Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Triplizers and 37-tooth Model 93 chainrings from Red Clover Components

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-13, 03:04 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts

In addition to the 42-tooth triplizers, which have been discussed here before, I'm also producing 37-tooth standard rings (also in the 93-style 122 BCD) for people who want to stick with a standard double. That's pretty much as small as you can go in the 122 BCD. ("Pretty much" because I have seen pictures of a Japanese-made 36, but the bolt holes were basically right on top of the teeth--not a good thing at all from the standpoint of functionality.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0293.jpg (98.7 KB, 81 views)

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by Barrettscv; 11-21-13 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 11-05-13, 03:29 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Nice site Jon!
Old 11-05-13, 04:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Very cool, Jon. I think that 144BCD triplizer may turn out to be the most popular of the offerings.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-06-13, 09:59 AM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Needing all the help I can get, I am on record as #1 paid customer for a 37t ring.

I'll also be watching for the smaller triplizer for the Stronglight 93.

Still, for a triple Campy NR, I'm happy to drill the arms. Just my taste.

Congrats to Jon for doing this fine work! ! ! !

Owen
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 11-06-13, 10:21 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Jon, Great site with just the right info. Don't have any questions except what BB axle length will be needed to tripilize!
My Stonglight 93 has a 118 spindle so I assume and additional 4mm would be needed?

So this whole topic set is an intersting one for me as I don't have a lot of expereince with all the different solutions and offerings. My estimation is that the distance between race (BB width), the distance from the DS race to the end of the DS spindle (for chain ring offset) and spindle diameter (what cups can be used) are the critical dimensions. Of course the bearing diameter would likely remain 1/4".
Old 11-06-13, 12:22 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by SJX426
Jon, Great site with just the right info. Don't have any questions except what BB axle length will be needed to tripilize!
My Stonglight 93 has a 118 spindle so I assume and additional 4mm would be needed?
So this whole topic set is an intersting one for me as I don't have a lot of expereince with all the different solutions and offerings. My estimation is that the distance between race (BB width), the distance from the DS race to the end of the DS spindle (for chain ring offset) and spindle diameter (what cups can be used) are the critical dimensions. Of course the bearing diameter would likely remain 1/4".
My general rule in converting to a triple has been to add 6mm to the spindle length, which I find usually gives good results. When we're talking about specifically triplizing a Model 93, there's not a very extensive body of experience to draw from yet. I have used JIS spindles on all of the triple conversions I have done so far. A 3T or a 3S seems to give a goodchainline, with the 3S running a little closer to the chainstay. Depending on the frame, it might help to use a 1 or 1.5 mm spacer under the fixed cup with a 3S spindle. I'm not sure about ISO spindles and thin-walled French cups.
For cartridge bottom brackets, a 127.5 mm Shimano UN54 should work. I think the French threaded Grand Cru 122 mm cartridge will also work, although a 2 or 2.5 mm spacer would be needed under the drive-side cup.
It would be great if people would email me (using the jon@redclovercomponents.com address) about what works--or doesn't work--for cup and spindle combinations. I'll plan to create a page on the site that will make that information available. Thanks, everyone.
JV

--Ogden Nash
Old 11-06-13, 12:49 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,526 Times in 1,056 Posts
Great products and great site. I hope this does well for you - I certainly see a market for the triplizers and small-as-possible chainrings for vintage cranks. I just hope that there is enough of a market, and that you can tap into it, for you to thrive. Tailwinds.
Old 11-06-13, 07:53 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
One of Jon's original triplizer installed on a Peugeot PX 10 I built for my organist this summer.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 11-07-13, 01:16 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
I'm sure this is too much of a niche specification; for my gearing preferences I would need a triplizer ring with at least 46 teeth, preferably 48 or 49 to pair well with the ubiquitous 52T rings (i.e. for a half-step + granny setup).
Kudos on your enterprise, anyway.
Old 11-08-13, 08:39 AM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Jon, Nice work on all fronts! I echo the sentiment about 144s likely to be popular - and maybe tricky to execute but I'm not a machinist!). If I'm still rolling when you roll these out, I'll definitely look you up.
As your knowledge base grows about spindle compatibility, BB substitutes, mounting hardware, etc., it would be nice if you include a page of links to currently - manufactured ones. If it's not too much of a can of worms. It might facilitate sales.
Old 11-08-13, 10:23 AM
jonwvara 

Thanks, CF, that's a good idea. The 37 ring mounts like any standard double, but the triple conversion--like any triple conversion--requires a little more planning. I do have a set of installation notes that I've been sending out to triplizer purchasers along with the chainring itself, but I probably should post it on the site also.
JV

--Ogden Nash
Old 11-21-13, 11:10 AM
beeseecleta
beeseecleta

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a great contribution to vintage bike lovers. Do you make TA style chainrings, 50.4 bcd? Those chainrings are needed very badly. I cant find any 46 outers around. Im sure many riders would be very happy to know there are options.
Old 11-21-13, 02:22 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by beeseecleta
This is a great contribution to vintage bike lovers. Do you make TA style chainrings, 50.4 bcd? Those chainrings are needed very badly. I cant find any 46 outers around. Im sure many riders would be very happy to know there are options.
Thanks for the suggestion. These are the 6-arm TA rings you're talking about, correct? I have no experience with them. No doubt you have looked into the reproduction 50.4 rings sold by VO and concluded that they don't work for you. Maybe I'll make some in the future.

Old's'cool, I'd also love to make triplizers in some half-step sizes, although left to myself I would likely have started with a 44, for combining with a 48 big ring. (I ride that combination on a couple of my bikes and like it a lot--my legs are too feeble for a 52-48.)

