, and carrying a lot of weight in panniers wasn't fun. The basket is working out OK and I'm getting a child trailer for my daughter that I can use to haul groceries or heavy loads.

My sister-in-law loaned me her fancy Nikon so I thought I would take some new pics of the bike. I'm not quite adept at using this camera yet.

Here it was this summer with some Soma Oxford bars. I was too upright to comfortably carry heavy front loads.

I've had it set up with drop bars and Ergos. I liked that a lot and may revert back to that someday. In the words of Steve Earle, I ain't ever satisfied.

Old 12-17-12, 07:23 PM
Otto Rax
Amazing, but true...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Do you need any decals? I have some NOS Voyageur SP decals laying around that need a frame to live on...

PM if interested