Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What do you listen to?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What do you listen to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 12:24 AM
mapleleafs-13 

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto, Pinarello Montello, Bianchi Celeste

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bikedued
It never was that serious of a music genre. IMHO.,,,,BD
This definitely shows your lack of knowledge in music. If you judge any category of music by just what you hear in the mainstream then you might as well read a book by it's cover. If you don't vibe wit it that's cool but to state that it's not even a serious music genre is a joke. It's always easy to discredit something you don't understand.

Tell me, who has the most No. 1 albums right now? Jay Z, who had it before he broke the record? Elvis presley, not even the Beatles were close.

Notorious BIG "Life after death" album 10x platnium
2pac "Greatest hits" album 9x platinum
Dr. Dre "2001" 6x Platinum
Fugees "the score" 6x platinum
Jay Z has about 5 or 6 albums that are multi platinum
Eminem has many as well
Missy Elliot 5 albums that are multi platinum

Amy Winehouse was a huge fan of Nas and considered him a big inspiration for herself. The song Mr. Jones is about Nas. They later did some collab's on her albums then Nas featured here on his album after her passing.

The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts that takes place in England which is know for contemporary music actually added Jay Z to their headliner. For the first time a hip hop artist had been invited to such an event. Many other music genre specific events have changed so that hip hop artists will participate in their events.

Hip hop is influenced by rock, R&B, motown, disco, jazz and more and hip hop has had a huge impact on other genres. Country, R&B, Pop, Jazz and other types of music have collaborated with hip hop heads/artists.

Like every great genre there is a good and bad. The good hip hop is the realest music in my opinion. It went and tapped topics and subjects that other genres wouldn't even touch and were scared to go into. Hip hop touched way more things in everyday life while the majority of other music stuck to certain styles and what what considered "the norm".

The way that words and verses are used in hip hop are interesting,complex, dope and just real. I broke the reply button on so many albums like Nas's Illmatic, Jay's Reasonable doubt and Snoop's doggystyle but i can still find new plays on words and meanings to lyrics when i listen.

Hip hop is language, a culture and not just a genre. You have to have an IQ to really understand what's going on and what rappers are saying. It's just going to sound like gibberish to the average human pea-sized brain.

You also state that "It can't be taken seriously anymore. Especially as an art form" but i question if you really know anything about hip hop. I take it you haven't listened to Kendrick Lamar's "good kid, m.A.A.d city", Rick Ross's "god forgives, I don't", Action Bronson's "Well done", Asap rocky's "long live A$ap". The list of albums can easily go on and on for the new stuff and are endless for the older stuff.

Hip hop isn't art? Hip-hop originated in the 70's and today you can barely go anywhere without it being on radio play, tv shows, billboards, advertising, fashion and maintstream.

To me Hip hop is bomb and the truth, but i know it isn't for everyone but that goes for any genre in music. Hip hop is here to stay and ain't goin to go anywhere soon.

Last edited by mapleleafs-13; 11-01-13 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-01-13, 01:05 AM
Frenchosa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am mostly stuck in the 80s with music, especially New Zealand pop/ indie music... The Clean, The Bats, Able Tasmans, The Chills,Jean Paul Sartre Experience. I liked them since then. Recently, I also try to listen to albums that were released the year I was born, 1969... currently listening to Joy Byrd and the Field Hippies. Not much into current music... but I like Bill Callihan / Smog and also the latest Swan's album is amazing. When I eat dinner with my family.. we usually listen to 50's and 60's Jazz. I don't listen to music much when I ride... but for long mountain climbs that don't have too many cars I do... Bill Callahan's Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle is an awesome album to climb to..

A few years ago I got into krautrock... Can, Neu!, Faust. I think some of the best music of the 70s came from Germany.

On my commute.. which I am very familiar of all the dangerous points.. I listen to pod cast... mostly sports and history. Music distracts me too much

Last edited by Frenchosa; 11-01-13 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-01-13, 03:50 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Depends

On a beautiful sunny day with much traffic, I listed to the sounds around me.
If my wife is with me, I listen to her. Sometimes.
Less nice, less traffic, I listed to classic rock - Deep Purple, Grand Funk, CSN maybe Y, and Motown.
On Sunday, I listen to sermons from Denton Bible Church in Denton Texas.
Old 11-01-13, 06:37 AM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
In my retail shop it's James Brown as the Pandora seed.
When I'm not there I don't know what the mechanics play.
Old 11-01-13, 06:41 AM
EBH

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alot of different stuff, but amongst favourites are Turbonegro, GNR, AC/DC and Bob Marley.
Old 11-01-13, 06:50 AM
JReade

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nothing when I'm riding, and whatever the co-op is playing when I'm wrenching. I've ridden with earbuds in, and I think it's cool sometimes, but I always have them poppingo ut because I turn my head to look at traffic, to check the guy behind me, etc etc.
Old 11-01-13, 06:51 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
SPLIT ENZ .....man.
Old 11-01-13, 07:09 AM
ahmetcan44

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 3.1 (Red) | Specialized Allez (Tiagra) | Carraro Ride 28 Hybrid (Deore)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost everything.