The problem is that for the time being I'm pretty much limited to the rings I'm now making. I don't have the capital to make a bunch of very specific rings that it might take me years to break even on. I've had requests for 119 BCD Zeus rings, first generation reverse-curve Rene Herse rings in 34 teeth, etc. There are also people waiting for a 37-, 38- or 40-tooth triplizer. Any one of those would make someone happy, but I need to focus on rings that will make enough people happy. Even making the 144 triplizer, which I'm guessing would be one of the more saleable things I could do, is far from a sure thing. My plan is to go ahead with the 144 once I've sold enough of my current inventory to pay the production costs of the next round.
But thanks. Even though I have to be selective, it's really useful to hear what suggestions people have.
Jon V

--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 11-21-13 at 02:27 PM. Reason: proofreading ineptitude
Old 11-21-13, 04:19 PM
beeseecleta
beeseecleta

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, the 6 holed chainrings is what Im talking about. I think 48-44 outers, 42, 40, 39, and 36-28 inners would sell. I see those sizes bid on Ebay all the time. I think VO sells similar chainrings, but I would rather buy chainrings with the classic look of old school TA chainrings. The half step and granny gear is very popular for touring and even commuting.

I totally understand what you mean about the need to sell your inventory first. Lots of riders like the Stronglight 93 cranksets and the many 144bcd cranksets like the Campy NR, SR, Sugino mightys around, the lack of a granny gear to bail out on keep those cranksets in the parts bin or on the weekend ride.
Youre on to something, and I hope lots of people find your products.
Old 12-30-13, 11:38 PM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Excellent 37t chainrings now road tested.

Greetings old friends.

It's been a while since I have posted anything on BF-C&V. But now that the holiday season is quickly passing and winter projects are likely returning to everyone's minds, I wanted to share my enthusiastic support for Jon Vara's 37t 122BCD chainrings. I've now had two of them fitted on a couple of frequently ridden Stronglight cranksets, both a model 49D and a model 93, and they are truly excellent substitutes for those seeking the smallest plausible inner chainring for a stealthy build on a vintage bike.

The difference in gearing is really quite noticeably lower than when using 42t or even 40t inner rings. On my bikes fitted with 14-28t freewheels, it "feels" as if I suddenly have a another cog of perhaps 32t or larger. The shifting with the new chainrings is wonderfully smooth, precise and quiet with a 5 or 6 speed freewheel and running an 8-speed chain. My ageing legs really appreciate all the help I have available for the steeper local hills.

I just recently bought yet another chainring - call it a Christmas present to myself. The website price of $80 may seem like a lot. But, you could pay that much for a modern, top-end, currently manufactured, Campagnolo or Shimano 39t chainring and those are mass produced and readily available virtually anywhere. Perhaps once a year you might find an original 38t Stronglight ring on eBay. From what I've seen, those rare and rapidly diminishing pieces sell for considerably more.

Jon had carefully measured his handmade rings from original vintage examples and from there reduced the number of teeth to within the practical limits. This means they are a seamless fit on your vintage cranksets, both mechanically and visually as well. Like any chainrings should, they are counter-bored to neatly seat the base of the threaded chainring nuts. And they have a fine polished finish which he was careful to replicate - and that additional process alone was not cheap.

Before you even ask... No, I'm in no way paid for this sincere endorsement. But I do think it is important to support and encourage such endeavors among our little community of vintage bike nuts. I hope he quickly breaks even and also makes a few bucks. Maybe I'm being a bit selfish in my thinking. But with any luck, success in this modest venture may encourage him to tackle even more useful projects for those of us determined to keep our cherished old components both functioning smoothly, and also expanding their practical usage.

Great job, Jon! Keep up the fine work and I wish you much success in the new year. Check out his website here to read more details of these chainrings and also his triplizers which can offer even lower gearing: https://www.redclovercomponents.com/

I would post more photos of my own if the weather were not so chilly. But, this set on Flickr may give you a reasonable idea of how they look and how nicely they blend with the older components. https://www.flickr.com/photos/strongl...7637634748426/

My warm wishes for a joyous New Year to all!

Ol' Bob
... from the foot of the Southern Rocky Mountains of New Mexico, USA
Old 12-31-13, 07:41 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Stronglight, great to see you pop back up, or back in, which ever best describes your post!

The only other piece of information to add to your fantastic endorsement of Redclover Components and Jon's products is to remind folks that these are Made in the USA (and more specifically Vermont) chainrings. Jon is working with a local machinist and small shop to produce these 122BCD rings. These have not been designed here and then outsourced overseas and made by the 1000s or 100,000s. Instead they are helping to keep a small business open, running, and hopefully making a living for a handful of employees. And that is a good thing!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 12-31-13, 08:13 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Great, great stuff. I think this endeavor gets my vote for best "new/vintage" product of the year thread.
Old 01-01-14, 07:29 PM
LeicaLad 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
++1!

I have one of the 37t chainrings, too.

I can only echo the great appreciation for Jon and his efforts. Fabulous products.

If you've got a 122bcd crankset, you owe it to yourself to either triplize it or get that 37t lowest gear.

Thanks, yet again, Jon.

Owen
* 1971 Gitane Super Corsa (crashed)
* rebuilt as upright cruiser
1971 Gitane Super Corsa #2 (sweet replacement)
1980 Ritchey Road Touring (The Grail Bike)
1982 Tom Ritchey Everest
(replacing stolen 1981 TR Everest custom)
1982 Tom Ritchey McKinley (touring pickup truck)
1985 ALAN Record (Glued & Screwed. A gift.)
Old 01-02-14, 03:36 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
As soon as the 144 tripleizers are available I want #1 . I'll even pay cash, not like me at all......

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)