Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

An honest thread about why bike commuting is better

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

An honest thread about why bike commuting is better

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-15, 08:51 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
I know!

From now on all goods will be transported by drone.

All people will move by bicycle.

Don't ask me what we will do about all the drone parts raining down from the collisions up above... Wait... Covered bike paths!!!
Flying pigs will be used as drones in the car-free utopia; the falling drone parts will be "all natural," as well as "organic"! Groovy!
Old 02-11-15, 02:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
No need to wonder, just ignore reality and all will be well in the car free utopia where everybody rides without any concern for insignificant issues like family, time, distance, geography, health, weather, cargo, safety, etc.
I could move to Venice.
And just take a boat wherever I need to go
Old 02-11-15, 02:30 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I could move to Venice.
too many tourists ... Venicia is a dump
Old 02-11-15, 02:35 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
And Venezia?
Old 02-11-15, 04:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
"Reasonable cycling distance" is different for each individual...It all depends on your lifestyle and how many different responsibilities you have to juggle each day. Location is very important. A 10 mile ride may be easy in some places and hell to ride through in other places. There is no one size fits all "reasonable cycling distance" for everybody.
Old 02-11-15, 05:00 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
And Venezia?
you know, that didn't look right when I typed it ... needed more espresso in the morning.
Old 02-11-15, 08:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
I could move to Venice.
You could take a boat to commute wherever you want to go in Eugene Or, and so could everybody else, as long as you and everybody else in Eugene are willing to ignore the limitations of commuting by boat.
Old 02-11-15, 09:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
We do need better infrastructure, yes, but most trips taken in the US are three miles or less. Three miles or less!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-11-15, 09:32 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Do you ride a bike, walk, or take a bus on public roads?

Do you buy food and supplies that were transported on public roads? Manufactured by individuals that utilized the public roads to get to work?
What a juvenile strawman. Surely those suffering from car head can do better than this?

No one here is railing against freight or mass transit. In fact, I enthusiastically and passionately support dedicated infrastructure for mass transit and freight. Unlike the vast, vast majority of trips in motorized people carts, freight is often an essential service and should be treated more like an essential utility with public support of infrastructure, technology, and sustainability.

Comparing essential services with the motorized "Wall-E" people carts that are having tragic impacts on health, safety, the environment, and urban livability is pure unadulterated tripe. The vast majority of trips by motorized arm-chair in urban areas could be accomplished via cycling, walking, and/or public transport. I personally am absolutely fed up with being threatened with injury, maiming or death as a walker or person who cycles by sociopathic cage users. And I am livid at the damage this mostly selfish mode of transport is doing to our health and our shared environment.
Old 02-11-15, 09:53 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
You're paying for infrastructure you don't use? So all the products you buy, the food you eat, the consumables you consume, the construction supplies that make up the building you work and live in...etc...those were not delivered by trucks that use the highway system?
So...you...apparently...believe...that 10-12 lane highways exist due to "freight".

Seriously???

Moreover, long-haul trucking is hardly as damaging to the environment, human health, and livability as low-occupancy people cart use.

Please play again.
Old 02-11-15, 10:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I didnt find Antwerp, Kortrijk Ypres Brugges or any of the smaller towns that hard to ride my touring load bike thru ..

Brussels is full of EU and Belgian Bankers and Bureaucracies that, whose staff I suppose, feel themselves too important to cycle.
Old 02-11-15, 12:22 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
So...you...apparently...believe...that 10-12 lane highways exist due to "freight".

Seriously???

Moreover, long-haul trucking is hardly as damaging to the environment, human health, and livability as low-occupancy people cart use.

Please play again.
No, I don't believe that. What percentage of highways are actually 10 or 12 lanes wide? A very small percentage I would guess. A convenient example for your argument, but most highways are not 10 or 12 lanes.

I do believe that my taxes used to maintain highways are necessary, even though I personally don't own a car.
Are cars over used? Sure. To claim your car free lifestyle somehow opts you out of being dependent on a society that you live in is a stretch, at best...and ignorant to boot. You pay federal taxes and part of those taxes are used to maintain the highway system that every American depends on to maintain their lifestyle. People that drive cars pay additional taxes on top of their federal taxes when they buy gas or register their cars. Actually, the roads that most cyclists use are not federally funded roads, and much of the money to maintain those roads is paid for by car registration, tickets and gas taxes. I think it is a fair system.

Let's not make the fallacious jump to adding arguments to the subject, just to prove a point. The rant about car pollution is a separate argument. What does it have to do with paying federal taxes?

Last edited by cobrabyte; 02-11-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 04:58 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
The Bay Area and Sacramento, now linked by the Amtrak Capitals train, have loads of upper-middle class (and higher) income folks on trains and buses. This is an incredibly spread out region, the type of place where one can go for century-length bike rides with minimal traffic but still be within reach of suburbs and cities. In many places of employment thereabouts, public transit use is considered the norm and people ask why you drove in to work if you happen to bring a car on occasion, assuming you have something special planned. Heck, many companies have contracted with Muni to use the bus stops for company buses, which are basically just privately run express commuter buses with a single destination.

The public transit, while functional, is hardly what I would call robust and it was almost non-existent fifteen years ago. However, the simple addition of the Capitals, light rail in San Jose and some BART extensions have dramatically changed the convenience for millions of people. Well, that and the fact that the freeways reached terminal capacity a quarter-century back. It is all relative and a degraded car experience does help the perception of the public transit option. I now see many bikes on the train and BART, which has relaxed its bike policy to allow bikes around the clock. It's certainly not a paycheck to paycheck crowd on the public transit.
I think we're using different definitions of robust then. A public transit system that is more preferable to private transportation would definitely qualify as robust to me. If you can structure your life conveniently using public transit, that's robust to me. For comparison-your light rail alone is 3x busier than Houston's, and comparatively longer.

I don't think counting company buses as public transit is fair, either-especially when looking at the average salary for those companies vs the average salary for a bus rider in most US cities.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
How difficult or expensive is it to change out the cogs when they wear out?
I'd consider that negligible over the number of miles it takes to wear them out.
Old 02-11-15, 05:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

This story warms my heart. Funding is in proportion to how much they want each mode to be used. So, for instance, they want 20% of trips to be done by bike, so bike infrastructure gets 20%. That's huge. Big changes are bound to happen.

[h=2]How San Luis Obispo Established the Most Powerful Bike Funding Policy in the Nation[/h]

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-12-15, 12:05 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, noglider.
Old 02-16-15, 11:52 AM
Omiak

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
This story warms my heart. Funding is in proportion to how much they want each mode to be used. So, for instance, they want 20% of trips to be done by bike, so bike infrastructure gets 20%. That's huge. Big changes are bound to happen.

How San Luis Obispo Established the Most Powerful Bike Funding Policy in the Nation
What a bunch of crazy far out utopian moonbeam thinking! Groovy man! Too bad their city will surely collapse into the dark ages because anything but exactly the status quo is impossible.
Old 02-16-15, 12:31 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Omiak
What a bunch of crazy far out utopian moonbeam thinking! Groovy man! Too bad their city will surely collapse into the dark ages because anything but exactly the status quo is impossible.
Right, doing anything useful is impossible so don't bother trying. Whatever.