Nowadays, Daft Punk's Harder Better Faster Stronger live 2007 remix. Dunno why but it drives me crazy.
Old 11-01-13, 07:21 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Confusing quantity with quality of music is a common issue with music of the last ten to twenty years. Just because it sells a lot of copies, doesn't necessarily make it good. That's all I have to say on the matter.,,,,BD

Last edited by Bikedued; 11-01-13 at 07:32 AM.
Old 11-01-13, 08:55 AM
bici_mania

Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleleafs-13
This definitely shows your lack of knowledge in music. If you judge any category of music by just what you hear in the mainstream then you might as well read a book by it's cover. If you don't vibe wit it that's cool but to state that it's not even a serious music genre is a joke. It's always easy to discredit something you don't understand.

Tell me, who has the most No. 1 albums right now? Jay Z, who had it before he broke the record? Elvis presley, not even the Beatles were close.

Notorious BIG "Life after death" album 10x platnium
2pac "Greatest hits" album 9x platinum
Dr. Dre "2001" 6x Platinum
Fugees "the score" 6x platinum
Jay Z has about 5 or 6 albums that are multi platinum
Eminem has many as well
Missy Elliot 5 albums that are multi platinum

Amy Winehouse was a huge fan of Nas and considered him a big inspiration for herself. The song Mr. Jones is about Nas. They later did some collab's on her albums then Nas featured here on his album after her passing.

The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts that takes place in England which is know for contemporary music actually added Jay Z to their headliner. For the first time a hip hop artist had been invited to such an event. Many other music genre specific events have changed so that hip hop artists will participate in their events.

Hip hop is influenced by rock, R&B, motown, disco, jazz and more and hip hop has had a huge impact on other genres. Country, R&B, Pop, Jazz and other types of music have collaborated with hip hop heads/artists.

Like every great genre there is a good and bad. The good hip hop is the realest music in my opinion. It went and tapped topics and subjects that other genres wouldn't even touch and were scared to go into. Hip hop touched way more things in everyday life while the majority of other music stuck to certain styles and what what considered "the norm".

The way that words and verses are used in hip hop are interesting,complex, dope and just real. I broke the reply button on so many albums like Nas's Illmatic, Jay's Reasonable doubt and Snoop's doggystyle but i can still find new plays on words and meanings to lyrics when i listen.

Hip hop is language, a culture and not just a genre. You have to have an IQ to really understand what's going on and what rappers are saying. It's just going to sound like gibberish to the average human pea-sized brain.

You also state that "It can't be taken seriously anymore. Especially as an art form" but i question if you really know anything about hip hop. I take it you haven't listened to Kendrick Lamar's "good kid, m.A.A.d city", Rick Ross's "god forgives, I don't", Action Bronson's "Well done", Asap rocky's "long live A$ap". The list of albums can easily go on and on for the new stuff and are endless for the older stuff.

Hip hop isn't art? Hip-hop originated in the 70's and today you can barely go anywhere without it being on radio play, tv shows, billboards, advertising, fashion and maintstream.

To me Hip hop is bomb and the truth, but i know it isn't for everyone but that goes for any genre in music. Hip hop is here to stay and ain't goin to go anywhere soon.
I think the only thing you clearly establish is that there is no accounting for taste.

Throughout history art was a higher aesthetic than the mundane, it required sacrifice and mastery of a skill. Only in modern western culture has the label "art" been applied to low, mundane or degenerative things, or musings. Things that are easily copied, reproduced and make no aspirations to anything higher.

There are no doubt those in the hip-hop world who are artist, but they are largely overshadowed, hidden from view or simply forgotten because the "audience", lacking any discernible taste is buying music and concert tickets for ultra-violent, misogynistic, 'artist' who seem to lack any true understanding of the English language or how to properly wear their clothes.

"Music" executives will do anything to sell albums and concert tickets and it is a well established fact that people lacking independent cognitive skills will go anywhere, do anything or buy anything so long as they believe everyone else is too.

Referring to others that do not share your interest or taste as having a pea-sized brain or an IQ to assert that they lack the sophistication to appreciate hip-hop demonstrates your own lack of understanding of the roots of hip-hop and suggest a lack of a full understanding of the English language.

"Art" is difficult to define and has different meanings to different people. Regardless of how they felt about it, everyone pretty much agreed that Michelangelo produced art. A lot of people think that Piet Mondrian was a great artist, but I don't. Chiefly because I think the several hundred doodles on textbook covers and on every scrap piece of paper that I 'produced' were every bit as good as his most well known painting:

My High School English/Art/Theater teach though I was a buffoon lacking any sensible taste. He is probably right but I thought the same thing about him. I am certain that I am right. But at the end of the day, there were no insults, neither was offended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
piet-mondrian.jpg (99.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-01-13, 09:16 AM
rootboy 

Originally Posted by bici_mania
Hey ...if that Mondrian was good enough for LOOK bicycles... it's good enuf for me.

(I never cared for Mondrian either, but what I care for hasn't anything to to do with anything. Except to me.)
Old 11-01-13, 09:32 AM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lifetime classical pianist here, so I mostly listen to my fantastic predecessors on the instrument, all the way back to Josef Hofmann recordings from the 1920s and 30s, but I'm also a big fan of orchestral and chamber music, with a special place in my heart for the great violinists, but a general antipathy to opera. My personal tastes are in the post-Beethoven world through to the first 20 or so years of the 20th century, with Ravel and Debussy particular favorites.
Old 11-01-13, 10:29 AM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by bici_mania

"Art" is difficult to define and has different meanings to different people. Regardless of how they felt about it, everyone pretty much agreed that Michelangelo produced art. A lot of people think that Piet Mondrian was a great artist, but I don't. Chiefly because I think the several hundred doodles on textbook covers and on every scrap piece of paper that I 'produced' were every bit as good as his most well known painting:

Wow, big talk! Can you back it up? Doubtful.

Piet Mondrian was one of the great artists of the 20th Century. This is beyond dispute. Mondrian, along with Theo Van Doesburg, Gerrit Rietveld and Van der Leck created an entirely new artistic genre that encompassed painting, architecture and furniture design they called "De Stijl". To them, ornamentation was inherently corrupt. This was radical stuff in 1917! They really paved the way for the Bauhaus and modern design, and many of the things we take for granted today. To claim that your doodles are the equivalent to the best paintings that Mondrian produced is ludicrous.

But I digress! I'm listening to Shovels and Rope these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
mondrian.jpeg (35.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg
imgres.jpg (1.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 11-01-13, 10:37 AM
bici_mania

Originally Posted by rootboy
Hey ...if that Mondrian was good enough for LOOK bicycles... it's good enuf for me.

(I never cared for Mondrian either, but what I care for hasn't anything to to do with anything. Except to me.)
I like Mondrian on Look bicycles much better. Ironically I think it is more artistic in that form.
Old 11-01-13, 10:58 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Not going to wade into the hip-hop thing other than I probably lean more towards bici-mania's points, particularly regarding the music industry. Reminds me of putting jordan's name on a pair of bb shoes and getting 2-3x the going price for them. And so on.

Even though I grew up in the '60s/'70s, I don't listen to much classic rock. I seem to be fixated with early '90s shoegazers lately (Curve and Catherine Wheel), like a lot of '80s stuff (not the pop stuff though), including Split Enz, and listen to modern stuff like Radiohead. I really like a current aussie band (the jezabels) also.

My undergrad was in music and I still listen to classical some as well (mostly Mahler and Shostakovich). I never listen when I ride though as it is too distracting.
Old 11-01-13, 11:59 AM
bici_mania

Originally Posted by Saguaro
Wow, big talk! Can you back it up? Doubtful.

Piet Mondrian was one of the great artists of the 20th Century. This is beyond dispute. Mondrian, along with Theo Van Doesburg, Gerrit Rietveld and Van der Leck created an entirely new artistic genre that encompassed painting, architecture and furniture design they called "De Stijl". To them, ornamentation was inherently corrupt. This was radical stuff in 1917! They really paved the way for the Bauhaus and modern design, and many of the things we take for granted today. To claim that your doodles are the equivalent to the best paintings that Mondrian produced is ludicrous.

Well gee. I am not sure what part of that statement you're asking me to back up.

I created this masterpiece in MS Paint in less than five minutes.

I don't deny that Mondrian was a gifted visionary that made significant contributions that benefited all of humanity in his time and those that came after him. I merely assert that what some people call art others call rubbish and what some call rubbish is art. I think this thread demonstrates that point well enough. That I was able to reproduce this masterpiece in less than five minutes on a computer with out really trying says something to the level of skill required to produce it. To the untrained eye, looking at it on a computer screen, it might even be mistaken as an image of the original.

Merriam Webster defines art as something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings.

I don't see much imagination or skill in this painting and I don't find it beautiful. It evokes no thought or emotion except to wonder "why?" Was it revolutionary?

Believing that ornamentation is inherently corrupt while producing paintings or designing furniture and buildings with unique aesthetic qualities that were structurally/mechanically superfluous, now that there is art.

I was 9 the first time I saw this painting. In this painting, I saw my Grandfather, I felt the warmth of the sun on my face while shivering from a cold wind. I saw a home I wished I had and the pain of loneliness. I could smell my Grandmother's cooking and hear neighborhood kids laughing and playing. I was inspired and devastated all at once, I was moved in a way unlike anything before and it was as profound as any deep south, good ol' Gospel religious experience. It was as memorable as my first kiss or loosing my virginity. I see art of the highest order. This assertion convinced my English teacher that I had no eye for art. My uncle like to point out the lack of precision and skill of Michelangelo or the imagination of Dali or Picasso. To everyone I have shared this with, the most profound reaction has been 'that's cool'.
Attached Images
File Type: png
cheap_copy.png (15.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-01-13, 12:20 PM
rootboy 

Uh oh. A discussion on what is, and isn't....art. Or, good art. This thread may never recover!

OK, uh.... Captain Beefheart.

but like many have said ...never while riding.
If I listened to Big Eyed Beans from Venus while riding, I might never recover.
Old 11-01-13, 12:21 PM
bici_mania

Originally Posted by Pars
(Curve and Catherine Wheel), like a lot of '80s stuff (not the pop stuff though), including Split Enz, and listen to modern stuff like Radiohead. I really like a current aussie band (the jezabels) also.
Dude!

Since I left Texas in '97 I don't think I have hardly encountered anyone who listens to Curve, Catherine Wheel or Split Enz. These bands plus the Lemonheads, Squeeze, Lush, the Church, the Tear Garden, Death in June, the Swans, the Cocteau Twins, The Sundays, This Mortal Coil, these bands and others I can't think of right now make up the soundtrack of my life.

You get unlimited cool points from me.

I had not heard of the Jezabels but just went to Pandora and checked them out. Good stuff.
Old 11-01-13, 12:31 PM
bici_mania

Originally Posted by Saguaro
I just checked them out, not what I usually go for but they are really good, probably a new fan.
Old 11-01-13, 12:57 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
^ I'll have to check those out, thanks! I know I've heard some of them, but not others.
Old 11-01-13, 08:20 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Pars
Not going to wade into the hip-hop thing other than I probably lean more towards bici-mania's points, particularly regarding the music industry. Reminds me of putting jordan's name on a pair of bb shoes and getting 2-3x the going price for them. And so on.

Even though I grew up in the '60s/'70s, I don't listen to much classic rock. I seem to be fixated with early '90s shoegazers lately (Curve and Catherine Wheel), like a lot of '80s stuff (not the pop stuff though), including Split Enz, and listen to modern stuff like Radiohead. I really like a current aussie band (the jezabels) also.

My undergrad was in music and I still listen to classical some as well (mostly Mahler and Shostakovich). I never listen when I ride though as it is too distracting.
Split Enz? They sound like a modern knock off of the Herman's Hermits!
Old 11-02-13, 03:44 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts

Another one of my Japanese bands. Don't know how this one would do for riding cadence.

Asakusa Jinta is a kind of Ska-Celt-swing-punk fusion band (betcha didn't think that was possible did ya) but in the tradition of pre-war Japanese street marching bands.
Old 11-02-13, 04:27 AM
Bikedued

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Caught these guys at Fitzgeralds in Houston about 6-7 years ago on a whim. VERY small venue for these guys, and it was PACKED to the rafters. I was blown away.,,,,BD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY03qSOQJVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbuemrF2Gzw

Last edited by Bikedued; 11-02-13 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-02-13, 05:28 AM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Caught these guys at Fitzgeralds in Houston about 6-7 years ago on a whim. VERY small venue for these guys, and it was PACKED to the rafters. I was blown away.,,,,BD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY03qSOQJVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbuemrF2Gzw
Great stuff. Great instruments. First one reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4M4CdiapyI

Carlos Santana, Feat Mana - Corazon Espinado
Old 11-02-13, 06:48 AM
rootboy 

Which leads me to Lila Downes. That woman has a set of pipes on her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.